PDA

View Full Version : Post #5,000!

teabear
09-13-2007, 10:15 AM
It's official...I blab way too much. This is my 5,000th post here at the shack in less than a year. So, to celebrate let's get to know each other a little better. Tell us some fun little thing about yourself that we don't know. I'll start.

I am obsessed with thrift shops and yard sales. I must visit the local thrift store at least twice a week. I have so much ephemera and vintage stuff that I have decided to open an etsy shop.

hbpuppy
09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
:whoohoo:Congratulations Tami. The Etsy shop sounds like a good idea.

I grew up always wanting to learn piano. I was obsessed about it. I use to watch people play and when I went to my gramma's I use to play on her organ. My mum always told me we couldn't afford lessons and we didn't have room in our small house for a piano anyways.

So, about 4 or 5 years ago I taught myself to read music and play the piano. I'm not very good but I enjoy it. It's a slow improvement but maybe someday I'll be confident enough to play in front of other people.

emmcee
09-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Congrats on the 5000th post. I think I'm quite a ways a way from that, not that I don't like to chat, I love to chat, sometimes I can't think of anything to say. What a bummer! A woman with nothing much to say, how strange.
But at times, I guess I am kind of strange.

I guess my most interesting thing about myself is my piano lessons. Like hbpuppy, I didn't have a chance when I was growing up. I've started my 3rd year this month. I have a new instructor since my last one moved to FL this summer. The new lady is pretty cool, too. I can read music and remembered most of the notes and signs and stuff from HS band, but I don't have much rythym (sp?). But I have fun, and it's for me and the cat and Paul enjoyed listening to me and that's what counts.

I just read over this and seems like I found a lot to say. :wacko:

inkinupstamps
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I think we have a lot more in common than just rubber stamps, ladies. My life long wish has been to play the cello. I really, REALLY want to learn.

Music was in integral part of my family growing up and both my mother and father were musicians, as well as my 4 siblings. I took voice and violin lessons. I could have taken piano but hey...everyone else took that so not me. I wanted to play the cello but we had two voilins in the family so I didn't have a choice. Besides, my father didn't think it looked very lady like to sit with the instrument between a lady's knees!

Well, I've finally decided some goals in life should be attained and I'm not getting any younger by a long shot. So, I've been researching cellos and instructors in the area. Since I read music anyway and I have violin (string instrument) background, I think I'll fall right into learning to play the cello.

So what is holding me back? $$$$ !! They are expensive. Some day soon I will, I hope.

Christie
09-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Congrats on being a chatter box!! I"m not far behind. I don't really know of anything fun about me. Hmmmm, I like to watch cycling on tv, but that is boring to most people. What else.........nope, nothing else, I guess i'm boring!

directmailscrapper
09-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Tami -- congrats on your milestone!

Something about me... How about this?

When I was a freshman in college, the guy I was dating was on the rifle team. If I wanted to spend time with him, I had to hang around the rifle range with him once or twice a week. On one of those days, one of the guys suggested that I "give it a shot" (sorry for the pun). He was being very macho and acting like the little lady would be luck to point the rifle in the right direction. He showed me how to hold the rifle and how to use the sights -- aim at the paper bullseye -- and guess what? Who knew that I had a God given talent to shoot a rifle? I won the State Champion (men AND women) that year -- broke up with the guy and never shot again.

logcabincreations
09-13-2007, 01:00 PM
5,000 -- woo hoo! I've probably already told some of you my other hobbies: I play piano for my church -- took 9 years of lessons from 3rd grade until I graduated high school. I took 2 years of voice lessons at Roanoke College. I sing with the Bedford Choral Society and Lakeside Singers. I sing with my friend Cheryl -- going on our 26th year singing together -- we are called "Two for Him" and we sing at churches, weddings, receptions, and other occasions. I have an old synthesizer keyboard and Cheryl has sound equipment. Oh -- and I've been in 2 musicals: "Honky Tonk Angels" (2002) and "Dirty Work at the Crossroads" (2003).

logcabincreations
09-13-2007, 01:04 PM
He showed me how to hold the rifle and how to use the sights -- aim at the paper bullseye -- and guess what? Who knew that I had a God given talent to shoot a rifle? I won the State Champion (men AND women) that year -- broke up with the guy and never shot again.

That's amazing! :whoohoo: Here's to women who outshine men in sport shooting!!!!

cindi
09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
:whoohoo:
welcome to the we chat a lot club!! lol!!
hmm...somethimg you may not know???? I can think of lots you won't want to know!!
lets see..
I LOVE seashells, even as a little girl I always had a basket of them in my room, and always have as an adult kept them in my homes. I make sure tO add to my stash everytime I'm near the ocean
:)

loobylou
09-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Congratulations on your top poster award Tami.
If chatting in the chat room counted we'd all be there by now, for sure!

About me...I own a small piece of the Berlin Wall....
I travelled around Europe on my own when I was 22. (1989) Met a guy from the Netherlands in Dubrovnik (Yugoslavia), swapped addresses and he mailed me a small piece of the Berlin Wall taped to the back of a post card a month or so later.

iloveflipflops
09-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Its about time Tami!!! WOO HOO!!!

Ok, now something about me that you all don't know ... gotta think about that one since I tell you all EVERYTHING about me and my family and my life .... hmmmm.... not sure about this ...

I do not eat hamburgers out in restaurants. I have no idea why. I will eat one if we cook it at home but not out somewhere.

That's it ... see isn't that exciting to know!? LOL

tesschap
09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Congratulations on hitting the big 5,000! That is certainly a lot of posting!

Hmmm - something about me - I don't eat or drink after anyone - not even my family! A family that we are friends with thinks it's great in a restaurant to switch my drink if I go to the rest room or take a drink out of my soda when I'm not looking. It literally makes me gag!

shuggy
09-14-2007, 01:20 PM
congrats!!!

i am addicted to using coupons, like 40% off. i'll go to a store and buy something i don't need just because i have a coupon!!!