PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Read Debbie Macomber?

mahodgman
01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
I haven't read any of her books yet, but apparently she has a series of books with knitters as the main characters. My friends were talking about it at our get together today. She has her office in Port Orchard, WA, which is where one of my friends lives and where we met up. We had dessert and tea at the Springhouse Dolls & Gifts that bears her name too.

logcabincreations
01-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Is she the author that writes the Shirley, Goodness and Mercy series??

mahodgman
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Is she the author that writes the Shirley, Goodness and Mercy series??

Yes, I think so.

logcabincreations
01-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Well then...my co-worker (an avid reader and book hoarder who has enough for a library of her own) just told me last week to read her books...that they are hilarious!! I haven't read any yet...but when I get the chance I'll pick some up.

JBgreendawn
01-13-2008, 09:22 PM
i did read some a long long time ago they were centered around women who married men in navy if i remember right.
they were good to read.

hth,

My3Ds
01-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I've read one or two of her books.

Darleneh710
01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi Mary, I am in a book club swap on PCMB and I have read about 3 books of hers. I really like her as an author. Also, Monica Ferris writes mysteries relating to knitting. I am reading Crewel Yule by her now. Very interesting...

mdcash
01-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Mary,

I am reading her book "The Shop on Blossom Street". It is about a gal who opens a knitting shop. I am just a few chapters in, so not much to review on yet. Just learning a bit about each of the characters. So far, so good.

tesschap
01-14-2008, 08:43 AM
I read her books. I can't get enough of her writing! I am a Nora Roberts fan and stumbled upon Debbie Macomber last summer. When we're on the boat I can easily read one of her books in a day. I did read the knitting shop book and many in her series about that community. Over my Christmas vacation I read four books - 3 by Debbie - 'Glad Tidings', '44 Cranberry Point', & 'Ready for Love' - & DreamMakers by Nora Roberts. I was handing down my books to my mom and didn't get a chance to give these to her before she left for FL for the winter last week. She's not able to focus as long on a reading as before her medical episode. If anyone wants one or all of these books let me know and I'll throw them in the mail to you.

emmcee
01-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Laura and I have a few of her books. They look really good. Laura likes her stories.

mahodgman
01-14-2008, 09:07 AM
I read her books. I can't get enough of her writing! I am a Nora Roberts fan and stumbled upon Debbie Macomber last summer. When we're on the boat I can easily read one of her books in a day. I did read the knitting shop book and many in her series about that community. Over my Christmas vacation I read four books - 3 by Debbie - 'Glad Tidings', '44 Cranberry Point', & 'Ready for Love' - & DreamMakers by Nora Roberts. I was handing down my books to my mom and didn't get a chance to give these to her before she left for FL for the winter last week. She's not able to focus as long on a reading as before her medical episode. If anyone wants one or all of these books let me know and I'll throw them in the mail to you.

I'm also a Nora Roberts fan. I'd love any or all of the books you mentioned because I haven't read any of them. I'm going to try and pick up one of the knitting stories at the library this week.

tesschap
01-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm also a Nora Roberts fan. I'd love any or all of the books you mentioned because I haven't read any of them. I'm going to try and pick up one of the knitting stories at the library this week.

I will send all four books your way this week. It's snowing here today and I'm trying to finish a work project but I'll get them off to you this week.

tesschap
01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Mary - I'm procrastinating working on my project so I boxed up your books and they will be on their way to you today!

Happy reading :)

Teresa

suzi_f
01-14-2008, 07:18 PM
I like her books for the most part. LOVE any of the Christmas books. I'm not a huge fan of the books that take place in fictional Cedar something I can't remember the name, the last one was a LONG time ago!! The next one won't be out until Sept?!?!) I find them a very slow read. It's boring to go back over some of the stuff & I never feel any closure! I like the blossom street ones as they seem to "end". I have a list of all the stuff she's written & will try another series.

inkinupstamps
01-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Mary, I like her stories. They are nice reads. I did read the knitting themed ones ("A Good Yarn" and something else) and thoroughly enjoyed them.

ngreek
01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Mary I have read almost all of her books. Very good reads. I enjoyed her blossom Street series as it takes place in Seattle and knowing the landmarks. The Cedar Coves series is based off of Port Orchard and Bremerton area so that makes it kind of cool to know some of the landmarks she is portraying. Her writing style is very similiar to Fern Michaels and nother excellent female writer. Characters typically based on strong women who don't know theya re strong until they have to overcome something.
Nicole