PDA

View Full Version : Tales from Stormy my dog (long story)

logcabincreations
11-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Those of you who chat with me frequently in the chat room know a lot about my little mixed Terrier, Stormy, who came to our home as a stray about 8 years ago (she is afraid of thunder and lightning.) I had been praying for a solution to the moles digging tunnels through our yard, and God sent her. She is definitely a huntress, and a very sweet and protective dog.

We live in a log cabin in the woods adjacent to dh's dad's farm. We have a nice sized front yard surrounded by a wooden split rail fence, small back yard with a layer of trees, a fence and a large pasture behind that. We are pretty much surrounded by wooded area. So any kind of creature will venture into our yard at any time.

During the past four months Stormy has fought with a raccoon, which dh had to shoot, she has alerted me to a very large black snake that was lying sprawled out on my porch railing; two weeks ago a goose flew and smacked into the dining room window at the back of our house--causing Stormy to go into a wild fit of barking--and my sons all went out with brooms in hand to "shoo" it away--causing the goose to fly and again "smack" into the side of our house again (I think it was drunk...lol); finally they chased it into the back pasture and I guess it found its way back home.

Well, at 3:30 a.m. this morning I heard Stormy barking and growling. Her doghouse is out back--under the shed roof that extends the whole length of our house. She is at ground level. I cut on the light and she is lying on her cushions growling. I don't see any critters, but I hear something moving around. (Note, there are bicycles, a lawnmower, a weed-eater, and other miscellaneous items under this shed roof.)

I also smell a skunk. I have Stormy come inside for a few minutes. She wasn't sprayed by the skunk--yet. I continue to look out the door and I don't see anything. So I let Stormy back out the door. MISTAKE!!!

The skunk comes near the steps and Stormy grabs it and shakes it. I guess it sprayed her because she let go of it, then went running into the yard. The skunk went stumbling around the back steps--still alive--but I'm not sure where my dog went. I went back to bed at this point.

I called her and called her when I got up this morning, but I'm not really sure if I want her to come around the house because I know she will stink something awful.

My whole house smells like skunk this morning---phew!!!!

loobylou
11-26-2007, 09:14 AM
what an adventurous dog you have, Jan. I remember the goose story. I hope your dog comes back eventually. What is the cure for skunk stink anyway???

logcabincreations
11-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't know -- but I'm sure there's not much I can do with the smell being near my back steps...lol My middle son said this morning "I hope my clothes don't smell like skunk or I'm not going to school." Of course, he's my child who will use ANY excuse to stay home. He went though. I couldn't even smell the skunk when I went out on my front porch this morning...it's all around the back of the house. I guess the smell will just go away with time.

Christie
11-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Well I'll say your dog has a very adventourous life!!! Thank goodness the shunk hadn't sprayed her when you let her in house.

inkinupstamps
11-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Jan, one of my cats got sprayed by a skunk a year or two ago. There ARE ways to help eliminate the odor.

For a home remedy that works and is safe for pets that have been sprayed, bathe the animal in a mixture of 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from drug store), 1/4 cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and a teaspoon of liquid detergent. After 5 minutes rinse the animal with water. Repeat if necessary. The mixture must be used after mixing and will not work if it is stored for any length of time. DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER - it releases oxygen gas so it could break the container. This mixture may bleach the pet's hair.

Also, your vet office most likely has a shampoo called "Skunk-off" or something similar. I keep it on hand just in case!

A lot of people will tell you to try tomato juice. It really doesn't work and is a mess.

I strongly suggest you bathe your dog. Your pup can't be comfortable with the smell and it will cling to your clothes and furnature too if not eliminated.

logcabincreations
11-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks Jennifer. So far she hasn't returned home. I'll check with the vet about the shampoo.

Christie
11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Oh Jan, is it normal for her to run off like that and stay gone for so long?

hbpuppy
11-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh no. Poor Stormy. I wonder if she is embarrased because she stinks so bad. My dog Moses would probably freak out. She likes to rub his body against dryer sheets so he smells good.

toao
11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Oh my. You should write a book about all of her little adventures. Please keep us updated and let us know when she returns!

Mary

logcabincreations
11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, she is back, and she does smell. Thank goodness it has been raining and she has been rolling around in the yard. I am checking on that shampoo!