PDA

View Full Version : This is so hard!

inkinupstamps
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Paul and I took 'Bella for her knee surgery this morning at 8:30. The doctor said her luxating patella knee surgery would commence around 10 a.m. and would take about 2 hours.

I just got a call from the doctor. He finished studying the xrays prior to surgery. He confirmed Bella's right knee in particular is very, very bad and the surgery will help the luxating patella.

HOWEVER. He called to tell me that she has very serious hip dysplasia. He said it has deteriated far beyond what an initial surgery would "help". He was calling to know whether we should go ahead with her knee surgery or if, because her hips will continue to deteriorate, if we want to skip the surgery today on her knees and put her down.

I'm an emotional wreck. Paul and I have decided to go ahead and fix the knee as this will help her walk better and that we'll pursue the best course of treatment recommended for her life and well being in the future.

I guess the doctor just wanted to prepare us that Bella isn't well and while surgery today will help the knees, she is going to have a short life and if we didn't want to pursue the expense today, knowing what lies ahead he would do what we want.

I've always said I'd never keep a dog alive just because I would miss it, but I can't let Bella go yet. This is so hard for me. Paul is outside building the ramp. She's going to need it for sure now.

I'm going to visit Bella this afternoon if they'll let me, though I know she'll be heavily sedated still. If it is better that she stay there for the night then I'm for that, but I want to bring my big girl home as soon as I can and take care of her.

hutchink
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
ohhh Jennifer my heart aches for you! I had to put my beloved Calvin down for his bad bad bad hips! I wish your sweet Bella a good recovery!

iloveflipflops
11-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh Jennifer. I am so sorry. BIG HUGS!!!

Trapedinga
11-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Jennifer, this is such sad news. We wish the best for Bella and will be thinking of you today and tonight.

donna

Sherry
11-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh Jennifer :(

I am so sorry to hear this. Your heart must be breaking. I know just how much you love big 'Bella. I am wishing your baby a speedy recovery and I'll keep you both in my prayers.

workin4stamps
11-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Oh my gosh Jennifer....that's horrible. I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sending a hug to you as well.

Traci

tojoco
11-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh My, such sad news. I think you took the right course of action. I would not want to see her go yet. My heart aches for her and for you but I know you'll take good care of her. My best to you and Bella; and Reba sends her regards too.

GrammaStamper
11-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Jennifer I wis there were some words I could say to help you and Paul. As there are none, please know that good thoughts, prayers and big hugs are headed your way.

My3Ds
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Jennifer - you guys must be devastated. Fix her knee and bring that girl home. She needs some lovin' from her mommy, daddy, and little bro. Hugs to all of you.

ccstampin12
11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Oh, Jennifer,
I'm so sorry to hear this.
I cannot express how sad I feel for you both.
Pets....such wonderful members of our families, but such sources of worry.
HUGS and hopes for the best!
Joanie

Nancy
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
This is awful. I went through this and made the decision to put him down. I couldnt see him suffer anymore. My heart goes out to you. - Nancy

emmcee
11-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Oh Jennifer, my heart is breaking for you. I know how much you love your Bella. Oh my goodness, I wish I was there to give you a hug. Give your sweet Bella a peck on the head for me when you can and of course a scratch behind the ears.

cecescraps
11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Jennifer, I can't even begin to tell you how truly sorry I am to hear this about your precious Bella. I would have done the same thing you did- no question! I hope you and Bella are able to enjoy many, many days of each other and Cooper send licks and wags to Bella too.

Cathi

cindi
11-20-2007, 03:13 PM
I am crying with heartbreak for you and Paul.
if it were me I'd do the same thing, even for another 6 months to year I would do it. I hope dear sweet BElla will be able to give your family that extra time.
hugs to you
Cindi

1of2shoes
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
OMG I am so saddened to hear this, Jennifer! I'm so sorry you hurt. It's such a hard thing when our fur babies are hurting and sick. I'm here if you want to vent.

JBgreendawn
11-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I am so very sorry Jennifer,
but i totally understand the need to keep her with you as long as you can too.
((((( HUGS )))))

teabear
11-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I am so very sorry, Jennifer. I know you love her and will do everything you can for her. What tragic news for all of you. Sending lots of hugs from me and kisses from Mabel and Shelly.

Robinkay
11-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Oh Jennifer- I can't believe what you are going thru right now. I am So deeply sorry. You,Paul and Esp Bella are in my prayers and thoughts. (((HUGS)))

hbpuppy
11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Awww. Poor Bella. I love big dogs but hip and joint problems come with the territory. I hope her knee surgery goes well and that she heals quickly. Just do what you can to keep her comfortable. Make sure she doesn't carry any extra weight because that is really tough on her knees and hip and keep her warm. You might want to do some research on treatments too. Like, medicines and even doggy chiropractor. We did both for our yellow lab.

dreis1
11-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Jennifer I am sorry to hear this. Big hugs to you dear. Glinda

firefly
11-20-2007, 07:31 PM
So sorry Jennifer to hear the news - give Bella a big hug from all of us!

ellie
11-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Jennifer, I am so very sorry to hear this. It is so amazing that these pets really become like our children. If it were me, I would have done exactly what you did...maybe it won't be as bad as the vet thinks. Zoe is getting spayed on 12/2 because she has dysplasia also and I don't want to take a chance on passing it along. I was so looking forward to seeing her have babies...I sure wish they could do something about this problem. Please give Bella a scratch for me.

midnitecreations
11-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Oh Jennifer, I can feel your pain. My heart aches and my eyes fill up just reading it. My prayers and hugs wing their way to you.

loobylou
11-21-2007, 02:04 AM
oh, poor Bella! So sad to hear this setback. I hope Bella makes a speedy recovery from her knee operation.
My dog takes "arthrocart" which is a doggy arthritis drug to help with her hips, and the vet suggested we take her swimming too- but this causes too much pain.We can't stand to see her go thru it.
You have made the choice that is right for your family. I will say a prayer for you all.