PDA

View Full Version : I'm so happy! I just got gamsol mineral spirits!

Erin K
12-01-2006, 05:09 PM
holy cow these make all the difference! I had some terpentiod natural someone said would work, but this gamsol stuff is sooo much better!
http://www.inkyantics.com/ is the website of the company I got my stuff from. It came with a full color step by step direction sheet but...
http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/create/artist/gimbel_mp.html is a great article on the technique

And http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1020&limit=recent is my card I just made using the stuff!

:)

Sherry
12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
holy cow these make all the difference! I had some terpentiod natural someone said would work, but this gamsol stuff is sooo much better!
http://www.inkyantics.com/ is the website of the company I got my stuff from. It came with a full color step by step direction sheet but...
http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/create/artist/gimbel_mp.html is a great article on the technique

And http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1020&limit=recent is my card I just made using the stuff!

Hi Erin!

Gamsol is terrific stuff! Just be sure to store it far away out of the reach of your babies. Gamsol is odourless and might be mistaken for water. It is lethal if swallowed.

Erin K
12-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Sherry, I was just saying to Brian it's funny because I was using the terp natural and that stuff is supposedly nontoxic, but smells bad and is oily, but the Gamsol is toxic but doesn't smell bad and isn't oily... I have it on a high shelf!

Erin K
12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Oh and of course you will notice I have that same one card design I do here... I havent' made my idea book yet!

Erin K
12-01-2006, 05:29 PM
What's wrong?? I think the frog is very cute, why isnt' anyone praising it? :confused:

Caboverde1
12-01-2006, 05:38 PM
PRAISED!:notworthy: LOL Its cute darnit!
TONii

cindi
12-01-2006, 05:49 PM
the tips & websites!!
And your card is adorable!!!:nod:
The blending is inceredable!

lost luggage
12-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Your coloring looks great! I was wondering, are you using a blending stump?

mahodgman
12-01-2006, 10:28 PM
I have to find some Gamsol! I think I also have only used Terpenoid, and I haven't gotten good results. So, I have this uber-expensive box of Prisma pencils sitting around doing nothing because I am a coloring failure! I think $6 plus shipping is a little overboard for 2 oz of the stuff, but I'm going to have to order it if I can't find it locally. Love your frog card!

GrammaStamper
12-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I have to find some Gamsol! I think I also have only used Terpenoid, and I haven't gotten good results. So, I have this uber-expensive box of Prisma pencils sitting around doing nothing because I am a coloring failure! I think $6 plus shipping is a little overboard for 2 oz of the stuff, but I'm going to have to order it if I can't find it locally. Love your frog card!

The local LSS probably won't have it. I actually took the sheet from the Inkyantics website to the art supple store and said, here, this is what I want to do. They gave me a product that is identical to Gamsol, but just another manufacturer. HTH

mahodgman
12-01-2006, 10:48 PM
The local LSS probably won't have it. I actually took the sheet from the Inkyantics website to the art supple store and said, here, this is what I want to do. They gave me a product that is identical to Gamsol, but just another manufacturer. HTH

Barb, do you know the brand name? What I had on hand (from oil paining many moons ago) is Mona Lisa brand turpenoid. This is the brand that Ms and Js sells, and I really just didn't get good results with it. Maybe Gamsol is not the magic solution, but I'd like to give it a try. I'm going to scour the phone book for a real art supply store where the artist go for supplies, and see if I can find it.

LinzyD
12-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks so much for sharing these websites! I was SOOO intimidated by Prismas but now I just might have to give them a try!
Linzy

Erin K
12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I paid $10 for a little bottle and two stumps (yes, Julie I use stumps) and I think it was well worth it. My LSS did have it because some famous guest teacher came and she said she was showing it so they got it in for her and I saw it behind the counter and asked them to sell it to me. I'm sure if I shopped around the art stores I could mabey get it cheaper but I don't mind.

I think I'm gonna go play more. :)

lost luggage
12-06-2006, 07:20 PM
What? I just ordered the 2oz for $5.95 (I already have stumps)...I could have got the 16oz. here locally for $11. I was wondering, the only difference is that the gamsol here comes with a dauber head. Is that important?

