PDA

View Full Version : Help! My basements stinks!

suzi_f
08-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Like cat pee! And my mother will be here tomorrow night to sleep in the basement. Jack has NEVER had an accident (well, the one time in the car but it wasn't really an accident 'cause he was in the car & couldn't very well make it to his litter box) even when he was locked out of the garage & the litter box for like 10 hours! I can't locate the "source" of the smell. Is there anything else that can smell like cat pee other than cat pee???

I don't know what to do. If he's peeing in the house, dh will KILL him & I can't really blame him. I will NOT have a cat that pees. But he's been de-clawed, he can't really be an outside cat anymore. ARGH!!! I need help. I guess I'm going to have to crawl around on my hands & knees until I find a wet spot (which won't be wet by the time I get home from work & can look for it!!)

mydogstinks2
08-27-2007, 07:33 AM
pretty much just cat pee smells that way. Sprinkle some baking soda down everywhere until you get home to vaccume it up. That will help a little bit. Once yopu find the "spot" where he is going you can treat that to get rid of the smell for good. Check behind things and in the corners first, that is where they usually go.

suzi_f
08-27-2007, 07:41 AM
I knew YOU'D know Chris. I guess I need to change my name to myCATstinks, Huh?

GSMom385
08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Suzi, I use this stuff called Mother's Little Miracle you find it in the baby aisle at the store and it is for diapers. But it really take the stinky out of any pet accident, and it is clear and color safe for carpet furniture or anything. My two always go for a rug or something plastic laying on the carpet when they have an accident. I think they know they will be without a home if they go on my carpet and when they have an accident it is their way of letting me know, "hey I don't feel good take me to the vet". It normally means they have a urinary tract infection a few meds and good as new no problems.

Nadine
08-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Those are good suggestions. Another to get rid of the smell is to put a cup of vinegar in there. It absorbs odors.

directmailscrapper
08-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Do you have a black light? We had a cat who peed in the house and we found this stuff called UrineGone or something like that. We ordered the stuff and it came with a small black light (you know, the type that makes things look fluorescent?). Turns out cat pee glows in the dark under black lite -- so you can find where the accident is. It really works. The room has to be pretty much totally dark and you have to hold the light near the wall, carpet, whatever -- but when you find it -- you'll know it! Also, the pet stores sell stuff that eliminates the order. Good luck!

mcourtney
08-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I use a black light to find the source. I have 2 cats. I use Petzyme stain and odor remover for cats. I get it from PetsMart. It's the best stuff I've found to clean up stains and remove odors.

IMBlessed5
08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
We don't have any cats, but hey I've learned something just reading this thread! Great suggestions!

Suzi, we all have this picture in our heads now of you crawling around on all-fours with a black light looking for "the spot". ;)

suzi_f
08-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Do the big pets stores sell the black light?? I thought the smell might be coming from underneath the stairs (jack's not allowed back there but he gets in sometimes) and it's not. There is absolutely NO WHERE I can see a stain or a wet spot. I'm tempted to make my mom stay down here. Maybe she'll get the hint & go to a hotel.

I am wondering if I should take him to the vet. I somehow thought UTIs were only for girl cats (girl humans seem to be the most affected, right?) but now I wonder. I gotta find out whats wrong before dh gets back from MN (can you believe he's getting to spend a week near the MOA & I can't go for the scrapfest. {pout} I mean, he uses the excuse that he has to be there for business but...... Oh yeah, and I'll have a 10yo w/o a ear peeld 1/2 off his head so there is that.)

Nadine, does the vinegar work if you can't find the soiled spot??? I'm getting a little panicky about this. Mom will be here in less than 24 hours & the litter box smells better than my basement right now.

mcourtney
08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes, PetsMart sells the blacklight. It's about $15.00. They also sell the Odor remover.

suzi_f
08-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Guess where I'm going while ds is at Taekwondo?? I hope PetCo has them since I think that's what we have. PEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW. Stinky, stinky, stinky basement!

suzi_f
08-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Well, PetCo did not have the black light. So, I went to Target, bought a $4 black light bulb & used it in a lamp I already had. Either that doesn't work or the cat did NOT pee on the floor. I give up! I don't have time to mess with this (ds and I spent 2.5 hours working on homework. Not that he HAD 2.5 hours worth of work, it took that long to get him going). My mother is coming today. She has been warned. She said that SHE can find it & she will clean it up. We'll see. (I KNOW my mother. She'll spray some sort of MelaLuca stuff that smells like oregano around the baseboards & that will be it).

I'm done with this project until the weekend!

Spartymom
08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Well good luck and let us know what happens.

threefriends91
08-28-2007, 08:14 AM
we don't have any cats yet but l also learned a lot thanks ladies, l was going to buy dad a cat they say pets are great for sick people. but now l wonder if its a good idea or not

Jailbirdstamper
08-30-2007, 12:22 AM
wow I did not know all of this info and I have two cats!!!!!!

mahodgman
08-30-2007, 12:26 AM
There is a shrub that smells like cat pee. I can't think of which one. You probably don't have any bushes in your basement, but if you have one of them outside an open window that might be the problem. Do let us know what happened when mom got there!