PDA

View Full Version : help the environment....

hutchink
10-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I have a question for you all....I have been thinking of getting reusable shopping bags to help out with the environment. Does any one else have any? Where did you get them? I have been thinking about getting the BAGGU (http://www.baggubag.com/SHOP.html) ones?

limeyscrapper
10-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I use re-useable shopping bags, but I didn't have to buy them.
My DH goes to quite a lot of conferences, and most of them give out a screen printed cotton bag of info and goodies at the registration. They are usually very sturdy - I've never had one wear out or break, and some of them are more than 15 years old!
Some of them look quite interesting and people often notice them when I'm bagging my groceries.

Christie
10-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I use re-useable shopping bags, but I didn't have to buy them.
My DH goes to quite a lot of conferences, and most of them give out a screen printed cotton bag of info and goodies at the registration. They are usually very sturdy - I've never had one wear out or break, and some of them are more than 15 years old!
Some of them look quite interesting and people often notice them when I'm bagging my groceries.

That's a good idea. I have a few of these too that I should start using for that!!

cindi
10-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I have used regular totes too. I always bring plastic bags for my meat though..I got really grossed out when my chicken leaked in a reuasable bag..I threw the bag away. just something to consider.
:)

Christie
10-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I always bring plastic bags for my meat though..I got really grossed out when my chicken leaked in a reuasable bag:)

Another great tip!

logcabincreations
10-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Aren't we all supposed to be "going green"? I too have a lot of totes that I've gotten over the years from PTA conferences and wondered what in the world I was going to do with them. Thanks for posting this thread Kim. I think I'll get out those totes but also have a few of the plastic bags for meat. Great ideas ladies!

loobylou
10-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I use re-useable shopping bags.
In Australia all supermarkets have signed a govt. contract to reduce the number of plastic bags they give out, and so they have started to sell the reuseable bags. They cost a dollar. I have lots of them. The trick though is remembering to take them. I try to put them back in my car everyweek after I shop, so they will be there next time I stop by for groceries.
to quote Kermit "it's not easy being green".
Kim those bags look very expensive compared to my dollar bags

IMBlessed5
10-18-2007, 07:54 PM
In my little small town I've never seen anyone doing this. This sounds REALLY bad but I'd feel kinda weird doing it until I saw someone else doing it. Pathetic huh! LOL! I have heard of it, just never seen it.

hutchink
10-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Ok as I'm feeling all green today...other thing I just started to thing about was water bottle.....I'm always buying them plus I get the 5 gallon water thingies for my water cooler...I do not like our city water.... so in my quest to help out the environment so my boys can alway enjoy the nature that we have around us! I will not buy anymore individual water bottles....I went an ordered us each a nalgene water bottle! They have FREE shipping!!!!

Vicki- no one in this small town of mine does the reusable shopping bags either but I'm not afraid to start a wonderful new tend!

GO GREEN!

lakeslady
10-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Like lobbylou, here in the UK,we recycle alot of things and do what we can to impove the enviroment.
It is amazing how quickly you get into the habit of taking bags with you to the grocery store. Good heavy duty plastic bags "for life" are sold for about 20pence to encourage you to use them. Many bags for life are sponsored by charities, so do double duty of raising funds for good causes too.
We also recycle all paper, tins, plastic and garden waste.
In fact our grandchildren were awarded gold stars at school, because they had already learnt at a young age of to make compost with vegetable scrappings, used teabags etc.
Amazing how whatever their "Pops" my DH says to them is undisputable LOL

Kreative Dryve
10-18-2007, 09:20 PM
I have recycled for years, glass, plastic bottles, and cans. But I never have given a thought about the bags. I do take the bags back to Wal-Mart, they have a re-cycle box up front. Also I recycle cardboard. We have a re-cycle center here in out small town in Montana. We live on a big beautiful lake, and I think our town is seeing the need for being more green. When we build our home, I have even discussed a spot in the garage for all the bins to have a recycle center.
I love this idea. Thanks for reminding me to go more green, even if it is a small step.
You might even find these types of bags at a thrift shop.

GSMom385
10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Kim, we have them in our stores and they cost about $2. I have them and use them most of the time. We give our customers .05 for each one they use off their order as a coupon if it is a big bag and .03 for the small bags, to try and encourage customers to use them. It works pretty well. I firgured it took me about 2 months of groceries to pay for them with the money off my orders and the good deal is it is a win for the store too because they don't have to restock bags and spend money on them, because those plastic bags are expensive. They also have plastic bag recycling bins in the lobby of every store to encourage people to recycle the disposable bags. They always seem to be overflowing so I think a lot of people do it too.

teabear
10-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Check out this link (http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=37b1b744dd165110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCR D&autonomy_kw=Tshirt%20bags&rsc=ns2006_m1) on how to recycle an old tshirt into a grocery sack. I saw it on Martha Stewart when I was on vacation. I'm not a Martha fan, but it is a good thing.

hutchink
10-19-2007, 01:48 AM
WOW Tami....I think I can do that! Thanks for the link!

Firecracker
10-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Wow! There are quite a few great ideas! I need to become more green. We have changed all the lights in our house to the ones good for the environment but I can't remember what they are called. I think I need to start doing more. Hugs, Heather

threefriends91
10-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Hi Kim, here in Canada we buy our tote bags most any were and they only cost dollar, l also have to keep them in the car. if you know anyone who sew's they could sure make lot's of money with it being the new green thing.

Christie
10-19-2007, 08:05 AM
I know Wal-mart has a recycle bin now for the plastic bags. I think that is a great idea. I really hate seeing those plastic bags floating around the streets and getting stuck in trees. It's harmful to wildlife. Another tip is, when you buy your soda and it comes in those plastic rings, be sure to cut those up. Animals can get their heads, body, etc... stuck in them and cause problems. I saw a turtle on tv who had one around his neck and it had grown into his skin. Poor little turtle. Please remember to cut them up even if you don't recycle!

loobylou
10-19-2007, 09:07 AM
We banned those plastic rings many many years ago in Australia. They do too much harm to wildlife.

Kim I am so happy to hear some stories from Americans and Canadians about their stores having green shopping bags. After our chat this morning, I have honestly been depressed all day thinking that there was a whole continent still using billions of plastic bags, and not having a GOVT. policy to reduce them. I think you should maybe grab some from GsMom. it would be cheaper than me sending them all the way from Oz.

Canadian, eh
10-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Hmmm, maybe I should consider doing the same Kim. Through a blogger, I got back into recycling this week. Your link shows wonderful bags with nice big handles. TFS.