PDA

View Full Version : What's on the menu for Christmas for your family?

loobylou
12-22-2007, 04:54 AM
I just had my Family Christmas Party with my Mum and dad and sister, brother and all the kids (nieces and nephews)
There were 8 adults and 8 kids .
We had nibbles for an hour or so (chilli conqueso, mexican dip, corn chips nuts, cheeses, crackers, salamis, and other bits n pieces.)

Then a BBQ with steaks, onions and chicken sticks and sausages and hamburgers with lots of salads and potato bake, a few prawns and a lobster.

For dessert I made a sherry trifle and Icecream cake,

just finished cleaning up and everyone has gone home. I'm stuffed.

We leave in the morning for our trip to the Inlaws.
Merry Christmas Everyone

So what is on the menu at your family Christmas???

iloveflipflops
12-22-2007, 05:53 AM
WOW! Yours sounds great!!

For lunch we are having: swedish meatballs in crockpot, pigs in blanket, fruit salad, deviled eggs and pinwheel sandwiches.

For dinner we will have: ham, turkey, cranberry sauce, corn, green beans, mashed potatoes & gravy, roll and 3 desserts

stampinmom3
12-22-2007, 08:38 AM
For breakfast we will have our traditional Christmas morning breakfast casserole. For dinner we are having ham, sweet potatos, baked corn, mac and cheese, cranberry salad, fruit salad and apple pies.

My3Ds
12-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Sounds awesome Sarah. We'll have turkey, ham, mashed potatos, sweet potatos, salad, green beans, rolls, cakes, pies, ice cream and my dm's wonderful fruit salad. In other words, way too much.

iloveflipflops
12-22-2007, 08:58 AM
What kind of fruit salad does your dm make? I am always wanting to try new fruit salads.

My3Ds
12-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Sherri - it's really not that great as far as being different. It's just really, really good. You'll think I'm crazy and will laugh, but here it is...

She starts with a couple of cans of fruit cocktail. The according to her, she *doctors it up* by adding fresh fruit (bananas, oranges, apples, grapes, etc.) and adds orange juice. Tropicana Pure Premium - Grovestand with lots of pulp. Not the frozen kind.

Sounds simple and weird probably, but it really is good.

Christie
12-22-2007, 09:24 AM
I just went to the store yesterday to buy all the stuff to make my dinner. We are having turkey, ham, dressing, candied yams, green bean casserole, rolls, deviled eggs, cookies, apple pie, and pecan pie. I think that's it. OH and Giblet Gravy!!!

iloveflipflops
12-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Everything sounds great Christie except for the GIBLET GRAVY!!! You can have that!!! lol

My3Ds
12-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Ditto on the Giblets. Sherri, did you see the fruit salad recipe?

Christie
12-22-2007, 09:33 AM
You guys is really is good! You don't even know the giblets are in there!!

mjbonoan
12-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Mom's cooking a brisket, potato salad, beans, sweet potatoes, and I'll have to think of something of dessert... maybe pistachio cake!!

teabear
12-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm cooking the holiday meal all by my lonesome this year. Well, my hubby will help and Kyle is setting the table. We are having ham, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatos with gravy, green beans and brown & serve rolls. Cookies from the cookie exchange for dessert.

IMBlessed5
12-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Our first Christmas shin-dig is tomorrow at my mom and dad's. I'm bringing pork loin, persimmon pudding, and mashed potatoes. She's making turkey breast, noodles, green beans, rolls. We both made fudge and other candy.

(Here's how I make my pork loin - it's SOOOO yummy! Put a 3-5 lb. roast in a crock pot. Add one envelope onion soup mix, one can cream of mushroom soup, garlic powder, couple tablespoons Worchestershire sauce, salt & pepper. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 3-5 hours. LOVE this!)

Ok, back to menu. On Christmas day, mother-in-law always makes home made cinnamon rolls and orange julius. YUM! Not sure what's for dinner there, probably turkey or ham.

I'm getting hungry reading all these ideas!

Canadian, eh
12-22-2007, 04:03 PM
It's a small gathering this year with just four of us, so items are really scaled back. 20 lb fresh turkey (we pick it up at the farm tomorrow), a new pea and bacon recipe I found at Southern Living's site, mashed potatoes, fruit salad, corn, peppermint three layer cake I found at Southern Living's site as well. I love to try new recipes out for special meals.

shuggy
12-22-2007, 04:20 PM
we are all getting together at my house on christmas eve day (around noon). we opted for a non-traditional meal...we are doing a nacho bar!!!

suzi_f
12-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm cooking this year. It was supposed to be just dh's family but my parents decided to come up & that caused both my bros & their families to want to come. So, it'll be about 18 of us. YIKES!!! I hope I have enough food!!!

We're having ham (10 lbs, is that big enough? I'm worried now!) oven roasted potatos, mac & cheese, corn, baked beans and rolls. My MIL is bringing a cake of some sort & I'm gonna bake a couple of pies. I also have 10000 cookies. Unless the kids get into the cut out cookies!!

loobylou
12-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Merry Christmas, and thanks for sharing your Christmas menus with me. We had Christmas day Lunch with the in-laws. It was Tiger prawns (jumbo shrimp), crayfish (lobster), ham, marinated honey soy chicken, salads, garlic bread and plum pudding for dessert with cream and custard. Yummo. This is a pretty standard Christmas day lunch for us.
Isn't it interesting to see what we all eat?

ellie
12-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I made a breakfast casserole and then for dinner I made 2 roasts, mashed potatoes & gravy, creamed corn, & green beans. For dessert, we had chocolate heath bar pie, cream brulee cheesecake, i& talian lemon cream cake. That doesn't include the huge bowl of assorted chocolates that was sitting on the table. Then I wonder why I shake my head when I go shopping for clothes.

bubblegum girl
12-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Ohhh we had such a good dinner at my grandma's! it was a hard Christmas cu its the first since Grandpa passed away but here is ouir dinner:

Turkey (perfectly cooked as always by my aunt)
mashed Potatoes with gravey
sage stuffing (yummo)
Sweet Potatoes
Graham Cracker Fluff (Recipe (http://www.recipegoldmine.com/dessG/graham-cracker-fluff.html))
Salad
cranberrys
fresh Buns with homemade stawberry jam
assorted sweets for dessert latter in the afternoon including holly cookies!!!
oh and copious ammounts of iced tea!!

logcabincreations
12-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Since I missed this thread originally, I'm catching up.

At my parents on Christmas Eve, Appetizers: artichoke dip & chips; blue cheese dip and crackers; cheesball and crackers, olives and pickles; Main Course: there was oyster stew, ham, turkey, stuffing, gravy, hashbrown potato casserole, pineapple casserole, green beans, broccoli casserole, asparagus casserole, lima beans, corn pudding, broccoli/cauliflower salad, baked beans, homemade bread, and Desserts: coconut cake, blueberry salad, lemon bars, homemade candy, apple cake, hermit cake, homemade custard (my mom's done this for 61 years--she and my dad have been married 61 years).

At my father-in-law's Christmas night, we had oyster stew, ham biscuits, coleslaw, fruit salad, rice krispie treats and brownies -- suited me just fine since I ate enough food the day before for 5 people!