PDA

View Full Version : My poor 'Bella

inkinupstamps
09-20-2007, 02:34 PM
The Lady Isabella had her annual checkup and shots yesterday. Hard to believe she's a year and a half already.

I've really noticed that she has problems with her back legs the past few months. She'll appear to twist her ankle and cry out in pain and walk three legged in a flash and after what appears to be normal playing. 'Bella has always shuffled when she walks but she's a big dog and Newfs do lumber along so I didn't think too much of that.

Since we've gotten Gabriel I can see how 'Bella's hind leg conformation is not perfect. So, I mentioned this to the vet. He checkout out both hind legs and said that the tendons (or is it ligaments - I get those things confused) that support the knees are slipping off sideways and that causes her knee to go out of place. And YES, she's in pain until it slips back in correctly.

Surgery will be the best answer. It appears that she has this in both of her hind legs but we'd not do both legs at once since recouperation would be very difficult without the use of both hind legs, besides the fact that at 130 pounds she is too heavy for me to pick her up and help her outside and such so we'll have to do one leg at a time.

We are going to try the vets suggestions for a couple of things first to help but it is almost inevitable that eventually she'll need surgery.

It breaks my heart to see her in pain. The pain for now doesn't last long but the damage that can be done by continually having this happen will shorten her life considerable so we are trying to figure out how and when to have the surgery.

Some of you have asked about her and Gabe and I appreciate your concern. Gabriel begins his first obedience classes tonight. He is an absolutely huggable, squeezable lunk and he's such a wonderful addition to our menagerie.

emmcee
09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Poor baby, give her a pat and a hug from me. Makes my knees hurt hearing about Bella's.

GrammaStamper
09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Tell Bella that I totally know what's happening. Give her a big hug from me and here's one for you, too! We had to see our pets in distress.
Glad Gabe is doing well. I was just thinking about your dogs this morning, so glad to see a post.

iloveflipflops
09-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Aw poor Bella is right! We don't want to see them suffer. Ladybug and Tudy send her a great big lick!!!

Erin K
09-20-2007, 04:14 PM
the poor thing! We all love bella!

tesschap
09-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Poor Bella. Bentley says to give her a hug from him (those chocolate lab males can be frisky at times :) )

I would get another opinion. We have friends that have two Newfies - they've had one for at least 10 years and got the second one maybe three or four years ago. He had a simular problem and they refused surgery. They took him to a canine place about 1.5 hours from home for physical therapy every other weekend for awhile. The physical therapy included having the dog swim in some sort of pool and it seemed to help him quite a bit. I haven't see our friends lately but when I do I'll ask how he's doing. Just another option to consider.

My3Ds
09-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Poor Bella. Big hugs for her.

workin4stamps
09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Poor Bella! I hope that you can work this out without surgery, but like you said, that's not very likely :-(

Colby sends his love to her, too!

:-)
Traci

Tantalize
09-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Awww poor Bella. Big hugs to both of you.

JBgreendawn
09-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Poor Bella,
Poor Mom too...

(( HUGS!!))

GotCats?
09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Awwww...I HATE that! Have you tried glucosamine? WOrks wonders for dogs (humans too!)

My kitty has eye issues right now with tears dripping down her face for weeks. I know how you feel--she has been to three vets in the past 2 weeks and it breaks my heart that I can't fix it NOW!!!!
What would we do without our furbabies?
Tricia

1of2shoes
09-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Poor 'Bella!

tojoco
09-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Bella! Reba here. I'm sorry you're not feeling too good (bark, bark). I hope it all works out so you don't have to go to the hospital for surgery but if you do (bark, bark) I'll be right here thinking and praying for you to make a quick recovery. You tell your momma to take good care of you (ruff, ruff). I know she will. Please let me know what happens, okay Bella? I'll talk to you soon. Love, Reba. (bark, bark, hiccup [from crying for you]).

ellie
09-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Poor Bella...please give her a scratch from her Auntie Ellie and please keep us posted.

teabear
09-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Poor girl. I know this must be so hard for you, Jennifer. Sending lots of hugs and dog kisses from my crowd to yours.

inkinupstamps
09-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Awww golly, you guys are so sweet! Thanks for your kind thoughts and advice too.

Tess, I'm most definitely going to try other avenues first. One thing is she's going to have to lose about 5 pounds. She's a good weight for her breed and size but the vet said that even losing 5 pounds would take a lot of stress off those hind legs (weight bearing) and that I should try to keep her as "skinny" as possible. I told him "no lady likes to have her doctor tell her she needs to lose weight!" He laughed but said in her case he'd tell her anyway.

Tricia, what is glucosamine? I'll look it up.

Thanks again, from 'Bella to all her furry friends slurps, licks and pats. She loves that kind a stuff. So do I. You guys are great!

GotCats?
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey Jennifer!
Glucosamine is like a vitamin that helps with joints. Very good for arthritis. You can find in any wal-mart, sam's, drug store, anywhere. Works really well for dogs with bad joints like bad hips and knees. I have been taking it daily myself cause my knees have been acting up to the point that for a week after I would ride my bike I was in so much pain I could not get up the steps. Once I took glucosamine it was MUCH better. However, it does take a while to get into the system and take effect. Start with large doses, then after about 2-3 weeks drop it down. If you go to petstores and look in the dog medicine at the joint meds, they will say glucosamine. Cheaper to go to dept store to get a huge bottle of it.

Hope it helps...
Tricia

maxiesmom
09-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Oh poor Bella! I'm so sad for her. Chester has knee problems from time to time, but he's just fat and lazy(did I say that out loud?). Hopefully the other methods you mentioned to try first will help.
Sending her hugs and biscuits, some for Gabe too. The big ole cuties!

cecescraps
09-21-2007, 07:36 PM
OH, poor Bella. Is this common for Newfies? I know Cavaliers have knee/joint problems and we had a friend that had the surgery done on their Cav and she's good as new now. Cooper said to tell Bella he hopes she's better real soon and he thinks Gabe is lucky to have a sister. He wants one but, Mommy says NO!

Cathi

toao
09-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Awww. It's good that you found out early. I'm sure once she heals she'll have a long and healthy life. What sweet doggies you have.

Mary

cindi
09-21-2007, 08:40 PM
We all hate for our beloved furbabies to feel bad.
I totally agree about doing one leg at a time. When we had to have Lucky's teeth out we did it 1/2 at a time and it really was better that way, it gave him time to gain back his strength for round 2..I'm sure it will be the same way for Bella.
poor babe, give her an ear scratch for me
:(