PDA

View Full Version : Copics are making me Crazy!

Jovi
10-31-2007, 03:15 PM
1 Week Ago:

I was on the verge on buying Copic markers until I saw this (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291443) thread over at SCS. I'm so glad I didn't jump on the wagon. Julie was able to achieve the same shading results of Copics using her SU Markers and she saved herself $600!

Here's her blog tutorial:
No Copics?? NO PROBLEM (http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/10/no-copics-no-pr.html)

I'm going to try this with my CTMH markers, since my SU markers are almost dried up.

14 hours ago:

For some strange reason I thought I was going to escape the Copic marker craze... was I wrong! I finally decided to give in after seeing all the wonderful Whipper Snapper cards that Jeanne has been posting on her blog. Ugh she's been coloring them with Copics.
Check them out here: Inky Paws (http://inkypaws.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/)

Now I have to do some searching for great prices!

TODAY:

I changed my mind again... :worried:

This morning I went to our local art supply store to pick up some Copics, I was going to buy them individually like Julie Ebersole suggested on a thread over at SCS.

When I had about 25 pens in my hand I started doing the math in my head and I just could bring myself to buy them! Then I asked myself if I really needed them... my answer was no. So I put them all back and bought Dewrent Watercolor Pencils instead.

I figured I have SU Markers, Tombow Markers and CTMH new Markers... I really don't need more.

patcreates
10-31-2007, 03:31 PM
LOL Jovi! You saved yourself a bunch of money today. :)

This is one bandwagon I just can't afford to jump on. I don't use markers that much and I much prefer watercolor pencils. I prefer them even more since I found the Faber Castell Albrecht Durer WC pencils. I have the set of Prismacolor WC pencils, but I wanted more colors and the FC pencils have some awesome colors!

Firecracker
10-31-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't use my SU, Tombow, CTMH, and Zig markers that much. I do love my SU watercolors. Hugs, Heather

directmailscrapper
10-31-2007, 04:41 PM
If this helps anyone thinking about buying the $$$$ markers -- start with a couple of them. I suggest the flesh tone (Copic has the BEST flesh tone) and a couple of the very lightest colors. You can then use your pencils to add shading, but your lightest areas will be very saturated with the light color. I haven't figured out how to do all of the shading with just the markers yet!

IMBlessed5
10-31-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm with Patti - that's a bandwagon I don't care to get on. I'm happy with my Tombows but WOULD like some more colors. I can definitely see getting the flesh tone one though. That makes sense. But OMG, there are sooooo many other things I could do with all that money!!!! Let alone the fact that my husband would shoot me if he knew how much I spent on markers!! YIKES!

Erin K
10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
I love them, I bought 6 more today at my LSS they are 3.99 at my LSS then today if you brought your kid in a Halloween costume (or wore one yourself) you got 30% off. So that's only 2.80 each... Dang! I should have gotten more now that I do that math.

Anyhow I love them, I also love that cool tombow shading.

Oh and I like tombow 850 for a flesh tone. And 800 for pink cheeks.

Canadian, eh
10-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Good for you for coming to a decision you're happy with. Sounds like it was a struggle for you.

Jovi
10-31-2007, 11:39 PM
The funny thing is I rarely use the markers that I have now (gasp).

I mentioned to dh last night in passing that I was thinking about getting Copics and even told him about how much they cost and he was okay with it... (maybe because he's getting him a 08 Harley). I think he was a little surprised when I showed him my watercolor pencils and not markers, maybe a bit pleasantly surprised!

I like the idea of having flesh tones, but if I bought a couple I would want more... kind of like giving a mouse a cookie!

I'm pretty happy with my decision and I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one without Copics. :cute:

aselahop
11-06-2007, 08:18 AM
I haven't jumped on the Copic bandwagon. I just can't justify the cost or promote something that I feel most people will have a difficult time using. Markers, because of their properties, aren't the easy things in the world to work with. It takes a lot of practice and skill to achieve the results that we see from some of the designers we all admirer. I would rather use what I already have instead of running out each time a new product is pushed. Just my opinion. Not knocking Copics. I know there is a huge difference between artist grade materials and student grade. I just don't think they are for everyone.

Jovi
11-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Asela I'm so happy to read that your not using Copics, and I'm also going to use the supplies that I have, which works for me. ;)