PDA

View Full Version : A card making survey

inkinupstamps
11-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Just a little survey for my card making/stamping friends...

When you make a card, do you:
1.) just start stamping and see what you come up with?
2.) make a scrap paper prototype first then create the actual?
3.) pick a stamp and work from there?
4.) pick a background paper and work from there?
6.) pick a colour (for ink, colouring, patterned paper) and work from there?
5.) use a sketchbook and draw layouts until you know exactly what it will look like?

How do you work?:cool:

directmailscrapper
11-28-2006, 01:25 PM
First I pick which stamp I want to use.

Then I might play with coloring the stamp to see what other papers I'd like to use with it.

I'll pick out patterned papers and card stock, ribbon, embellies,etc.

But here's MY thing -- once I get a card the way I like it -- I make a bunch of them! It takes me so long to figure out one -- once I figure it out I make 6-12 of them!

Nancy

midnitecreations
11-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Then spend some time figuring out whether to just color it or to use some special tech. on the image. I must admit, I usually do the image in 2-3 diff. ways. Then I try to match it up best as I can with the pp I've got. I haven't done that many cards, but I love doing ATCs and to me I approach them like mini cards. The end product rarely comes out the way I thought it would. Seems like once I get started, the project takes on a mind of its own, but I've always loved the results.
renu

tojoco
11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
When I want to make a card, I usually go through all my stamp drawers and pick out a stamp because I can't remember all the ones I have (but I'm working on that problem). Then I'll try different ideas on scrap paper. When I work out an idea and sort of like it with coloring and choosing paper, I'll make a prototype (always a prototype) before I present the finished product. I always keep a spiral pad in my handbag should I have an idea and want to play around with it on paper.:grin:

Good survey. I'm curious to see what others do.

Sherry
11-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Being an AutoCAD Technician, I will sketch everything out on paper first. Once I have the concept, I then choose the colors that I am going to use.

Christie
11-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Usually I start by picking a color of either pattern paper or cardstock. I then move on the see what kind of card I want to make, (birthday, christmas, etc.). Then I decide if I want to stamp, or use emblishments or both. I just kinda work from that point on until I'm ready to glue everything down. That is my last step. I kinda lay it out o the paper and see if I like it before I glue. :cute:

GrammaStamper
11-28-2006, 02:09 PM
1.) just start stamping and see what you come up with? that's what I did when I first started stamping.
2.) make a scrap paper prototype first then create the actual?Actually did this for the first time today. I will post it later.
3.) pick a stamp and work from there? most of the time, yes, I pick the stamp first.
4.) pick a background paper and work from there? for some reason, I'm always looking for b/g paper to go with what I have stamped.
6.) pick a colour (for ink, colouring, patterned paper) and work from there? most of the time I stamp in black, then remember I have dozens of other colours of ink and do it again.
5.) use a sketchbook and draw layouts until you know exactly what it will look like? NEVER -- I can't draw a stick man, that's why I like stamping -- then I get to colour it in!

lost luggage
11-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I start with the recipient in mind. I try to think of something that will suit their tastes and then go from there. I fly by the seat of my pants...no sketches, prototype.

When I use my AI I will stamp on a scrap piece of glossy since they are a little unpredictable. Just to make sure I like the ink placement.

Kreative Dryve
11-28-2006, 02:48 PM
usually comes to me when I get a new set or some great new pp.
My ideas usually come to me at night, and then when I start to create, I always have to change a few items, just to make it seem right. I have never sketched, and I seldom case, but if I really enjoy a card I will case it.

Nice Survey! MJ

inkinupstamps
11-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I keep a journal that I sketch layouts and designs in. Some I use immediately and some I just think would make fun ideas to work on and tweek at some later date.

Usually what prompts the sketch though is a particular stamp or set of stamps.

Whenever I purchase a new stamp I usually have a variety of ideas for its use before I even ink it up.

I never just stamp a card out. I just can't do it. I have to lay it out on paper and pencil first and then make a prototype because usually the card is an evolution from a simple stamp to the entire layout, design and colour.

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I usually start with a theme or event in mind. Stamp set comes next. Then the colors. The actual design of the card stays in my head until I am ready to get it out onto the craft table.

Jane

emmcee
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
1.) just start stamping and see what you come up with? I usually have some kind of an idea brewing.
2.) make a scrap paper prototype first then create the actual? sometimes
3.) pick a stamp and work from there? most always pick my stamp first and then continue on with inks, background paper, coloring, embellies
4.) pick a background paper and work from there? not the first thing
6.) pick a colour (for ink, colouring, patterned paper) and work from there? after I choose my stamp
5.) use a sketchbook and draw layouts until you know exactly what it will look like? no

:cute:

teabear
11-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I do all of the things you mentioned except the last one. I never sketch out the design, but I do work with other's design sketches or recipes. Sometimes I start with a stamp if I want to use a new stamp, sometimes it's color I'm inspired by, and sometimes I just start to stamping and see what happens. The last card I posted, I started with the AI background, that was an extra piece I made when I had AI out to make an ornament. It stayed on my card table overnight and then I put together the card the next day. Alot of times I start with a challenge for a technique, layout, or color. That really seems to be my best motivator. Good poll.

