PDA

View Full Version : Gallery Changes

Sherry
10-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,

I've been working in the gallery today cleaning things up and TRYING to make things easier to navigate for you. I am listening to your complaints and trying to make the website as accomodating as possible. Some users are suggesting that there is too much information on the main gallery page and, after reading the posts in another thread, I gather that some users are put out by the amount of mouse clicks needed in order to navigate their way through the gallery and/or other parts of the website. Please understand that in order to have things presented to you in an organized fashion, there will be some clicking involved! The website would be complete chaos if everything was in one huge, long list and, to be honest, I don't think the website would be very appealing.

CCStampin12 - I did not ignore you post about adding a 'back' button in the gallery. I have been researching ways in which I might be able to do this. Unfortunately, I have ZERO php coding experience so a back button isn't something I can just magically make appear (my magical wand just doesn't seem to want to work on this one!) :) I will keep looking to see if someone has a hack that we can add to make navigation a little bit easier for you all.

The website in terms of content is growing each and every day and perhaps our navigation clutter (as I like to call it) is the result of the 'too many cooks in the kitchen'. Users request a feature or a link and I make it happen. But, as time goes on and with each new link request, our navigation clutter grows even more and it gets harder and harder for me to add the new links to the navigation menu in a non-cluttered and appealing way. As a result, you have some clicking to do in order to get there.

So, I guess what we need to do is reorganize the navigation menu once again.
For instance:

Is anyone still using the arcade? Is this something we can get rid of?
Are there other redundant/outdated links up there that we can scrap?
Can we add another pull down menu?
Are we going to expand the video tutorial library? This seems to have fallen to the wayside with everyone posting tutorials on their blogs. If not, lets remove it.
Can we reorganize the forum lists to make things easier for you to navigate and find?I am absolutely open for suggestions so if you have any, please place them in this thread. I really do want everyone to enjoy their experience here at The Stamp Shack and if that means reorganizing everything again then so be it.

-Sherry

UPDATE: A few of you may receive email messages stating that your photos have been moved. Please be assured that there are no problems with your photos nor are they in an inappropriate category. I have chosen to deleted some categories that were no longer being used (ie. Shack The Halls Contest Photos) and rather than deleting all of the photos within those categories, I moved them back to your personal member gallery so that you would have copies of them.

cindi
10-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Please don't scrap that.. and I don't care how clicking I have to do to find it!
I hope we don't stress you out with all our ideas and suggestions,,and they are suggestions, so I think we all can understand that not every one of them is possible.
I like the tutirials on the blogs, maybe that is something we can take off the tool bar.
I LOVE LOVE that chat room & the Arcade, so I would cry without them!
also love our awesome gallery.
ok. I'm no help.
:)

Caboverde1
10-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Love the arcade....

Thats all I got! Whatever way the site is I navigate it...no complaints or suggestions...

TOnii

kerry
10-28-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't use the arcade. I would love to see the tutorial section, but I don't know if there are people who are able to post to it. Blogs do tend to have tutorial info. Maybe just a list with places to go for the tutorial would be easier.

In the gallery, I would love to continue to click on the gallery and see the most recent uploads at the top. I think it was just changed and now there is a list at the top and the newest uploads are at the bottom (can we flip this). I really love going to the gallery and find myself clicking on all so I can see the info under each card.

If there are too many categories, possibly one solution is to make like categories into one folder. For instance: Fall/Winter would include: Autumn, Winter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and other holidays...Just a thought.

I can say that it has been difficult to navigate to find the new challenges. I seem to always get to the chatter (I posted mine, you have a week left...etc) section instead of the actual directions or challenges. I do eventually find them after searching quite a few places.

PS...I don't mind clicking and such, I guess that just goes with the territory of a well loved site!

Christie
10-28-2007, 05:53 PM
I like the arcade too. I don't mind clicking around to find stuff!!

