PDA

View Full Version : Our wild goose chase today

IMBlessed5
12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
I took all 3 kids shopping today to spend their gift cards from Christmas. The "most important" thing was a Nintendo DS Lite for 15 year old DS. Being the uneducated DS Lite mother that I am, I did not realize what a hot item these little burgers are! We went to:
Toys R Us
Walmart
Kmart
Circuit City
Game Stop
Radio Shack
Pawn Shop
A different Walmart

For some reason, a couple sales people almost laughed at me when I asked "do you have any nintendo ds lite's in stock?" :P AND - at Game Stop we got alllll excited. We walk in and their shelf if FULL of DS Lite boxes! Now, they all said "for display only" but they also had price tags on them. So I'm thinking ok, I just take this box up to the counter to get the game, right?! We wait in line only to have the girl say "we don't have any of these in stock". :realmad: (ok, then take the darn boxes off your shelf!!!! Or at least post a sign!)

At the second Walmart, I asked when they would get more in. THREE sales associates were standing there. None of them knew for sure, only that they get trucks in most every day. They did take my name and phone number and said they'd call us when they got more.

So we went home, and we weren't there but maybe 20 minutes and we get a call from Walmart. "We found some in the back and we'll set one aside for you". :eek: (Ok, why couldn't anyone go look about 20 minutes ago before we drove the 12 miles home!) So off we went again, back to Walmart. But it was good cuz other DS and DD spent the rest of their gift cards on the second trip there.

I have 3 happy kids this evening. WHEW!

ellie
12-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Ugh...sounds like an exhausting day. I am glad it all worked out.

directmailscrapper
12-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Don't you hate it when finding a specific gift becomes a challenge?? I remember way back when finding a Cabbage Patch doll was IMPOSSIBLE and people would stake out stores hoping to get one. Same problem now -- just different toys!

logcabincreations
12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
yep...a wild goose chase for sure....gotta have a few of these when your kids are growing up. I remember going to 5 shoe stores in one day just to find my middle ds a pair of size 13 tennis shoes that he actually liked and would wear :swoon:

IMBlessed5
12-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Yes Nancy - seems like every year at Christmas there is at least one hot ticket item that you can't find anywhere! Tickle me elmo, the latest video game system, can't think of any others right now besides cabbage patch's like you said. I'd just been lucky that none of my kids wanted any of those hard to find things until now! LOL

It was worth it though. We were doing the happy dance! And it actually taught the kids a lesson I hope on persistance and not giving up. :D

Now for the tennis shoes Jan - luckily my kids aren't too picky on clothes and shoes! WHEW!

Christie
12-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Sounds like you had a very busy day. I'm glad that your kiddies finally got what they wanted and now you can spend Sunday crafting!!!!

loobylou
12-30-2007, 02:13 AM
It's interesting to see that the "HOT" items are almost the same there as in Australia. I ran around to all the stores to get the latest Harry Potter. We didn't get a Wii, but families who left it to the last minute missed out. My youngest son (11) has a DS and gets a lot of use from it. I think you will find it was worth searching for.

threefriends91
12-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Oh l 'm glad everyone got what they wanted. But l do agree that it's so up setting to walk into a store and see what your looking for, and after waiting in line what seems to be hours, only to find out they don't have your item in stock, or will not even try to find it in the back.
Well l'm glad Vicki it turned out for you.. and now you can rest.

IMBlessed5
12-30-2007, 02:49 PM
My youngest son (11) has a DS and gets a lot of use from it. I think you will find it was worth searching for.

Oh it was definitely worth the search! He has played it for hours already. But the reason I am so thrilled is: he was originally saving up for an Xbox360 - the $349 one. Still had about $150 to go to get there. Then he tried out a friend's DS Lite, liked it, and we started learning more about it on the internet. Found out the DS Lite is about $220 cheaper than the Xbox360, it's portable so can play it anywhere, the games for it are cheaper, and he can still play online with other friends (which is why he wanted the 360 so bad, and I already had a wireless router set up). It was a win-win situation!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

suzi_f
12-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Just a warning: we bought ds the DS internet browser thingie. NEVER got it to work right. Don't waste you $$$ on that. Of course, we found out the Wii can access the internet. Now he doesn't need the DS Browser.

Kreative Dryve
12-30-2007, 03:49 PM
My DH and I did this little all over town excursion too, only before Christmas, and we were looking for PSP's. We found two, what we needed, and it was at the last store in town.
What we do to entertain our children!
~Marie

IMBlessed5
12-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Just a warning: we bought ds the DS internet browser thingie. NEVER got it to work right. Don't waste you $$$ on that. Of course, we found out the Wii can access the internet. Now he doesn't need the DS Browser.

DS can play his DS Lite online through my router. It worked right away thank goodness! The Wii sounds really cool, read about it on the other thread here!

mydogstinks2
12-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I need a nap just after reading that! Glad everyone is happy!