emmcee
11-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I just read my poll answers and it sounds like I'm being cross-examined, yes, no, yes, no.:biglaugh:

Let me try this thing again... when I buy a new stamp, I usually have an idea for it. I stamp most everything with black, but I do have some other pretty colors and I use the blues, pinks and purples on birthday or get well cards. Usually stick with black for Christmas, why I don't know, the coloring shows up better I guess. I have a ton of pp paper and just bought a ton more this past Saturday but I don't buy it with any idea in mind, just because I like it and I'm a paper junkie. Then I pick out my embellies for my cards, but I have learned to lay it all out on the card before I do any gluing or taping or poking any holes for the brads. Now I've talked too much :cute:

That's me, one extreme to another !

shuggy
11-28-2006, 05:02 PM
i usually have a theme in mind, then pick the colors of paper. then the stamp. if i pick the stamp first, i usually end up making a completely different card than i had in mind and use a different stamp. i almost never make a scrap card first. and i always usually make at least 2 or 3 because it takes me so long to figure out what i want to make!!

Alli
11-28-2006, 05:29 PM
The cards that work best for me are the cards that I can see in my head when I start! I can see the card and I work towards the image, it doesn't always turn out as it was in my head, sometimes I tweak it for different reasons, but they are the ones that turn out the best.
However, I do like doing challenges, sometimes I get overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I have, so challenges are good, like Jane's this week to use alcohol inks, because they either make you step outside of your comfort zone and try something different, or they limit what you can use, which I personally find fires up my imagination.
I don't often start with a color or a design, but rarely I do.
I have never made a prototype, ever. I don't see the point as if it doesn't work, it is just a few bits of card, no biggie, I trash the card! :nod:

1of2shoes
11-28-2006, 06:07 PM
I clean up the mess from the LAST card I made!

I'm so erratic with how I create. Sometimes it's the new stamp, sometimes the new paper, sometimes the occasion. I never ever sketch out my idea. I can't draw to save my soul (and thank goodness I don't have to do that, right?), so I just go for it.

A lot of times, I'll open my latest issue of Cards, Paper Trends, Paper Crafts, etc., and pick a layout I like. Then I'll imagine my newest or favorite stamp on that layout. Then choose the paper. What I imagine in the beginning is hardly ever what I end up with.

I have to say, most of the time it's the stamp that determines the card.

Far North
11-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Especially if I am making cards for a swap I begin by thinking about one specific person I would want to give that card to...and begin all my design with that person in mind. I find colors, image, style all fit together so much easier that way for me.
...Jan
PS...sometimes that person even receives a card!

mahodgman
11-28-2006, 08:11 PM
I do all of those things except for making a scrap proto type. Sometimes I'll start with a stamp that I want to use, sometimes I'll start with an embellishment I want to use or sometimes I'll start with a piece of patterned paper and go from there. I don't always do the same thing. I will lots of times make a proto type, but it is never just out of scraps. The other cards may not end up looking exactly like the proto type, but when I'm done they are all usable cards.

Wanda
11-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm so uncreative that I'll find one I like in some gallery and go from there. It may not be exactly like what I find but it's a jumping off point.

Wanda

Inkyhands
11-30-2006, 04:28 PM
I think a majority of the time I tend to pick a stamp and go from there but I have done all of the above. I have 2 little spiral notebooks with all my own "recipes" that I pull out from time to time.

nickynicole4
12-01-2006, 09:39 PM
If I start out with what is new
if it is the stamp set, then comes color choices and paper. the last is my embellishments.
If I start out with the colors then it changes orders to stamps then last come s embellishment
and if i start with embellishments, which is always hard for me to start with because I know I want to use it but then I have to figure out how and where. I then make about 10-12 of the cards because I like them so much once I figure it all out and come up with the design I love the best.

nickynicole4
12-01-2006, 09:40 PM
If I start out with what is new
if it is the stamp set, then comes color choices and paper. the last is my embellishments.
If I start out with the colors then it changes orders to stamps then last come s embellishment
and if i start with embellishments, which is always hard for me to start with because I know I want to use it but then I have to figure out how and where. I then make about 10-12 of the cards because I like them so much once I figure it all out and come up with the design I love the best.

Darleneh710
12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I think I may do it a little different. I can't draw to save my life...so sketching is out for me. Sometimes I will start with a stamp, but mostly I have a theme in mind whether it be for someone's bday or a Christmas card. From, there I, too, like to use the person's fave colors to make it more personal for them. It changes some times, but I think for the most part I will pick out my colors first (ink and paper) and then find stamps that I want to use and the coordinate with embellishments. Sometimes I will make a card and if it doesn't appeal to me then I will just start over again and try to use different colors or different stamp/embellishments. I try to make a duplicate of it when I do make it so that I will have it on hand for a later date. Mostly, I will just take a pic of it on my dig cam.

fun poll

treeclimber
12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Hmmm, I guess I start with the theme and pick out a stamp. Then I try to get a picture in my head of what I think I want it to look like. Of course, I make edits as I go! When I first started swapping, I would figure out all the technical stuff on the first one...like which layer to put brads through so the ends did not come through on the inside of the card. The first card would be my copy.

Deb :cute: