PDA

View Full Version : My opinion of Copics and other markers -- if you care

directmailscrapper
11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
I have about a dozen Copic markers -- purchased from an Art Supply store when they were on sale and purchased one by one. I probably paid a bit under $5 each (yikes!) I have about 2 dozen Prismacolor markers that I probably paid about $2.75 each -- purchased singly, not in a set.

BOTH of them have a big, clunky end that I never use. The Prisma markers have a smaller end that is good for coloring -- but not for tiny lines! The Copics other end is a brush style like Tombows.

I also own a coupple of sets of the Marvy Markers and I broke down about a year ago and bought the big box of Zig Markers (100 markers from Joanne's with a coupon). I have purchased a couple of Tombows to see if they are worth it. I have several sets of Brushables -- markers with brush ends and 2 shades of the same color on each end.

First of all -- I HATE the Zig Markers. Not juicy -- some seem dried out -- don't like the tips -- yuk! Waste of $50.

Don't particularly like the Marvy Markers -- they were the ones that I started with when I got into "this business". I find that they tend to tear up the paper when I am coloring.

Love the Tombows! Nice brush end, nice coverage. REALLY love the Brushables -- great coverage and I love the fact that you can get 2 shades of the same color. I bought them online here: http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/brushables.html

Prisma Markers -- great colors, terrific coverage -- wish there were more color choices (sounds weird -- I know they have a zillion colors -- just not the ones I want!) Price is not bad -- and they have them on sale at Michaels and ACM periodically.

Copics -- SOOO expensive! Have a few colors that I absolutely adore (flesh tone, and a tan color that I find I use over and over).

For the Prisma Markers and the Copics -- I want intense LIGHT colors so I can use my pencils to add depth and interest. So the really dark, pretty colors aren't what I want! I'd like more shades of really, really LIGHT blue, pink, etc.

For those of you thinking about Copics -- I would not buy a whole set unless you win the lottery and don't know what to do with all of your money. But I do think it makes sense to pick up a couple in colors you use a lot. I understand that they have a "junior" version of the Copics now for a cheaper price, but I haven't seen them or used them.

Hope this helps someone!

threefriends91
11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Oh Thank you so much, l am only starting to buy markers, pens and all that. when l go into the store there are so many and l didn't know which to buy so l waited and l'm glad l did. Thanks for helping me.

patg
11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Wow Nancy! You have a lot of markers! I just purchased some copic markers for apprx $4/pen and am waiting for them to be delivered. Like you, I bought the flesh tone and some other types of flesh tone (ie, yellow flesh tone and pink flesh tone). I am hoping that they come soon and I can play!

Thanks for letting us know you opinion! I don't own and prisma markers but have heard so much about them. I generally use my SU markers and love them.

Pat

teabear
11-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Great review, Nancy. You gave me my first markers. I have quite a few more now :) Love the brushables and the tombows. I was lucky enough to find the tombows on a major clearance at Joannes some months back. Good to know about the flesh tone copics.

tesschap
11-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Great info - thank you. I am in desperate need of some good markers but the prices scare me!

mdcash
11-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Wow, what a great review. I have almost all of the Tombows (some over 10 years old) and love them. I have a few Prisma markers and would like to try some Copics. I haven't heard about the Brushables, but am going to check them out.

Thanks again for all of the info.

Cinnistew
11-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Which Copics would be considered "skin tones"? I have a set of Prismacolor markers that I just got but after looking at them I think it may be a good investment to get a few Copics because I've heard so much about how awesome their skin tones are.

countrycowgirl
11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the review... I have been looking at getting some.. I am a Marvey gal I like that their fine end for edging my cards. ..