My3Ds
10-28-2007, 06:26 PM
I personally don't use the arcade. I'm fine with or without it. I do however find it a bit of a pain to find the right forum to post a thread. And sometimes I'm not sure if I've picked the right area. Does there need to be so many choices to pick from when starting a new thread. Just asking. Oh yeah, just wondering if the swap button could be shown at the top with the other areas? Meaning that I don't have to go to a main tab to find it. It seems that there are very few swaps going on and they don't seem to fill. Just wondering if some members don't realize that we have a swap section here since the swap button isn't "out front". Does that make sense?

ccstampin12
10-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Ooooh, Sherry,
Please don't consider my suggestion a complaint...AU CONTRAIRE~~~ LOL
(might not have spelled that right!)
I was just upset with myself that I kept posting comments and then had lost my "place" in the Gallery. I now know what I have to do to avoid that, thanks to Mary/mahodgeman. Stacy gave a solution, too, but I haven't been able to figure out just how to do this her way.
Maybe if you post directions for "not losing our place" we all can do it the right way!
I'm more than satisfied with all the aspects, features, perks, and fun that I find several times each day when I visit the Shack.
I don't often visit the Arcade....everyone else is so much better than I, but I know many do.
I do not want you stressing over a "back" button." THAT problem is solved for me, and it only took a couple of posts on the message board.
Thanks for all you do for us, and please don't stress about things too much!
HUGS
Joanie

ccstampin12
10-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Wow...that was long....Sorry!
Joanie

Paula Carden
10-28-2007, 06:59 PM
I use the arcade but would probably get more stamping done without it. It is very relaxing after a stressful day at the office.
I personally like the website as is, but I can click more if need be. I think you have done a great job getting it up and going in such an organized fashion.
Thanks for a place to come to!
Paula

iloveflipflops
10-28-2007, 07:27 PM
I don't have time for the arcade. I am to busy chatting in the chat room or posting messages :). I don't mind clicking at all! I love to click my mouse. lol

I have no complaints. LOVE THIS SITE!

Spartymom
10-28-2007, 08:02 PM
I do enjoy the arcade by have not played in a long time. I enjoy the chat room. There aren't enough tutorials, b/c shackies are putting them in their blogs. That is fine with me! I liked looking at the recent additions in the gallery first thing in the morning. After that they should belong in the categories that you set up. You should scrap the outdated posts, but define 'how long is outdated, etc'...I love the shack and the friends I"ve made here. YOu're doing an excellent job.

shuggy
10-28-2007, 08:51 PM
no complaints here. well, that i don't have enough time to be here more, but that's my fault and not yours!!

Canadian, eh
10-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for your hard work, Sherry. What a way to spend your free time, eh? Have a great weekend--what's left of it.

hbpuppy
10-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi Sherry, thanks for all your hard work. I'll address each of your concerns:
1. Arcade: I guess I have forgetten it's there. I go through arcade phases. I think it should stay because it seems to be an attraction to new/potential Shack members and I think mom's like having a place for their kids to play online that is safe.
2. Links: I've never used quick links. The "new posts" works for me instead of today's posts in the quick link. But, maybe that's just because I'm on here pretty much every day. :) Also, the Shack Plus tab is pretty unused once someone joins. I think it would be better to just stick to that kind of link on the home page.
3. Another link: for what?
4. Tutorials: I like Kerry's idea of a tutorial list. I think we want to see video tutorials but don't really want to make video tutorials. I've done tutorials on my blog but I do a bunch of pictures with instructions. Maybe we could have a place for that kind of tutorial posting here. Lots of ladies here like to share new techniques but they get losts in the posts after a while.
5.Forums: I love the subcategories. Also,I like the narrow categories of the gallery. If I want to look at a Christmas card, I don't want to sift through Thanksgiving cards. I like the new way that you have pictures next to the gallery categories.

Keep up the great work Sherry. Love the Shack!

teabear
10-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Places I visit at the shack....new posts, chatroom, gallery, private messages, and the new CT corner area. That's it for me. Most other things are occasional use. I don't know if that helps, but there you go.

spredbirds
10-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Sherry thanks for all that you do to keep improving the site!
I don't really care one way or another about the arcade .. I thought it was fun though!

