PDA

View Full Version : I have to rant a bit...

Becky P
12-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Re: the Golden Compass movie.

First and foremost...might I say I AM a Christian. I DO believe in Jesus.

I went and saw this movie yesterday with my family and thought it was the most wonderful thing! I looooved it!

Now mind you...I do NOT worship witches, I DONT believe in magic and witchcraft...but I guess that also rates right up there with the fact that I dont believe in talking animals either...and it takes me back to Harry Potter which is another make believe thing.

It really made me mad this morning when I was exclaiming my excitement over this movie with a friend...and she gasped outloud...telling me that it was the work of an athiest and the anti Christ. So then after hanging up the phone I sat there and racked my brain for a good 20 minutes trying to figure out WHICH scenes would offend the Christians...which things I didnt pick up on?

Am I really that blind? Did I miss something? Or was it just a really good movie? And once again people are making a much to do about nothing??

Have you seen it? Were you offended?

ccstampin12
12-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I haven't seen it, but probably would not have picked up on it either.
When I was teaching, we took our whole school to see the first "Harry Potter" movie, but one of my students wasn't allowed to go because of the "dark side" element...(My words...can't remember what the mom actually called it)
I just watch movies for the enjoyment...I'm not one to overly analyze them...
I'm happy you enjoyed your outing to the theater!
Don't worry about it!
Joanie

My3Ds
12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Haven't seen the movie. Does believing in God mean that we also believe everything that is in print and/or in the movies is for "Real". It's make believe people. I believe in God and I do know the difference between fiction and non-fiction. It's suppose to be for entertainment and I by no means allow it to influence how I live and/or what I believe. My children nor I have tried to fly on a broom stick (well maybe once when I saw Samantha Stevens do it. ;) ) summons the anti-Christ or even boil a bewitching potion in an attempt to practice another religion. I say long live Harry Potter, Genie, Samantha Stevens, and even the Golden Compass. Anyone wanna join me for a ride on my broom now? Sometimes people have too much time on their hands, in which case I say try rubber stamping. (Please don't hate me, flame me, or disown me now, because I'm just saying). My soapbox is now put away.

Christie
12-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I;ve never even heard of this movie.

Darleneh710
12-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi Becky, I just wanted to say that I believe it is meant for enjoyment/entertainment. I think your friend is out of line if I might say so. I think a good part of us watch and go to the movies for entertainment to see things that aren't always what we believe or think. Everyone has their own take on everything in this world if you think about it and I think it is a little silly to always be so negative and think that you don't believe in certain things just because you enjoyed a certain movie that portrayed a certain something...Sorry..JMO..hope I didnt offend anyone. But I feel if you enjoyed the movie and it didnt harm anyone..that was is so bad about that?
:)

ps- We went to see Enchanted yesterday and they showed us previews of Golden Compass and DD wants to see it..she is also a HP fan as well..

ccstampin12
12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Here's another thought I had...
If there's something wrong with these "pretend" movies.....what about ALL of the Disney movies???
Good grief!
LOL
Joanie

Becky P
12-10-2007, 02:34 PM
OK...well I have to say I have been heavily educated today on the subject matter.

I think all this fuss is coming from the Author himself. It is "HE" that has stated that these films / books are the anti-God. It is HE that has stated what their intent is. And I gotta say after reading all of the write ups...I am a little bit taken off guard.

HA! No wonder everyone is flippin out!

I still thought it was a fabulous movie! And wouldnt have given it even a half of a second of a second thought....

So here I sit...hmmmm.....

Now mind you...I went through the whole Harry Potter phase and PTL that my dd baled before it got too weird. But she also knows the difference between fiction and nonfiction. My 5 year old dreams of being Cinderella and has imaginary fairies...is this wrong too?

suzi_f
12-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Ok, first off, NO OFFENSE to anyone who has seen it not to anyone who refuses to see it. I haven't seen it, never WANTED to see it in the first place & had never even heard of the books, the author, or any of this before last week.

