PDA

View Full Version : White Elephant Gift Exchange

mahodgman
12-09-2007, 07:46 PM
My Toastmasters club is doing a white elephant gift exchange this week, and I'm kind of stressing over what to bring. My idea of a white elephant is total junk and something you just find laying around the house, but at last week's meeting some people were saying we shouldn't do junk. So, I picked up a roll of duct tape while I was out shopping today. Do you think that is ok? I'm just not sure. What does white elephant mean to you?

tojoco
12-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Mary, I often wondered the same thing so when you asked, I googled it. Here's what a White Elephant Gift Exchange is . . . and it sounds like fun.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-white-elephant-gift-exchange.htm

iloveflipflops
12-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I have no clue. Never went to anything like this before.

mahodgman
12-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Mary, I often wondered the same thing so when you asked, I googled it. Here's what a White Elephant Gift Exchange is . . . and it sounds like fun.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-white-elephant-gift-exchange.htm

Thanks, Joanne, I never thought to google it. This sounds like the thing we do every year at my office holiday party, and everyone usaully brings nice things. After reading the description, I guess duct tape will work just fine. It is an unusual gift, and we were only supposed to spend a max of $5.

cindi
12-09-2007, 08:12 PM
is what I think of.
the 2 times I did one, some of te items were weird nic nacs like old 70's stuff, kitchen gadgets that are a little odd, and for some reason dish towels..the uglier the better seemed to be very popular! I think if you could come up with a funny saying or poem about the duct tape..it would be perfect! Maybe make a TOP 10 LIST OF REASONS TO USE THE TAPe??
HAVE FUN
:)

directmailscrapper
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I have been to lots and lots of White Elephant exchanges (aka Yankee Gift Exchange). I can tell you that they are the most fun when there are gifts that other people want -- silly or goofy is fine -- then the trading back and forth starts. One of the biggest winners is usually edible. I think one of the most popular gifts I've ever seen at a White Elephant Sale is an M&M dispenser with candy.

prdesigns
12-09-2007, 09:24 PM
I've been to a few as well, ended up getting wall sconces. We were told to bring something odd and different from our house {not to purchase the item} (so like something you have in your take to Goodwill box or re-gifting something you would never use)

We've also done a white elephant ornament exchange with the $10 limit.... that was great fun too! Everyone wanted this really, really cute snowman ornament. I think I had it toward the end.... but it got stolen away!

irishchristine
12-10-2007, 08:39 AM
I went and picked a toilet plunger! Everyone was fighting over it and you always seem to be in the wrong bathroom when you really need it. So now I have three! LOL kids and toilet paper..Ithink they use half the roll!

Christie
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
I've never heard of this before. The only thing I've heard of is the Chinese Christmas but I think that's different. Sorry I'm no help.

Nancy
12-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Chinese Christmas, never heard of that, what is it. I heard of Chinese Auction-that is where our camping group brings stuff-good and junk and absolutely useless. But you group things together, like something good -something useless- something funny., then you have bought tickets and prepare to buy something you want and you have to take everything that comes with it. We use it as a money maker. 10 cents a ticket. Then later we call out the numbers so see who the winner is. Persons must be present. Nothing is wrapped-unless it is a gag gift. Makes for a fun couple of hours. The set up deciding how many tickets an item needs takes more time. -Anyway have fun-Nancy

My3Ds
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
From what I've always heard about WE parties -- I think you're duct tape will be awesome.

GrammaStamper
12-10-2007, 10:09 AM
These games are hilarious, especially when you have a sister with no sense of humour whatsoever. Everybody steals from her because she gest so annoyed and it shows so plainly. I think our family's White Elephant Game should be renamed to "Let's Piss Off Aunt Shirley" as that now seems to be our goal! If only she could laugh at herself, it wouldn't happen so regularly to her. But, man, it's fun to watch.

Christie
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
These games are hilarious, especially when you have a sister with no sense of humour whatsoever. Everybody steals from her because she gest so annoyed and it shows so plainly. I think our family's White Elephant Game should be renamed to "Let's Piss Off Aunt Shirley" as that now seems to be our goal! If only she could laugh at herself, it wouldn't happen so regularly to her. But, man, it's fun to watch.

LOL!! Does she know you all do it to tick her off? THat's way to funny!

threefriends91
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
We used to do the White elephant exchange gifts at work each year. We had to buy something for know more then $5.00 and we loved it. everyone at work just loved playing this.
l started this up with the ladies group in our church and they loved it. Mary, your roll of duck tape would be perfect. Do tell us what you think after you have played? and what you ended up with.

GrammaStamper
12-10-2007, 10:33 AM
LOL!! Does she know you all do it to tick her off? THat's way to funny!

No, she doesn't have a clue, that's what makes it so funny! She thinks we just want the present.