PDA

View Full Version : I think I am going to do it - no, not emboss but try sewing on paper

iloveflipflops
11-24-2006, 04:00 PM
this is another big fear I have - to sew on paper with my regular sewing machine... But I think i want to try it. I am not the best at sewing on fabric so I am sure I can just imagine what it will be like on paper but I think I am ready to drag my machine out (its still put away from when we moved a year ago).

Anyone have any advice for me before I get started and make a mess of things? :wacko: :mask: :chatterbox:

lost luggage
11-24-2006, 04:03 PM
It's SO much easier than sewing on fabric!! Here are my tips:

Ornate stitches that go back and forth a lot tear the paper...stick with the simple stitches (for example, the really tight, close together like embroidery stitches tear sometimes).

Go slow...turn the speed on the machine down.

That's all! Let 'er rip!!

inkinupstamps
11-24-2006, 04:25 PM
You are going to have a ball with it! It is one of my favourite things to do on cards!:nod:

Just give a shout if you need any help. I think you'll be fine, though.:cute:

Now...do it, so I can see your cards! :nod:

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I heard that regular needles will dull quickly. Do you use another type of needle like the ones for sewing on jeans? Or do you just use what needle you normally have on the sewing machine?

Jane

inkinupstamps
11-24-2006, 06:41 PM
And yes, paper dulls your needles just as paper dulls the blades of scissors too. As a rule of thumb, do not use the same scissors to cut paper as you do to cut fabric. Likewise, don't assume you can use your needle that you've been sewing on paper and have it nice and sharp to cut through your fabric.

Since I change my needles with every sewing project on my sewing machine, I use my "used" needles for sewing on paper.

iloveflipflops
11-24-2006, 07:13 PM
so I will have to search around more before doing any sewing ... I wonder where all that stuff is ....

GrammaStamper
11-24-2006, 07:55 PM
I really like the look of sewing on cards and don't do it often enough! But I now have a needle that I use just for paper. It is the one that is recommended for heavy fabrics like denim. Since I don't sew on fabric (not very good at it) I don't have to change the needle very often. I'm gonna do one too, soon.

hutchink
11-24-2006, 08:33 PM
too! I see that alot of Rubber stamping magazines are talking about a Janome sewing machine that is small and light. I think that it cost around $60.

~K