PDA

View Full Version : IF I were to buy only 5 Copic markers, which colors should i buy?

iloveflipflops
01-25-2008, 08:30 AM
This probably sounds like a crazy question but I am thinking I may have to try these out....

Any advice? And no i cannot order a group at a time from Gina K - I think I would be too impatient to get them the next month. LOL

GrammaStamper
01-25-2008, 08:33 AM
If I were only buying five, I would pick a colour I use often. For me that would be pink. Then I would buy all five in the same colour family, thenyou can blend. And, also get the clear blender, as well. For example, this is how I would do it, with the colour numbers:

Red/Violet
RV000
RV02
RV04
RV06
RV10
RV13
RV21
RV23
RV29
RV34
RV42
RV95

Pick 5 from this family. Hope that's not too bossy.

mahodgman
01-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Since I don't yet own any Copic markers, this is not my advice but rather something Karen Lockhart said when I saw her demonstrating at a LSS. She likes to use Prisma pencils along with the markers. She said to buy light colors and then add shading with the pencils. She said the darker colors were a little too dark. Ok, so for whatever it is worth, I've since seen some great tutorials on blending the Copics, and the dark colors just look really vibrant to me. If I ever get around to trying some out for myself, I think I'll start with some pastels and buid from there.

Erin K
01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I agree to get lighter colors. I think you can get more than one color though. I'd get like two shades each of two colors. Probably a green and a pink then you could do flowers. And get cool gray 1. You can use cool gray 1 over ANY color for muted shading. And you can use it to outline stuff for highlighting and all.

But watch your shades. Not every pink will work with every other pink make sure you get the same family ya know? Like two peachy pinks, or two rosey pinks or whatever. I stupidly got a bunch of random markers so I have two greens but they don't work together.

directmailscrapper
01-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Sherri -- I would buy either YR000 Silk or E00 Skin White AND E01 Pink Flamingo. Those would give you your skin tones with the Pink flamingo for cheeks, shading and depth.

I would buy E33 Sand which is one of the colors I use the most -- it is a medium tan. The darker version of this color is #35 chamois which would also be a great choice.

Then I would probably buy 2 greens. I don't have the greens I really want yet -- I'm looking at G40, G99, YG 03 and YG63 (I got those off of a great blog).

I think EVERYONE needs a very light gray -- I have several grays in Prisma Markers so I didn't buy them in Copic -- but I prefer the tip of the Copics a lot!

I prefer to use the lighter copic colors and add detail, shading and interest with pencils. I'm going to keep working on getting better at blending the copics. LOVE THEM!

Vintagegal
01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I agree with Nancy's choice of:

YR000 Silk
E00 Skin White
E01 Pink Flamingo

These would be good for coloring skin on human images and adding a touch of pink on their cheeks.

As far as two additional colors.....I would grab a 00 Colorless Blender (these are handy to have, but it's sometimes hard to get because it's almost always sold-out).

The fifth color.....stick to a neutral color from any color family (red, blue, yellow).

iloveflipflops
01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Geez girls ... and I thought I was confused BEFORE these notes... now I am REALLY confused! Of course, I went to HL this morning BEFORE I read these notes so I went and looked and got nothing. I wanted to see what you guys said. I went to a HL by my friend's house and it was slim pickings there. Hardly had any colors at all. How in the heck do you know what color family each are in? Is there a handy dandy chart somewhere? So i left empty handed and got nothing. They were $5.69 a piece not on sale. That is highway robbery!! I had no 40% coupon (forgot it at home) but i have one now so maybe I will run over and get a couple. And I hate to admit this, but I NEVER color the skin on my people. I just leave it plain. OMG - is this wrong? I have to start coloring my Elzy's faces now?!?!? Hmm, i better write all this down before i go back. LOL

Vintagegal
01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Sherry, Here is the COPIC Sketch marker link at Dick Blick.com (http://www.dickblick.com/zz221/11/) You'll see the colors towards the bottom of the page. I think they have them grouped according to color family or complimentary colors.

iloveflipflops
01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks Ethel - I will check it out.