PDA

View Full Version : Need to trick my MIL in thinking I made real gravy this year ...

iloveflipflops
12-20-2007, 06:35 AM
I cannot make real gravy. No matter how hard I try, it just doesn't come out like my MIL's gravy. She's 84 so she will not fix it anymore but I am thinking there must be a store bought kind in the can or jar that is just as good. So far I haven't found it ... any suggestions?!?!??!?!

Sherry
12-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Why don't you ask her to show you how she does it? It may make her feel good plus the gravy WILL get made, haha!

Nancy
12-20-2007, 07:10 AM
First you can make gravy from ham. At least I dont. You could buy turkey gravy in the store in the small packets. - Then maybe she will help you to make it. My mother-in-law says shes not cooking anymore either, so when we visit this summer, I have to cook. She still won't give up her biscuit recipe ( I feel she always bought them in a store) but hid the wrappings. - Nancy

stampinmom3
12-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Good luck. My gravy su**s too! I always buy the kind in a jar or the packet kind at the grocery store. We really like them both. Anything is better than mine. LOL

My3Ds
12-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Heinz makes a good jar gravy.

dreis1
12-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Well let this old and I mean old Arkansas girl teach you how to make gravy.

To make Sausage gravy for breakfast, take your roll of sausage, I use Bob Evans, and fry it until done, then add 4 heaping tablespoons of flour to the pan, add enough oil to get the mixture where it will be soupy, (guessing 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Keep stiring this until the flour turns a light tan. I pour up 2 cans evaporated milk and 2 cups of water together and then add to the pan. Continue cooking and stiring until the mixture starts to boil. This should work.

Bixcuits are also easy. Take 12 oz milk, to which you add 1 heaping tablespoon of crisco, and 2 cups of self-rising flour mix together. Drop by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 450 degrees for 20 mins.

If you are making gravy from a roast, use the drippings from the roast to which you add 2 cups of water, I then add a heaping tablespoon of corn starch to 3/4 cup of water and mix well. Add to the dripping and begin to stir. Bring to a boil, and your gravy should start to thicken. If it is still to runny, add another spoon of corn starch to 1/2 cup water then add to mixture. Take the pan off the stove and add the cornstarch water or you will get lumpy gravy if you add it to boiling mixture. Any questions, let me know. Glinda

GrammaStamper
12-20-2007, 08:56 AM
I buy gravy mix by Knorr. They are the best and, you can make it in the microwave. Make it before she arrives, or while she's sleeping and put it in the fridge. Then, when you need it, pop it into the microwave to get it hot again. Make 2 packages so you'll have plenty. I wouldn't make any other kind of gravy now.

Also, Swiss Chalet Home Style gravy is fabulous, especially with chicken or turkey. Go get some now!

inkypingers
12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Someone gave me this recipie for white sauce, but I use it for gravy now:
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 cup milk or drippings from meat

melt butter, turn up heat, add flour, stirring constantly about 1-2 min.
add milk or drippings, continue to stir...I double it for gravy, usually 1/2 c
milk and the rest the drippings from the meat. Then you salt and pepper to taste.
I use this all the time for scalloped pot. and ham, and gravy too.
Good luck! Nothing like the holiday preasures to make the season bright.
Inky hugs,
Jennifer

teabear
12-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I didn't know you were an Arkansas gal, Glinda. Both sides of my family are from Arkansas. Gravy is it's own food group around here. I learned how to make it from practically anything when I was a kid. If you want ham gravy, you have to add alot of water to the ham drippings. I taste it from a spoon until it isn't too salty. Then mix together flour and cold water (about 1 part flour to 3 parts water). Shake it together in a jar or use the tupperware salad dressing mixing thing-it's the best. Slowly stir and pour in the flour and wather mixture and bring to a boil. There is also a product made in England called Bisto that adds alot to gravy. Mom puts a spoonful of that into nearly any gravy.

Heck, we even eat chocolate gravy and biscuits.....more like a warm chocolate sauce. LOL

threefriends91
12-20-2007, 10:34 AM
l'm glad l took a little rest from packing LOL.
l have been told that my gravy is great and here is what l do:
1-After l take out the turkey, roast beef, whatever
2- l add some water in the baking pan around 4 to 6 cups
3- l mix 3 large tablesp. of Bisto and 3 large tablesp. of Corn Starch into a coffee cup, and fill the cup with cold water, they mix well with no lumps.
4- l bring my juice and water thats in the pan to a boil and then add your mix.
make sure your keep mixing it while its boiling and then it thickens and is mmm good.
Sometimes if their is any meat droppings in the pan l just leave these in to boil for extra taste.
If it becomes to thick just add a bit more water, or not thick enough make up a bit more mix and add it.
Very easy and sooo tasty.

dreis1
12-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Tami, what part of Arkansas, I was born and raised in a town about 50 miles north of Little Rock, called Searcy. I have lived most of my adult life in Indiana. This is now home to me. Glinda

iloveflipflops
12-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Part of my problem is I will fix my turkey breast on Tues and just us are eating some of it on Tues and all of us are eating on Wed. So i am thinking my gravy won't be good by then, if i have any left that is ... that is why I need to buy canned I think...

My3Ds
12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Go get the Heinz turkey gravy in the jar. It really is good. Or, go see what Trader Joe's has to offer or recommend.

Erin K
12-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Get two brands of jar gravy.

Mix them in your sauce pan

add a dash of your own turkey juice

spot your arms with flour

heck put a pinch of flour in your two jar gravy

when asked say it's a secret recipe. It's NOT just you opened a jar... it shouldn't taste JUST LIKE any jar gravy anyone knows... (that's why you need two different brands)

iloveflipflops
12-20-2007, 01:55 PM
DING DING DING -- Love Erin's idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccstampin12
12-20-2007, 02:16 PM
That Erin! She's a sneaky one!
I was going to suggest adding a bit of flour to some jar gravy so it's lumpy....LOL
Joanie

tojoco
12-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I ditto what Erin says but I do swear by the Heinz gravy in a jar.

Canadian, eh
12-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I won't share my recipe, as I see you have been provided with some, but I agree with Sherry's suggestion; why don't you ask her how to make it. Imagine how tickled she will be to hear you ask.

HeatherJ
12-20-2007, 07:40 PM
My MIL is a great cook and loves to be asked to do her thing in the kitchen, and she has even honoured me by calling for a recipe or two from me (luckily it wasn't botten!)

If you don't think asking her to make it is the best idea, then I agree with Joanie, add some of your own flour to the mixes and leave the sifter and a few sprinkles of flour in the counter for atmosphere!

Jarie
12-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Sherrie,

The Heinz gravies in the jar are the best to me if you aren't making the gravy yourself.

Janet

ellie
12-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Hey Sherri, I bet Boston Market and Kentucky Fried sell their gravy...maybe even Honey Baked Ham.

tesschap
12-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm in the same 'gravy' boat as you Sherri. I can't make gravy to save myself! I find that I buy jarred gravy - the appropriate flavor for the meat I am cooking and I add some of the juices from the meat and everyone seems happy! Good luck!

Nancy
12-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Could you e mail that to me. I dont know how to copy it from here (without a pencil) Thanks Nancy

Nancy
12-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Forget it I printed out the whole page Thanks again - Nancy