Sometime last weekend my dd said that "GC" was bad & evil. I figured this was my mother talking thru her. She told her that Narnia was evil too. I ignored her (yes, I ignored my sweet lovable 13yo do. go figure!) Last week, I got an email from a parent at her (christian) school saying that it was not a great movie & she was afraid that parents & kids would be sucked in because it was so subtle. I thought "here we go again". I went to Snopes and found this info (http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp). After reading it, I decided to give the mother the benefit of the doubt. Neither of my children want to see it, not a whole lot of other people saw it based on this week's box office.

I too believe that movies are make-believe and a lot of people go overboard. I believe that if you want, you can find evil (or probably good) in ANYTHING if you look hard enough. I also think there are enough good & non-controversial movies out there. I personally don't really want to support this guy (author) but, who's to say that Harrison Ford doesn't kick kittens when no one is looking & I'll see just about anything he's in.

I'm not sure I had a point in all this. Merry Chirstmas and more Harrison Ford movies!!! (but not the one where is family was held hostage. I had to turn that one off. CREEPED me out big time!!!)

IMBlessed5
12-10-2007, 04:28 PM
From what I heard on our contemporary Christian radio station that I listen to (http://www.wbgl.org) the Golden Compass will be a trilogy of movies based on the trilogy books by a very outspoken athiest/God-hater. The director of the movie version said that the anti-God aspect of the first movie installment is WAY watered-down compared to the first book, but it will NOT be watered down in movies 2 and 3. I'm guessing they did it this way so that people get sucked in to the story line and really want to see the 2nd and 3rd movies. I DO know that by the 3rd movie, the characters "kill God" so that they can do whatever they want. So I think that's the problem a lot of people have with the series.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

threefriends91
12-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Becky, You are strong in what you believe in and this is great... l also am strong in the same teachings, l have never heard of this movie..You know in your heart that what you do or don't do is between you and the good Lord. l look at it this way, if there is a movie l want to see (and l did see most of the Harry Potter movies and enjoyed them) well some people are so quick to judge us, and they need to read that the good book says they should first take a good look at their selfs. l'm sorry but your so called friend needs to get a life.. and you should not let your self get worked up over this.. let it go and move on, so you don't get stuck in her negative world... l say pray for this lady. and enjoy the gifts God has given you. Love, Peace, and Joy. if satan can get you worked up he will. l'm sure you will know in your heart whats right and whats wrong.Hugs to you

ellie
12-11-2007, 02:01 AM
I heard Dr. Dobson (Focus on the Family) today. He was talking about Santa. He said that fantasy is actually good for children & 99% of them can seperate fantasy from reality. Sometimes, it's good to have a little vacation from life. People get so hung up on what our pastor calls "non kingdom business". I think it's good to see things like that once in awhile with our kids and talk to them about why we feel things are wrong or right.

shurlyjean
12-11-2007, 08:03 AM
I went to the movie over the weekend and would never have thought of the "anti-God" aspect if no one spoke of it. This movie is definately a fantasy, which has it's own type of themes. "Dust" is probably "God" in the movie. So I guess if they get rid of the "Dust" then "God" would be gone. I don't know, but this is what I think.

Movies are movies meant to entertain and sometime raise our consciousness to a subject. People can think and make choices of what they think. I believe your friend was out of line, but this is their belief and it probably won't be easily swayed.

On a scale of 1-10 I liked this movie at a 6. Harry Potter movies would be 8 or 9.

Shirley

MidwestStamper
12-11-2007, 08:22 AM
My boys are a little older: 16 & 18 -- but our whole family loves Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Supernatural stories and media. We are also church going Christians that believe in God.

I believe that God gives us (humans) a brain to think for ourselves (free will) and a soul (to seek and yearn for him). Because I have these gifts from God, I feel that I am free to make my own choices and follow my own heart and conscience-- that said, I would love to see this story on film and so would my family!

