PDA

View Full Version : If you use Prisma color pencils, do you use Gamsol?

directmailscrapper
09-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I usually do -- but I know that the Lockhardt tutorials don't use it. Do you? I haven't tried the blender pencil -- does it work?

scrappinnuts
09-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I do use gamsol...have a blender pencil...havent treid it...but I love the gamsol...I use cheap makeup applicators...they work great.

patcreates
09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't use gamsol because I am very sensitive to chemicals. I use Mineral Oil (Baby Oil). I have tried the blender pencil and it works okay, but I don't like the look and the waxy buildup it leaves.

dreis1
09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I do use Oderless Mineral Spirits. It works great. I could not find Gamsol. Love the effect I get with it. I have heard about the baby oil, but not tried it. Wish I had heard of that before I bought the OMS. Glinda

Jovi
09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I've used Mono Lisa's OMS in the past and then found Gamsol at our local art store... now I only use Gamsol. :)

hutchink
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
I do not use gamsol! I just keep adding colors until it is all smooth!

Erin K
09-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I have done both, I either need to get better at it and fall back in love or cut my losses and sell the lot of them suckers.

JBgreendawn
09-06-2007, 07:08 PM
I Actually DO use the pencil...
I'm really klutzy and i stamp on a folding costco table so, i don't want to knock the chemicals all over the place...
the pencil works for me if i go really light with the pencils then a little harder with the blender one over the top...

Spartymom
09-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Chemicals would scare me. I don't think I'd use Gamsol b/c of the smell and chance it would spill all over.

Erin K
09-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Chemicals would scare me. I don't think I'd use Gamsol b/c of the smell and chance it would spill all over.

I can't smell it.

THATS even scarrier in a way, I can't tell how much is in the air you know?

inkinupstamps
09-06-2007, 07:32 PM
I do NOT use any type of blender, be it odorless Gamsol or Mineral spirits or blender pens. I use my prismacolor pencils alone and blend them by layering color over color. I like it like that.

directmailscrapper
09-06-2007, 08:11 PM
My gamsol has a sponge-like tip -- I just touch the blender stump to the sponge and it picks up enough gamsol to do the trick. It can't spill, it doesn't smell. I'm not crazy about the stumps I bought, though.

Paula Carden
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
I have gamsol (odorless) also blending pens (dove blender and one by Tombow)
I have better luck with gamsol, don't know about mineral/baby oil or the tutorial you speaking of...but would like a line too it.

allinkdup
09-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I use my pencils but with the colorless blender instead of the gamasol.

Jovi
09-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I do NOT use any type of blender, be it odorless Gamsol or Mineral spirits or blender pens. I use my prismacolor pencils alone and blend them by layering color over color. I like it like that.

Jennifer your coloring is AMAZING... you need to give us all a tutorial on how you blend them without using any kind of OMS of blender pens. I've tried and it never looks anything like yours. :cute:

1of2shoes
09-06-2007, 09:50 PM
I do not use any blenders, either. Just layer upon layer of pencil. If you would like the tutorial I did on coloring, let me know ([email protected])and I'll email you the picture. If I uploaded it here, it would print out all grainy. Jennifer: it's the same one I gave you a while back.

Jovi
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I do not use any blenders, either. Just layer upon layer of pencil. If you would like the tutorial I did on coloring, let me know ([email protected])and I'll email you the picture. If I uploaded it here, it would print out all grainy. Jennifer: it's the same one I gave you a while back.

WOW thanks Debbie... I'm sending you an email ;)

tesschap
09-06-2007, 10:04 PM
If I'm in a hurry I use nothing but if I have time for the image to dry I use mineral oil.

Erin K
09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I just played with mine more...

I hate them

I'm gonna sell the buggers.

1of2shoes
09-07-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm sad you're giving up on those "buggers", Erin, but you do such a fantastic job with the markers, I forgive you.

se_stamper
09-07-2007, 07:19 AM
I always use Gamsol with mine, always :)

se_stamper
09-07-2007, 07:21 AM

Your coloring is simply gorgeous!!

teabear
09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
No gamsol here, either. I learned the way Debbie did from Terry Medaris, but she has it perfected. I'm such an amateur in coloring. I still avoid it when I can. Need to practice more.

lovemypaper
09-08-2007, 09:07 PM
OK ladies' I have been reading everything you all have said about gamsol. So I went to one of our local art store and purchase a big can of it. It was on sale for around 10 bucks. So This will be my first time coloring and using gamsol so wish me luck.

Deborah

smileycollector
09-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Wishing you GOOD LUCK Deborah, but I doubt you're going to need it. I think you're going to love this technique and enjoy it immensely! Coloring with prismacolor pencils and blending with gamsol (odorless mineral spirits) has brought a new dimension to cardmaking for me. I love it!
I ran out of gamsol and couldn't find it locally so I'm currently using Turpenoid which is another brand of oderless mineral spirits. I really can't tell the difference. Hobby Lobby has the Turpenoid.