PDA

View Full Version : Heads - up never use U.P.S. for shipping

threefriends91
12-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Never use U.P.S. when shipping.
The gift l ordered from the U.S.A. came yesterday.. l was told that the shipping was free. They shipped it by U.P.S. When l opened the door the U.P.S. guy said l would have to pay them $36.99..Well l lost it with him and sent it back, after all this gift only cost me $39.00 and weight about 2pds.
So l called the company they could not believe it, and said they paid U.P.S. $11.00 to ship it, they also told me that they would reship it to me by mail and would never use U.P.S. again.
Can you believe it an item that cost $39.00 and is only 2pds.
The company pays $11.00
And if l paid (not) $36.99
The total shipping would have been $ 47.99 That's $10.00 more then what the item cost.mmm l think l'm in the wrong business.

Kreative Dryve
12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I used to work for UPS, and it sounds like the driver had some mis-information. I would have called your local warehouse UPS, they could have cleared this up in the office.
They still might even have it in their warehouse before sending it back to shipper.
Its worth a try. ~MJ

Christie
12-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Well that is very nice of them company to reship it to you. It's always nice to hear when a company does good by a customer!

threefriends91
12-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I used to work for UPS, and it sounds like the driver had some mis-information. I would have called your local warehouse UPS, they could have cleared this up in the office.
They still might even have it in their warehouse before sending it back to shipper.
Its worth a try. ~MJ
l don't think it's the driver as he had given me an InfoNotice with an invoice number. Could he have just made this up himself... But thanks l think l will call just in case.

IMBlessed5
12-13-2007, 12:20 PM
It's true. I send TAC orders to a couple customers in Canada. But I sent my very first one by UPS - I didn't know any better. Well, my customer just happened to not be home at the time but UPS left her a note. She emailed me and said the duty fees (I think that's what it was classified as, not sure though) was almost $40, and would be payable on delivery. I told her to reject it and return it to me. I re-sent it by regular mail.

So yeah, definitely do not use UPS to ship to Canada. It's not anything your particular delivery person did, it really is legitimate. Like I said, not sure if it's duty fees or what, but they DO sock it to ya! I would think companies that ship internationally from US would know that though.

Live and learn I guess!

GrammaStamper
12-13-2007, 12:26 PM
When a company uses UPS, or any other for that matter, the delivering company must complete Import/Export forms and pay duties, etc. This is probably why they charged you. It's happened to me before and while the company paid UPS $11 to ship, that did not include the importation of the goods into Canada. Thank goodness I can pop over to the USA to pick up my purchases.

patg
12-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Hmm, I've never had that happen to me before. But thanks for the heads up! Pat

Kreative Dryve
12-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Oops my bad, might totally different in Canada.
But still call, there still could be a mis-understanding.
During the Holiday Season they have a lot of new and quite frankly very quickly trained drivers. Unless he is your UPS driver that you know, I would check it out.
Everything is done by computer, and if something was put in incorrectly along the line from your shipper to your warehouse to your driver, the customer service that is in the warehouse where your order comes from should be able to either rectify the situation or make you understand the full reason why there was another charge.
At least that is my understanding, and I worked both in the office taking care of these kind of problems, and as a driver who can only go off the information that comes across my little keyboard. They are usually very helpful in clearing up the mess, if not there is always someone over them. Good Luck!

~MJ

threefriends91
12-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Its worth a try. ~MJ

Oops my bad, might totally different in Canada.
But still call, there still could be a mis-understanding.
During the Holiday Season they have a lot of new and quite frankly very quickly trained drivers. Unless he is your UPS driver that you know, I would check it out.
Everything is done by computer, and if something was put in incorrectly along the line from your shipper to your warehouse to your driver, the customer service that is in the warehouse where your order comes from should be able to either rectify the situation or make you understand the full reason why there was another charge.
At least that is my understanding, and I worked both in the office taking care of these kind of problems, and as a driver who can only go off the information that comes across my little keyboard. They are usually very helpful in clearing up the mess, if not there is always someone over them. Good Luck!

~MJ
l just checked it out, it's true the charge is a duties fee. and they feel it's a fare price.

Kreative Dryve
12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
That really bites! Well at least you know what the charge is, and I know that I won't ship UPS to Canada. ~MJ

Nancy
12-13-2007, 09:28 PM
I use UPS quite often but never to Canada, They pick up at my house and deliver at my house. I would look into this a little more. Maybe alot more. Good Luck - Nancy

Swanie78
12-14-2007, 04:52 AM
I HATE UPS!!!
That fact that SU! uses them to ship drives me absolutely insane. Although my packages from SU! get here in a much more timely fashion than a camera place that I use to ship to me from NY. When it comes from NY, it takes 12 hours to go from their warehouse to the UPS warehouse in Portland (4 hours away!) and then takes 3-5 days to get here. Seriously.
Also, EVERY TIME, I get a package that comes from UPS the box looks like they ran it over with the truck before loading it up. I'm always amazed that I still have everything that I ordered from SU!. Good thing they put all the small stuff in bags!
I hope you get your gift quickly and with no more expense!

Tantalize
12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh great... I think that my Copic order that I won a week ago on ebay is shipping UPS. I just hope that I dont get dinged for it, or atleast not too badly! Last time I bought my Prismacolor Pencils, I got dinged about $20... but it still worked out to be cheaper than getting them here in Canada.