PDA

View Full Version : how do you sharpen your Prismas

cindi
01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
and watercolor pencils? I can't seem to keep a good tip on my prismas..for those "tight" areas. so what do you sharpen any or all of your pencils with, and how pointy do you like them?
:)

Jovi
01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
I just use plain ole battery operated pencil sharpener for all my pencils (prisma and derwent). I also like a pointy tip.

scrapsoon
01-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Lots of folks i know is using an eyemakeup-pencil sharpener.
Cause the eyemakeup-pencil is also soft.

ccstampin12
01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
I am wondering the same thing as I keep breaking the tips off in the sharpener!
It's frustrating as those things aren't cheap, and every quarter of an inch is a LOSS!
I'll see about the eyeliner pencil sharpener....great tip!
Joanie

mahodgman
01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
I use a battery operated Panasonic sharpener as recommended by Terry Maderis when I took his class on using Prisma pencils. http://www.discountofficeitems.com/panasonic-battery-operated-pencil-sharpener-pankp4abk-office-products-10297.html When the tips keep breaking off for no apparent reason, he said they have probably been dropped and are broken inside. It is a bummer, but there really isn't anything you can do about it except buy a new pencil and try not to drop them.

ccstampin12
01-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Good to know, Mary. I will plan to look for one this week!
Thanks!
Joanie

cindi
01-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I will check staples & see what they have
:)

directmailscrapper
01-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I have a fabulous little manual one that I think I bought for back-to-school! One little turn and I have the perfect point! I originally sharpened all of my pencils with an electric sharpener, but this one works great in my workspace.

Paula Carden
01-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I am like Nancy- I first sharpen them with the electric, then keep a manual one near by to get the tip- actually I think that manual one came in the box with the Prisma's.
I like the point sharp also.

Sherry
01-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I have two prismacolor pencil sharpeners - the bullet kind and the kind that comes packaged with the pencils. I like the one that comes with the pencils the best. I've had great luck with that one.

GSMom385
01-10-2008, 09:51 PM
You can also use a sanding board like you use with the stumps and the gamsol, by laying the pencil on its side and rubbing to get a sharp point if it is just slightly dull. It makes more of a chisel tip end, but it works for small areas and saves on sharpening it all the time in the electric. Art school trick, we use to do to get points on our charcoal ends. Those sanding boards are like .75 cents. I use mine ALOT.

ellie
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
I have two little metal ones that I bought at the art store. One of them has a large and regular sized hole. I think they were around $2 each. They are perfect and I keep them right in the drawer with my pencils.

loobylou
01-15-2008, 05:43 AM
I use the sharpener that came in the Pismacolour tin. I probably need to keep mine a little sharper than I usually do. But I am using the magnifying glass on my OTT light lamp now to help me see right to the edge (Old eyes are a pain)

tesschap
01-15-2008, 08:32 AM
I have an electric pencil sharpener that I bought at Staples and it works great.