PDA

View Full Version : Does any one celebrate...

mjbonoan
12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Epiphany (http://www.surf-mexico.com/holidays/3kings.htm)? Being of Mexican decent and Catholic, we celebrate the twelve days after Christmas; celebrating the visit of the three wise men to the infant Jesus. I'm just wondering if other cultures celebrate this...

Thanks,

MJ

maxiesmom
12-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I don't know to what extent we 'celebrate' it, but being Catholic myself, we don't take our tree or decorations down till after the 3 Kings have come. It may be a Catholic thing, I'm not sure.

mjbonoan
12-30-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't know to what extent we 'celebrate' it, but being Catholic myself, we don't take our tree or decorations down till after the 3 Kings have come. It may be a Catholic thing, I'm not sure.

You might be right, we don't take our tree down til after the 6th either. It's always been like that, but I never questioned it!

cindi
12-30-2007, 05:44 PM
at church, but I don't keep my tree up.
:)

Kreative Dryve
12-30-2007, 06:14 PM
So that explains why I felt like such a scrooge taking me mine down before surgery. It has to do with my up-bringing, being both catholic and spanish. (Wouda thunk it?)
~Marie

tojoco
12-30-2007, 06:17 PM
We do celebrate. The priests actually visit each home in the Catholic community. In chalk above the door entering the home, they write Caspar, Balthazar, Melchior (the names of the 3 kings that visited the Baby Jesus) and the numbers of the new year. After January 6th, we take our trees down.

maxiesmom
12-30-2007, 06:18 PM
So that explains why I felt like such a scrooge taking me mine down before surgery. It has to do with my up-bringing, being both catholic and spanish. (Wouda thunk it?)
~Marie

Oh yeah, I would have done like my mom did(she had surgery on the 17th) and just put up a small tabletop tree and left it up later and put things away as I could. I don't think I could take all my stuff down early.

Kreative Dryve
12-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh yeah, I would have done like my mom did(she had surgery on the 17th) and just put up a small tabletop tree and left it up later and put things away as I could. I don't think I could take all my stuff down early.

Guess I should have paid more attention to the CCD lessons on Weds Nights, than the boys in my classes. :nod:
~Marie

mjbonoan
12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Guess I should have paid more attention to the CCD lessons on Weds Nights, than the boys in my classes. :nod:
~Marie

too funny... my ccd instructor was also a sub at school... keep in mind that this was almost 40 yrs ago... however I only know the Padre Nuestro and Ave Maria in Spanish cause they didn't teach it in English... bummer!!

GrammaStamper
12-30-2007, 07:46 PM
We have friends who are Ukranian and they celebrate Epiphany in a big way, with a meal as big as any Christmas dinner I've ever heard of. They serve borscht, cabbage rolls, and tons of other goodies. They are members of the Anglican Church, as are we, but their parents were raised in Europe in the Greek Orthodox church.

maxiesmom
12-30-2007, 09:25 PM
We do celebrate. The priests actually visit each home in the Catholic community. In chalk above the door entering the home, they write Caspar, Balthazar, Melchior (the names of the 3 kings that visited the Baby Jesus) and the numbers of the new year. After January 6th, we take our trees down.

This is VERY cool! I have never heard of any of the churches I've ever belonged to doing this. How awesome and what a great way to really emphasize it!

mjbonoan
12-31-2007, 01:46 AM

What a beautiful way to celebrate this wonderful tradition!

MyRnAbS
01-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Heck, I'm of catholic decent, and let me just say that some years we forget about the poor old tree, and it stays up quite some time ;) BTW, we used to celebrate this stephanie thing or what do u call it mary? epihany well yes our parents used to slip some money in our shoes on the 12th day. Then I got married, and I forgot about that tradition. I guess we're not as well off as they were, hehehe!! How funny by the time the 3 kings men come to our house we're broke ;) hehehehe! Okay just kidding!! But you guys know me, I'm never serious!!!

emmcee
01-02-2008, 09:07 AM
I love these traditions, but it seems like here in Davidson County, NC, that people around here are so bent on getting their trees & decorations done by Thanksgiving, the day after Christmas, the poor old tree comes down because everyone is tired of it and it gets on their nerves. I put my tree and things away yesterday which I usually do on Jan. 1 anyway. I'm in no way tired of it or Christmas and it is never gets on my nerves, it's just while I'm watching the parade, I just do it.

I have a sister-in-law who takes her tree down as soon as the family does Christmas which is usually before Christmas, but her husband hides the tree in the garage til after Christmas so the neighbors won't be suspicious. And I found out this year, he told her he'd give her a Christmas present if she would just wait til Dec. 26 to take the tree down. She's a sweet lady, but she's OCD about her house. We all just laugh at her. I just found all this stuff out this year about her.