PDA

View Full Version : Prismacolor versus Faber-Castell

RenFromPenn
09-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I noticed that it seems as though most of you favor Prismacolor pencils, but I have read several reviews that they tend to break. For this reason, I was considering purchase Faber-Castell pencils instead. Do any of you use those and what do you think of them?

inkinupstamps
09-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Heather. You pose a good question as to preference. My vote, without hesitation, is for Prismacolor pencils.

I tried a wide range of brands of colored pencils, but hands down, without a doubt the color and flow of prismacolor is the best.

As for breakage, I do not have a problem with breakage at all. I will admit that that was one of my concerns when I first got my pencils but it had to do with how I was sharpening them. I no longer have the least bit of worry about breakage.

I do have Faber-Castell pencils and I find them "ok" but not nearly as nice as Prismacolor.

Just my opinion.

aselahop
09-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I never have a problem with mine breaking either. I've used Faber-Castell as well and prefer Prismacolor pencils. Remember that the softness of the lead is the one quality that makes Prismacolor pencils better. It enables them to blend better, to layer the colors on top of each other. And it also makes them easier to blend with using a solvent.

teabear
09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
If prisma pencils are dropped the lead can shatter inside the pencil leading to breakage. As long as you are careful with them, this shouldn't happen. Love my pretty prismas :)

RenFromPenn
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
As for breakage, I do not have a problem with breakage at all. I will admit that that was one of my concerns when I first got my pencils but it had to do with how I was sharpening them. I no longer have the least bit of worry about breakage.

What is the right way to sharpen them? How does this differ from the way that one normally sharpens a pencil?

inkinupstamps
09-12-2007, 08:00 PM
What is the right way to sharpen them? How does this differ from the way that one normally sharpens a pencil?

I'm afraid I didn't make that statement very clear. It isn't that there is any particular technique to sharpening the pencils. What I was doing the first few times I sharpened them was as I was holding the pencil in the sharpener I was twisting the pencil counter to the turn of the sharpener. It isn't something one thinks about. Anyway, when I stopped doing that and held the pencil still they no longer broke.

Also, there really isn't any special sharpener that is best. Some people will tell you a small hand held is it! Others will say only use an electric. I have both. I find my cheap walmart electric works wonderfully. I have a high quality hand held sharpener. It works just fine...I'm lazy though. I like the ease of my electric.

buggainok
09-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I bought the small Prismacolor hand sharpener when I got my pencils. It cost about $3. I did see a tip on someone's blog to rotate the pencil in the sharpener, and not rotate the sharpener.

It took a little time, but I got all 72 of my pencils sharpened without breaking a one!

mahodgman
09-12-2007, 09:15 PM
A few of my Prismacolor pencils have breakage issues, and I assume it is because they have been dropped. The majority of the pencils in my 120 ct. box are fine. After taking a Prismacolor pencil class from Terry Medaris, I bought the pencil sharpener he uses. http://www.terrymedarisartstamps.net/ It is a Panasonic KP-4A portable battery operated one. Like this http://www.discountofficeitems.com/panasonic-battery-operated-pencil-sharpener-pankp4abk-p-10297.html

I've never used Faber-Castell pencils, so I can't compare.

JBgreendawn
09-12-2007, 10:43 PM
the prisma pencils i bought came with a metal sharpener that reads made in Germany on the back of it...

the thing with all pencils is you want ones that when you look at the lead head on it needs to be centered in the wood, if its offset the pencil will not sharpen as well and you'll split the lead most often or not...

the thing that i like esp. well about my prisma pencils ( and i own several brands) is the color goes on a little smoother and the lead is a little softer so its just easier to blend the colors with.

hth,

scrappinnuts
09-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I have both types...not much breakage with the prismacolor...I love how they blend...the faber-castell they are nice for regular coloring...but I almost always reach for my prisma's...JMO

Jovi
09-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I've heard that some ladies put their Prismacolor pencils in the freezer before sharpening... they also use the sharpener that is for Prismas.

I've only used Prismas so I can't tell you about the other brands... and I sharpen mine with a regular ole electric pencil sharpener. I've never had any problems with breakage.

;)