PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there "foster" animals for shelters?

GotCats?
12-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Whew. I am such a softie when it comes to pets. Especially kitties of course. Well I found this stray just sitting in the middle of my road. Sweetest thing in the world, but I already have two that I travel with (can't imagine riding in a car with THREE!). No one I knew here wanted one, so I took her to the shelter. I called to check on her and they said she was sick and could i foster her? I said yes. My first time fostering.

Well, today I took her back cause she was better. I have to say that it totally broke my heart! SHe is the SWEETEST thing--only wants to talk to me, purrs non stop, and loves to head-butt people. Such a sweetie. I even took pictures of her and made scrapbook pages for them to post about her to help her find a good home.

But I still totally feel like I betrayed her by taking her back there! Anyone else been in this situation???????

Christie
12-15-2007, 08:41 PM
I know your feeling. I found a cat here that the owners had tossed out. He was such a sweetheart. Took care of him for about a week and when I knew it was going to get cold I took him to a shelter, I cried all the way home and for a couple days after. He was so sweet and I wanted to keep him. I could never foster animals because I would get way to attached to them!! That was very sweet of you to take care of her until she got all better.

cindi
12-15-2007, 11:38 PM
I couldn't do it!! I fall in love with them too quick and would never be able to part with them..then before you know it I'd be some crazy cat lady!
I'm proud of you for helping out tghis kitty and I hope she gets a loving home.
:)

mydogstinks2
12-16-2007, 07:41 AM
I have known people that foster and raise seeing eye puppies. Thay said at first it was hard but they knew that the animals went to great homes. There was always one going and one coming. Once they really got into it they said it was great.

stampinmom3
12-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I brought a dog home from the vet I worked at to foster for the weekend. That was almost 5 years ago. He never went back. LOL He is our beloved Rookie.

ngreek
12-16-2007, 12:23 PM
My sister does the fostering thing.. but instead of going through specifically the shelter she goes through one of the rescue's. She helps with the chiuauha rescue. She went that route with a rescue because she gets a hand in deciding who gets to take the dog and makes sure they go to good homes.

She also fosters birds and has had some real success with those also.

Nicole

Becky P
12-16-2007, 12:50 PM
My mom is also a rescue mom. She does it for mini schnauzers. No, I could NEVER do it as Id be a cat lady right there with Cindi. Everyone says its cause I cant differentiate between humans and animals. My cats think they are humans and my dog thinks hes a cat (which is BETTER than a human). Spoiled beyond all.