PDA

View Full Version : Every stinkin' thing I make is crooked

lost luggage
11-28-2006, 10:25 PM
I put one of those positioner things on my wish list...do they work? How do you guys make things "straight"?

GrammaStamper
11-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Well, I use the Dahle 507, laced with a good strong Scotch and soda! After a couple of those, I really don't give a hoot! LOL!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that!

tojoco
11-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Barb, you are too funny but right! LOL

lost luggage
11-28-2006, 10:31 PM
LOL! it's not my paper....it's my stamp positioning and my glueing. I'll send Dh out for Scotch tonight..

teabear
11-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Julie, sometimes I do a test on a scratch paper first to see how the stamp is stamping. Alot depends on how it is postitioned on the block, then I go from there. Minor imperfections are a part of the process, just have a glass of wine and then it won't matter anymore. Sorry, Barb, I'm not a scotch gal :)

lost luggage
11-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Soo...what you're all saying is that I should not buy that positioner thing?

dgbearsmom
11-28-2006, 10:53 PM
I seem to have the same problem. I'm trying to not be too much of a perfectionist. Worse yet, my paper trimmer seems to be cutting crooked and I can't figure out why. It has only been doing this recently, so I don't think it's me. I'm holding the paper against the little guide thingy and everything, so I'm not sure what else I can do.

I can't do Scotch, but maybe I'll try a good strong margarita or a couple of nice micro-brews next time.:nod:

Judy

teabear
11-28-2006, 10:54 PM
but I've heard that they work well. If you aren't happy with the results you are getting, it's worth a shot. I think it's pretty inexpensive and you can use a coupon :)

GrammaStamper
11-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Sorry, Barb, I'm not a scotch gal :)

I'n not a scotch gal either, Tami, but I couldn't think of anything else! In fact, I rarely have alcohol, unless the power goes out and DH opens a bottle of wine for a chat. We haven't had a power outage in a couple of years. Man, no wonder I'm thirsty. :mask:

smkymtsu
11-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Goodness gracious ladies! I assume that if I see crooked cards from anyone of you that it is due to "a little" scotch, wine etc. You guys are too funny! Just Julie I'm sorry I can't help you with your question but I sure got a laugh out of the answers you got!
Susan

Erin K
11-28-2006, 11:47 PM
I have heard that the positioners work great, but that's a whole extra step, i think you have to stamp it on some clear stuff then line it up and remove the clear stuff ad stamp again. Too much trouble for me. I just don't worry about it. I use mostly unmounted too and I trim them very close so that helps.

For the record I've looked at everything you've posted and never noticed you stamping crooked at all. So it can't be too bad! But if you are bothered I think you should get the positioner. I have friends who won't stamp without it. :nod:

1of2shoes
11-29-2006, 02:24 AM
I use it on practically every single card I make. I think it's easy to use. I haven't tried the addition of Scotch or any other libation, but maybe I should... you never know what kind of creation I'd come up with. :wub:

Alli
11-29-2006, 03:04 AM
Now I'm the opposite of Debbie I have a stamp positioner and very rarely use it. The only time I use it is if I am using 2 step stamps and the second stamp needs to be exact.
As to not stamping straight, I don't mount my stamps very straight, but what I do is stamp on a larger piece of card than I need and then trim it until it is straight. I use the image and the grid on my cutter as a guide.
It also sounds like your cutter blade may be getting blunt Julie. I have the guillotine style cutters in large and small and I absolutely love them, I find they are far more accurate than the roller blade type.
Finally, the person receiving your card is not going to look at the art work you sent with love and measure it to make sure it is exact. They receive it with the love it is given and are nowhere near as critical as we are with ourselves! :nod:

maxiesmom
11-29-2006, 07:42 AM
I ever got was that sometimes you just have to let go. This applies to ever aspect of life, stamping included! You have NO idea of how many times I have yelled at myself to knock it off- IT'S JUST A CARD!!!
But I like the drinking idea too :)

mahodgman
11-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Julie, I bought one of those stamp positioner things awhile back. I haven't used it, not even once! Do you use mostly wood mounted stamps? If your stamp is mounted crooked on the wood block, you can put it in the microwave for a few seconds and then peel up the rubber and reposition it straight.

GrammaStamper
11-29-2006, 08:20 AM
When I attended a class last month, the instructor started off with a mantra we were to say whenever we heard someone say they didn't do something right. We were to immediately chant, "If you want it perfect, buy a Hallmark!". You have no idea how many times that was spoken during the day and we laughed everytime we said it. By the end of the day, we loved everything we did, straight, crooked or otherwise.

flyingflower
11-29-2006, 08:36 AM
and it drives me crazy! One of the biggest reasons I love my unmounted stamps. AND there are clear blocks that have guide lines on them to make sure I get things straight!

inkinupstamps
11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Personally, I'm a Chardonnay girl...makes no difference to me after a couple glasses if it is crooked, sideways, up-side-down or if I even remembered to stamp it!:wub:

Seriously though, I have a stamp positioner and it is GREAT! I don't use it as often as I probably should but that is due to my own laziness rather than the effectiveness of the positioner. It really is great and if you are using several different stamps on a card you will be confident to get the image in the right place using the positioner.

HTH ... hic.....:cute:

lost luggage
11-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the feedback you guys!

I'm a wood mounted girl...so I guess the positioner stays on my Xmas list :)

Nancy
11-29-2006, 10:30 AM
I use mine quite often, You can always fix a card that has been stamped and doesn't show up well. You stamp again on tissue paper/ thin paper. Then place it over your badly stamped image exactly, put the positioner in place so when you stamp again, you do the very same place and you have saved a card. I would recommend getting it.:chatterbox: Nancy

cydstamps
12-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I use mine routinely especially for two step stamping. I learned to love the two-steps after getting the positioner. I will sip on my Bailey's:wub:

1of2shoes
12-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Julie, I have two stamp positioners, that's how crazy I am about getting it straight! No, not really, I use the extra for classes, but I use my stamp positioner like every single time I stamp. I LOVE that thing. I've never tried it Barb's way with the Scotch, but hey, it's a new day and I'm game... :) BTW, I have the positioner that M's carries... the purple one called the "Stamp-A-Ma-Jig". Now if I could only glue down my paper straight. Gotta get that Scotch...

ccstampin'
12-07-2006, 12:15 PM
and I used to use it all the time. Lately, I rely on my "expertise" and a big tall glass of...........
Polar Selzer!!!
Hence, the crookedness of some of my stamping projects! LOL:biglaugh:
Joanie