PDA

View Full Version : has anyone gone for help

threefriends91
09-25-2007, 10:10 AM
has anyone gone to a bereavement or support group? l have been thinking of going but l'm afraid that they will want to go over everything that happened and that would be to painful at this time. what do you think?:huh:

tesschap
09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I say go and check it out. I'm sure most members were new and in pain in the beginning. Most groups are 'support' groups and the veterans are there to get the newbies through the most difficult of times. My cousin lost her husband two years ago - very unexpectedly. She couldn't function - wouldn't get out of bed - etc. Her daughter dragged her (literly kicking and screaming) to a bereavement group and it was the best thing for her. It took a few meetings for her to realize it but it has really helped her. After two years she still attends their meetings and functions.

Hugs to you,

iloveflipflops
09-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I know my friend in FL went to one when her husband committed suicide and it really helped her during the first few months. I say do it. It can't hurt.

teabear
09-25-2007, 10:58 AM
I went for one to one counseling when my fiancee died all those long years ago. It makes all the difference to get support in whatever form. Honestly I don't think I'd be here today if I hadn't gone to counseling. Go, and if it's not what you need, then go to private counseling. Either way it's helpful.

GrammaStamper
09-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm sure bereavement support groups would be sensitive to the issues of re-living such a traumatic time and would not ask you to do anything with which you are uncomfortable. Give it a try, it can only help, I'm sure.

patg
09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I'd say go for it. If you are not happy then you can always stop going. Any support is better than no support. If you feel uncomfortable, why not see you family doctor and discuss it with him/her. They are usually a great source.

Hugs to you and good luck.

Pat

shuggy
09-25-2007, 12:44 PM
i don't think it can hurt.

jazzypurple853
09-25-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree with everyone else. Check it out, and see if its for you. Any support is very helpful

Caboverde1
09-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Group therapy is beneficial because it allows you to meet others that are going through the same thing as you. I run mental health groups daily (at least 2 or more)...I dont have anyone "participate" if they dont want to...Some come and the first couple times they just listen. Sometimes when something tragic happens to us we have a tendency to feel so alone...like no one could possibly know what "this" feels like...im by myself. Group therapy helps to extinguish those thoughts...you dont have to talk about anything you dont want to talk about...Go, try it!

Tonii

IMBlessed5
09-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I agree with the others - everyone in that support group has been where you're at! Go do it!

>>HUGS<<

Nancy
09-25-2007, 10:49 PM
You may feel uncomfortable the first time, but do go back and just listen- you dont have to give a life story unless you want too. - Nancy