We will probably have a good discussion about it afterwards and will even talk about the whole matter of the author of the story being an athiest. My younger son had a good friend in Jr. High that was an atheist, so that's not a new term for him. I HOPE that my sons will ask questions of themselves and of us. I think it will make our faith seem more real to us.

toao
12-11-2007, 08:37 AM
the Golden Compass will be a trilogy of movies based on the trilogy books by a very outspoken athiest/God-hater. The director of the movie version said that the anti-God aspect of the first movie installment is WAY watered-down compared to the first book, but it will NOT be watered down in movies 2 and 3. I'm guessing they did it this way so that people get sucked in to the story line and really want to see the 2nd and 3rd movies. I DO know that by the 3rd movie, the characters "kill God" so that they can do whatever they want. So I think that's the problem a lot of people have with the series.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

I will in NO way shape or form go see this movie. Yes, it's fantasy, but at the same time it was written by an athiest and I WILL NOT support that. I too read that the first movie was to draw in parents and children, but watch out for the final one. I don't know about you, but I have to answer to God about what I watch and allow my child to watch...so this is not something that I want to have to explain to Him, no matter how many excuses I may be able to come up with.

Mary

Becky P
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
An update....well I had a talk with my girls last night to see what THEIR view of the movies were. My 5 year old Kindergartener said that they dont talk about movies at school and that she didnt really remember the movie...other than everyone has pets. OK...good answer from her. I was more concerned about my 11 year old middle schooler.

I asked her what her take was on the movie. She of course was wondering if I meant the part about the anti God and religeon and stuff. I of course replied yes...and her response was EXACTLY what I am proud to say my little SAVED daughter said....Mom, it was a movie. I believe in God and no movie is going to convince me otherwise. I am soooo happy to hear that. I also followed up with what the author had said its intent was and that had I known prior to going we probably wouldnt have gone and that we will NOT be going to the next movies. She completely understood and was very adult like about it. We had a huge discussion about her thoughts and interpretations of it. She said she didnt get anything out of it that was God or UNGod. I told her I didnt either, but that the author did intend for it to be that way and we as Christians are not to take part in stuff like that--we are to stand up against it. So we agreed...it was a great movie. It was fiction. Its awful that Satan has to stoop to such levels...but our God is bigger than this.

toao
12-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Becky, I am very proud of you for further researching this and especially for the way you talked with your daughter about it. What a wonderful mom you are....and your daughter sounds very special as well. I'm so glad that even though you have seen this that you don't plan on viewing the next ones. Good for you.

Mary

IMBlessed5
12-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I agree with you Mary - I won't see it either, nor will my family. Not that the movie is going to go bankrupt by a lack of our 5 movie tickets, but it's a matter of principle and setting examples for our kids. Some things we just can't condone, ya know?

countrycowgirl
12-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Movies are meant (unless they are documentaries) to be entertainment. And I think we simply need to take them as such.. if you enjoyed it and were entertained and you did not feel it offended your values than great. It is great that you went on to research it further and have made an opinion and discussed it with your DD.

There is a lot of hype on things like this... as many have stated by the author, or people directly involved to sell tickets.. it has been such with other movies like the DaVinci Code and The Passion of the Christ as well.

I think we all have values we want to pass onto our children and it seems your DD has the ones you want her to have, that is the most important thing.

Whether people choose to go or not is their own decision. But I don't think we should be judging them for it.

Don't feel guilty about it!

Cheers

IMBlessed5
12-11-2007, 07:17 PM
No, you're right! I would never judge anyone who does go to see it. I don't care who does or doesn't, and I would never tell anyone "you shouldn't.....". Now if they asked me "what's the deal with this movie?", then I would tell them what I know (not rumors, but facts). Like you said, people have very strong opinions about subjects like this, be it pro, con, or neutral. I tried to stay neutral in my post on page 1, but did give my opinion in my second post. I'm really glad to see conversation like this on a message board without bashing and name-calling like I've seen on so many others. It's really refreshing!

HUGS to all!

