PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Reading

Vintagegal
12-09-2007, 08:28 AM
We were at Borders last night, and I picked up this book by Gay Hendricks. It's called "Five Wishes. How answering one simple question can make your dreams come true."

http://www.bordersstores.com/search/title_detail.jsp?id=56902043&srchTerms=Five+Wishes&mediaType=1&srchType=Keyword

Have you heard or seen this book? It's not totaly different from some books on 'living an authentic life' but it is so much more simple to read and easy to follow. The basic premise of the book is to pretend that you're on your deathbed. Ask youself the question, "Have I lived the life I'd always wanted to live?" Do you have any regrets? If the answer is 'no' then you can create goal(s) for how to change the path your life is taking while you're still living on this earth.

The author was asked the question at a dinner party by a man who had 'died' and was resuscitated. He asked himself that very question, and since then, had been trying to live the life he'd always wanted. The author thought about the question for a moment, and realized that he wasn't living the life he'd always wanted. One of the things he wished for is to keep a journal of all of the important life lessons he learned on a daily basis. Another thing he wished for was better communication with his loved ones and his friends; and to make sure they knew they were the most important priorities in his life.

When the man who had once died, Ed, first told the author about the 'one simple question', he used J. Paul Getty as an example. J. Paul Getty was once the richest person in America. He said that Getty was asked the question at his deathbed, and he replied that he would've traded all of his millions of dollars if he could have had just one experience of marital happiness during his life. OMG! That really hit it home for me. On the one hand, I could wish to be rich and living in luxury (which would be totally materialistic); and this man (Getty) didn't experience a loving marriage, which is something that sometimes even I take for granted (my loving husband).

The book goes into more detail about the steps to achieve those goals. But, I think it's a great book for just getting started in one's journey towards self-awareness. I'm thinking this book just might make it in several of my family's Christmas stockings this year.

loobylou
12-09-2007, 09:23 AM
I like the sound of this book. I am a fan of "simple abundance" and other books on livng a whole life and being true to yourself.
One of my favourite sayings is "no-one ever wished , on their death bed, that they had worked more hours". It puts into perspective my priorities

iloveflipflops
12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
That does look like a must read Ethel. I don't read much but I think I may look into this the next time I go into a bookstore. Since my friend Robin passed away, I do think I am looking at life differently. It might sound strange but I just keep thinking nothing is guaranteed in life and no one knows when it is "their" time so I try and make the most of each day which I guess is what we all should be doing. TFS

Nancy
12-09-2007, 11:28 AM
That sounds interesting but did you know that Dee Gruening has a Journal book that covers 10 years, you write in it each day. I gave them as Christmas presents a couple of years ago and everyone is finding what they did the previous two years on a certain day. Good or Bad -a real picture of how your life is going. - Nancy

countrycowgirl
12-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I really enjoy Simple Abundance too... this one sounds right up there in that genre I will have to look for it next time I am in the big city! Thanks for suggesting it.

Vintagegal
12-09-2007, 12:03 PM
did you know that Dee Gruening has a Journal book that covers 10 years, you write in it each day. I gave them as Christmas presents a couple of years ago and everyone is finding what they did the previous two years on a certain day. Good or Bad -a real picture of how your life is going.

Oooohhhhh.....Nancy, that sounds like a realy cool idea! Also, what an heirloom. Can you imagine generations from now, your descendants knowing more about their ancestors through their journals?

smileycollector
12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
This sounds like a book that I would really enjoy. Thanks for letting us know about it Ethel. :)