-Chelsea

threefriends91
10-29-2007, 03:10 AM
Sherry, l love the way you have the site set up l have no problems with it. if l don't understand or know about any areas the gals here are great at helping. thanks for this special site l don't mind clicking

loobylou
10-29-2007, 04:00 AM
I like things the way they are.
If you are looking to tidy up... If anything, you could probably move the calendar to the "Quick links" menu. User CP is already on the quick links menu so you could probably get rid of the User CP tab too.
I don't use the arcade much, but my ds uses it occasionally (he can live without it!).

Thanks for all the hard work you do to keep this site running so well

tesschap
10-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all that you do Sherry to keep this awesome website going. I've visited the arcade a few times but I really don't have much time to spend there so I'm not a good one to comment on it staying or going. My wish list would include more PM space. I'm not sure if this can be done as I'm sure it takes up a lot of memory but as I seem to always be near my quota I thought I'd ask :) Thanks.

Sherry
10-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys...I'll address some of the things mentioned thus far:

1. We need to keep the 'Shack Plus' link in the navigation bar. I know Shack Members have no need for it but, without the link, I receive too many emails asking about membership and how to sign up. I also have the membership information already posted on the main page but, for some reason, not too many individuals make use out of the home page and choose to sign in on the forum page instead. A lot of information gets missed!

2. I really would like to see a tutorial section in place. If I were to install a program that would allow you to upload your own photo tutorials to the Stamp Shack website would you all make use of it? Would you be willing to post your tutorials on your blog AND on this website or would I just be wasting money by purchasing the software?

3. In regards to PM space, I have increased it to 200 messages for Shack members. I cannot go any higher than that because it does take up a large amount of server space. Please do make every effort to weed through and delete any messages that are not needed on a regular basis.

Christie
10-29-2007, 08:19 AM
2. I really would like to see a tutorial section in place. If I were to install a program that would allow you to upload your own photo tutorials to the Stamp Shack website would you all make use of it? Would you be willing to post your tutorials on your blog AND on this website or would I just be wasting money by purchasing the software?

I would like to post tutorials here. I have one on my blog but I can't post it here because my server says it's to big to send.

tesschap
10-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks for increasing the PM space Sherry. I'll do my best to keep them cleaned up. I haven't done any tutorials yet but yes, I would post them on the Shack as well as my blog.

Thanks so much for being so accomodating to our requests.

TiikkiStars
10-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I wasn't aware that we have a tutorials section, but I will definitely check it out.

I personally love the arcade. I posted on the arcade poll. Its a quick easy destresser and I always visit After I've visited the forums.

I also don't mind clicking! I thought this site is very organized.

:> Karen

ccstampin12
10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Sherry,
You are so great!
What you won't do for us...or at least try!
I am pleased with the increased PM mailbox capacity! I tend to hoard (sp) mine as all messages from Shackies are special to me!
LOL
Thank you thank you thank you!
Joanie

IMBlessed5
10-29-2007, 01:14 PM
I've been reading through all the comments and I don't really have anything to add. I think that this site is VERY user friendly! Not too much clicking at all and easy to navigate. I enjoy the arcade. And I would be willing to post the same tutorials here that I put on my blogs.

Kudos to you Sherry for all your hard work! But don't stress over too many things - you can't please everybody! ;)

JBgreendawn
10-29-2007, 05:41 PM
ah lets seem
When i am here i do not look at the arcade ( so i wont miss if if it need sacrificed or hidden among the drop down lists)
I tend to go

Gallery
CT thread

I will hunt for threads that i did reply on that have fallen off the new posts list when i come back but, sometimes I don't always find them.

I should say I am using windows internet explorer for those trying to use there browsers back button the way i do, Mine has a drop down menu to go back to before the first page, so i don't hit back i hit the drop down menu and look for the "all images"

Thanks for your hard work to make the Shack such a super site to play in Sherry.

I have never made a tutorial as of yet so, if i do I do not have a problem with copy and pasting it to the blog and the site, not a problem for me.

Victorianrose
10-29-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't use the arcade, not enough time in a day.
I do find it confusing locating topics, lots of sub categories, but once I got the hang of it (practice) I find what I need.
No complaints.
My favorite is the New Post, tab.