PDA

View Full Version : Question about Alcohol Ink

toao
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Every time I use AI it seems like it NEVER dries. I mean never. I end up throwing projects out because it won't dry. Is there a trick to it? This is what I'm trying to do at the moment:

I used dye ink on glossy card stock to create a background. I used a technique that Ethel posted called Rosarch blot background. I took 2 colors of dye ink, dropped them all over one piece of the glossy c/s then smushed the other one on top and pulled from the corner. It was beautiful. I decided to add a bit of alcohol blending solution and Metallic gold pigment ink to the top of it. (Maybe that was my problem?) I have it in the oven on low right now to see if this will dry it.

HELP!

Mary

toao
09-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Nope. Still wet. The gold does not want to dry. It's staying "sticky". Even the dye ink is still wet. *sigh*

Mary

hutchink
09-29-2007, 09:00 PM
hmmm I have no idea I use the blending solution and the gold and it always dries for me! I use glossy card stock! I do usually not do anything with it until the next day know that I think of it???? It dries on metal very quick! Ok I'm just going on and on and not helping you know...sorry!

loobylou
09-29-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm not experienced with AI at all, but would you consider adding gold embossing powder to the pigment ink? Might be a nice effect

toao
09-30-2007, 08:03 AM
I may try that next time Sarah. I ended up taking a paper towel and wiping the gold off of the top. The colors under it had dried. It still turned out pretty and you can still see a touch of gold, but it's not entirely what I was hoping for. I was doing green and turquoise for frogs for Christie's ATC swap. I'll post the paper later.

Mary

mydogstinks2
09-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm trying to remember but 1 time I had trouble getting it to dry. The next time I did the exact same thing but on another brand of glossy paper and it dried. I think it has something to do with how the glossy paper is made. Soem times it just "sits" on the paper instead of soaking in. I hope this helps some.

teabear
09-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Are you actually using alcohol inks or are you using reinkers? If you are using Alcohol inks they should all dry quickly.

Far North
09-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Mary-are you using the dye ink and rubbing alcohol instead of purchased alcohol inks? When I did this I put on the dots of ink then I used a high content alcohol in rubbing alcohol and misted it on. I also used very small drops from the Krylon gold pens. Some inks react with the alcohol and so if stamping on such a background you want to use a achival ink. The I truly like the purchased products better.

I had some trouble with above gold drying slowly...but in did after several minutes...be careful with drying in oven--alcohol is flamable!

Perhaps you just want to PM Ethel to learn how your process is different....hope you can get it to work!

TiikkiStars
09-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Metallic pigment inks never dry without at least heat setting. Some will dry with just heat setting and others always seem to need to be embossed. At least I haven't found one that dries with no smearing without heat setting. And I really would love to know if there is a brand that will dry on its own. What brand are you using? I wonder if a sealant would take care of it for the ones you've already done so that you don't have to throw them out all together??
:> Karen

toao
09-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I think I have discovered the problem. The ink I was using was NOT AI, but instead the metallic pigment ink (like Karen said above) along with alcohol blending solution. Evidentally I was thinking that these 2 would work together. I'll back up and regroup and try again later. Thank you all for your help!

Mary

directmailscrapper
10-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I haven't tried this with the metallic, but I thought I'd bump your post so you could see that I read it and replied! :-)