Erin K
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I've read the books. The athiest them is stronger in the books I've heard than in the movies.

I will admit I loved the books. They are really well written. I had to reread parts to really get the anit-God thing. I mean I knew they kill that character and all, but I didn't really think that character was MY GOD, because he's not like God at all, he's a stinky character. I didn't mind that they killed him. So... that says a lot about the intent the author apparently had, that my God loving self didn't mind...

That's my honest review for you parents who are on the fence. I can't take back that it was an enjoyable read, I would be very careful about sharing it with my own kids though.

IMBlessed5
12-11-2007, 10:53 PM
That's very interesting Erin! I hadn't talked to anyone who had actually read it. And you're right - that does say a lot about the author, to try and portray God like that and think it's believable. I guess to some people who are looking for that type of thing would believe it, but whatever.

hutchink
12-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Ok it is official...drum roll please.......I live under a ROCK! I have never heard of this movie or the books....I guess I need not worry about all the fuss of it!

logcabincreations
12-13-2007, 07:00 AM
A Christian friend of mine emailed this newsletter to me...which may be helpful to those who are considering going to see the movie. I plan not to go see it because I don't support anyone who hates God. I was surprised to read that Sam Elliott, one of my favorite actors, is in the movie. Oh well. Hope this opens for you: http://webmailb.netzero.net/webmail/new/21?folder=Inbox&uniqMsgId=0017OAY600002CTL&attachId=10&[email protected]&content=

Erin K
12-13-2007, 09:21 AM
I hope you all realize that you do support people who don't believe in God every day. I mean you don't KNOW, but probably you do without knowing it.

I think the distinction for me is that this person is activly speaking against God.

When I first heard all the fuss I said, "Well I read the books and loved them, I will watch the movie, I can watch a movie that's not a Christian movie, do it all the time" But if the author is saying that the books are directly an attack on God that's a horse of a different color for me.

So for me it's not his personal beliefs that bother me but his campaign against MY personal beliefs if that makes sense.

logcabincreations
12-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I hope you all realize that you do support people who don't believe in God every day. I mean you don't KNOW, but probably you do without knowing it.

I think the distinction for me is that this person is activly speaking against God.

When I first heard all the fuss I said, "Well I read the books and loved them, I will watch the movie, I can watch a movie that's not a Christian movie, do it all the time" But if the author is saying that the books are directly an attack on God that's a horse of a different color for me.

So for me it's not his personal beliefs that bother me but his campaign against MY personal beliefs if that makes sense.

You are very right Erin...we do it not knowingly....and he does have an agenda. I guess what I really meant to say is that I just really don't want to put money into his pocket, and that's would I would be doing if I go to see the movie.

threefriends91
12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Becky, After taking a look at the facts and looking over all that has been said, l feel l should yet again give my opinion. First off l'm so glad we can all share openly without judging each other. l did learn something and feel the need to say sorry, l was quick to give my opinion with out looking at all the facts. Please note l am not judging you at all. l myself see lots of non Christian movies and enjoy most of them. l do not agree with the way your friend came after you. l'm glad you and the other ladies did do some research and have taught me not to be so quick to give an opinion without the facts. l do love this place, l know l learn something new everyday. And with that being said l want to thank those who took the time to research this out and cared enough to share this with us. Thanks for keeping me out of satans playground... Hugs to you Becky, and thanks for bring this up. With the knowledge and facts that l learned. l am sure not going to support an author that is speaking against God!!...It's great we have friends here who take the time to help protect and care for us.

flyingflower
12-13-2007, 01:59 PM
1) I don't go to movies (too loud, too uncomfortable & no bathroom breaks, besides being a waste of good crafting time)
2) I read & re-read & re-read again the Harry Potter books and last I checked I hadn't started worshipping a caldron.
3) The HP books were WAY better then the movies - we bought the 1st 2 DVDx, didn't bother after that.
4) I will not be paying to see GC (see #1 above)
5) If the public library has the books I will check them out.