Erin K
12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Mine has a dauber head, I like it because as I work I can just touch the little stump to the dauber and it puts just the right amount of fluid on it.

I'm still in love with it by the way and can't wait to see what you do with it.

countrystamper
12-06-2006, 07:58 PM
the same as the gamsal? Unscented mineral spirits? That is what I can get around my neck of the woods. I love the cards in the gallery made using this technique and really want to do this so hope unscented mineral spirits will work.

Linda
:wub:

Erin K
12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I think so. I think Gamsol is a brand name, but the stuff says "100% odorless mineral spirtis" on it. I'd give what you found a try.

I've read that terpenoid natural works but it didn't. :(

lost luggage
12-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Cheers :)

I'll let you know when I get it!

directmailscrapper
12-07-2006, 12:19 AM
:grin: Just what I needed, another fabulous stamp site... I need to go to bed tonite, but just wait until tomorrow. I'm catching up with you (not really, over 900????)

I am also interested in the Gamsol.

Thanks, Nancy

friendsfavors
01-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I got the natural mineral spirts from wal-mart. They seem to work pretty good. I paid less than $4 for the bottle, and it seems to last along time.

Sarah

shuggy
01-19-2007, 05:14 PM
i got a bottle of these from debbie (thanks!!) and i tried them out with my watercolor pencils. it seemed to work nicely. then i got a few prismacolor pencils yesterday at j's (while waiting impatiently for mine to arrive!) and i love them all ready!! i can't wait!!

i tried them out on kerry's (not my boyfriend!) round robin swap, so you girls will have to tell me what you think!!

1of2shoes
01-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Mary: I got mine at my LSS for $10. I just mailed some to Shuggy and it cost me less than $2 to send it. You want me to get you some? Anyone else? Email me if you want it or have questions.

Swanie78
01-19-2007, 07:16 PM
What is gamisol and where do I find it?
I got my Prismacolors in the mail today so I went in search. Craft Mart, JoAnns, and Michaels...no gamisol. I did find the blending stumps at Michaels though so I bought 2 of those.

Erin K
01-19-2007, 07:47 PM
www.inkyantics.com is where mine came from. they have CUTE stamps too

stampcrazyjulie
01-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I read over on SCS that the Mona Lisa Oderless Paint Thinner is the same thing, so I went to Michael's & bought a 16oz bottle for $5.99. The back says that it is 100% oderless mineral spirits. HTH! :)

scrappinnuts
01-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Ok now I really have to have this Gamsol stuff.. I need to get right on ebay and get my prismas... Just downloaded the Instructions..and Erin your card is Great ..thanks for sharing.

Swanie78
01-20-2007, 07:16 AM
I read over on SCS that the Mona Lisa Oderless Paint Thinner is the same thing, so I went to Michael's & bought a 16oz bottle for $5.99. The back says that it is 100% oderless mineral spirits. HTH! :)
Thanks Julie! Ill write that down and go back to get some :) Wonder if they have those neat little pump bottles with the sponge on top too?

Tantalize
01-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Kelly - at my Michaels in canada, they only have these cheesy "dauber" bottles in the kids section. I looked everywhere.. and they mostly only sell empty plastic bottles that squeeze or spray. Boo. I went to an art supply store and found my odorless mineral spirits. yay

mcourtney
01-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Got my Prisma's and my Gamsol the other day! :nod: Sharpened my pencils by hand, got two giant blisters on my fingers. :( Now my fingers are too sore to color. Even bandaids don't help. I'll have to wait to play :cry2:

Swanie78
01-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I just went to Michaels and got some of the Mona Lisa stuff. I found a dauber bottle that I bought to use temporarily. Ill stop by a beauty supply place sometime in the future and buy one of those bottles they use for nail polish remover. Some 2x2's on top will act just like the spongy bottle :)
Gonna eat some lunch, then head back in to play!

Mele2004
01-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Prisma pencils and Gamsol sounds wonderful. I think I better look into this technique! Thanks Ladies.