PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone out there quilt?

GotCats?
12-30-2007, 10:36 AM
I quilt, but I hate hate HATE the part where you do the actual "quilting"--sewing all the layers together. Blah. I know that sometimes ladies have the super sewing machines that do this easily and so advertise their services to do the quilting for people.....Does anyone here do that? Or know of any good places that do that?

I am working on a friend's baby quilt and I was miserable last night doing the quilting part. I have 2 more quilts in the works, but knowing the "quilting" part is coming up doesn't give me much incentive to continue. I prefer putting the top part together! That is much more fun!!!!

:-)

Vintagegal
12-30-2007, 10:38 AM
If I'm going to 'quilt' anything larger than a small wall hanging, I will have it professionally quilted at one of two local quilting stores. They charge 5 cents per square inch (I think). The quality is really good, and they will even do the binding for me. 90% of my quilts are queen size, so I hardly do any handquilting. They'll take orders from out of town, so if you'd like their phone number, I can pass that along to you.

GotCats?
12-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Yes please! I haven't found any local quilt shops here yet. ANd most of mines are also queen sized! Waaaaaay difficult to try to bundle all that material to fit into a regular sized sewing machine!!!!
Thanks!!!!

iloveflipflops
12-30-2007, 10:53 AM
No but I would LOVE to learn how to quilt. I have been wanting to do this for some time now but have never done it. I think I need to take a class, that is what i would like to do. Make quilts for next years Christmas gifts. Everyone would be so impressed, including myself!!!

teabear
12-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I was going to suggest your local quilt shop. You might call the closest one and see if they have someone. Almost all of them have a list of people who have long arms to do quilting. I like to hand quilt and free motion machine quilt, but only on small projects. I have 4 finished quilt tops here that need to be quilted. My cousin just got a long arm quilter, so I may pay her to quilt for me when she's ready.

Kreative Dryve
12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I know a few ladies here in Montana that do this. In fact the whole reason my shoulder issues started was delivering a large quilting table and machine. They do wonderful work too! I would definately check with the local quilt shop in your area. ~Marie

Nancy
12-30-2007, 05:23 PM
If you live near a place with a Senior Center, sometimes the women will do it for a donation to their Center. - Nancy

1of2shoes
12-30-2007, 11:50 PM
When my quilts are finished, I send them out to a professional for quilting. I've never attempted to do it myself. I've paid about $150 for a twin/full sized quilt and I got to choose the quilting patterns. There are ladies from the quilt store that do it. I'd love to see your finished quilts. Here's one that I made for my girlfriend who loves VW bugs. Unfortunately, you can't see the machine quilting, sorry 'bout that, but it was done as squiggles and flowers that match those on the fabric.

suzi_f
12-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Debbi, that is sooooo cute!! I'm sure your friend was gaa gaa over it. I've never seen anything like it.

GSMom385
12-31-2007, 08:28 AM
I quilt but I never have time to do it anymore. I find it very relaxing to hand quilt, but like you the machine quilting puts me over the edge. My Mom is the big quilter. She does all of hers by hand. She doesn't do quilts for anyone else, and she gets asked all the time. She says her hand quilting isn't "good enough" to charge for. Whatever! I know the local fabric shops here keep lists of people that quilt so I would check with your LS and see if they have a list of ladies in your area. Also around here we have alot of Amish communities and they often have large groups of ladies that quilt. Lots of the gals around here like that because their quilt gets done faster. Not sure if there is that type of group in your area, but I know they take in lots of quilts because that is one of their only sources of income.

hutchink
12-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Looking at Debbie's quilt makes me want to take a class and learn how to do it! I would have it sent off to be done!

Suzanne
12-31-2007, 11:24 AM
I love doing the quilt tops but detest doing the actual quilting. I would love to do some quilts for my nieces & nephew & kids, but haven't found anyone to do the actual quilting part.

Patty
12-31-2007, 11:51 AM
I have a friend who quilts, and with her help I did one queen size, doulbe irish wedding ring quilt--if you need someone, she has names--just let me know.

toao
12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
I have two finished quilt tops that need to be finished and that's the very reason they are not. I don't know how to put the batting, backing and quilting together. I have a local quilt shop here, but haven't asked how much that service would cost.

Mary

Canadian, eh
12-31-2007, 03:33 PM
That is my favourite part of quilting, believe it or not. I hate the binding and get my girlfriend to do that for me. In fact, I gave her my queen size quilt I did because I didn't want to bind it--and I told her to keep it. Suddenly I fell out of love with it because it sat unfinished in my closet for a year.

Patty
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
The woman I took my quilt to charged 1 and 1/2 cent per square inch--she said it depends on the intracies of the pattern you choose--and she included the "stuffing", and I gave her the strips for the binding and she sewed that on too All I had to do was hand stitch around the edge once. What about a label, what are you doing about that?? You gotta put your name and date on it, no?

Christie
12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
When my quilts are finished, I send them out to a professional for quilting. I've never attempted to do it myself. I've paid about $150 for a twin/full sized quilt and I got to choose the quilting patterns. There are ladies from the quilt store that do it. I'd love to see your finished quilts. Here's one that I made for my girlfriend who loves VW bugs. Unfortunately, you can't see the machine quilting, sorry 'bout that, but it was done as squiggles and flowers that match those on the fabric.

This is sooo cute!! I have only quilted table runners and pot holders so far. Never tried the big stuff.

GotCats?
12-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks gals! I didn't find many local quilt shops, but then I did a search for "long arm quilting" in my zip code and I have a whole list!

Yup--I always stitch a label on the back of each. I have to many ideas for more quilts, but I don't want to do them cause I hate the quilting part so much. But now I've got a different recourse!!
:-)