PDA

View Full Version : Do you the forest or the trees?

LinzyD
12-03-2006, 01:36 AM
This little story that I found on a WL support group REALLY helped me...

We’ve all heard the old saying, “she can’t see the forest for the trees”, right? Well, I think that when you have a lot of weight to lose, it becomes just the opposite—you can’t see the trees for the forest. In other words, you don’t see losing 5 lbs. As a big deal because you have 25, 50, or 100 lbs. to lose. Well, my friend, you have to concentrate on the trees!!

Ask my leader, Anne. She says that when she finally joined WW for the last time and lost 80 lbs. for good, she did it by losing 5 lbs. at a time. End of story. That was her goal. She knew she could lose 5 lbs. so she concentrated on that. When those 5 were gone, she concentrated on the next 5. I have found that setting small, intermediate goals has really helped me as well. That was 100 lbs. ago!!

You have to take one day at a time. In the beginning, I sometimes had to take one hour at a time—and I’m not kidding. I used to tell myself that I could do ANYTHING for an hour—including drink another glass of water and wait for lunch time. It was hard. Maybe at those times I wasn’t just seeing the trees, I was concentrating on the leaves on the trees!! Now I feel so much more in control of my life that it’s easier to get through those tough times.

Remember that this is a change for your heart and mind, not just for your body. You have to want it—and I mean REALLY want it. And not just to get into your swimsuit or the dress for your class reunion or a wedding—you have to want it for FOREVER!! I think it’s Dr Phil who talks about “getting it”. Well, I can’t tell you how to “get it”, but when you do, you’ll know. I know that I now “get it”, and this has made the Weight Watcher program both fun and easy for me. Actually, I don’t think of it as a program—it’s just the way I eat now.

Congratulate yourself just for being here. Don’t miss a single weekly meeting. Participate in the meetings. Talk to someone new. Try a new recipe every week. You’ll get through this forest. We’re all in this together!! And we’re here to back you up!!

LinzyD
12-03-2006, 01:37 AM
I used to get SOO overwhelmed when starting a diet that after a couple of days I'd just give up...but you know what? I CAN control myself for an hour, and that's how I'm going to do it-on hour (or leaf) at a time!
Linzy

shuggy
12-03-2006, 02:12 AM
you are so right! i can do anything for an hour. those hours eventually add up!!!

LinzyD
12-03-2006, 02:58 AM
But the one hour at a time thing is working for me...when I'm tempted I just think "one leaf, one leaf, one leaf"....we'll see if it can get me past that three day hump! I think if I can stick with it for a week, then I'm good.
Would you like to be the first person to receive the traveling book? I'd be happy to send it to ya! I love your idea of adding stuff too it! :nod: I think everyone will really enjoy the book-I lucked out and picked it up one day at Hastings on clearance for $1.99. The only reason I got it was b/c the cover has a giant peice of chocolate cake with devil horns coming out of it! The author came out with a second book as kinda a WL "how she did it book" but I haven't found it in the stores. I'll probably order it off of ebay. Anyways, if you want me to, I can send you the book on Mon!
Linzy

mydogstinks2
12-03-2006, 12:57 PM
looking at it as only 5 pounds at a time! What A great idea! What is the name of the book I would like to find it.

Inkyhands
12-03-2006, 06:28 PM
I agree with that. When I was only seeing 1 pound every week or so I was getting frustrated but now I have lost 22 lb.s and just cant believe I did it! :nod:
Plus go to the store and look and a 5 pound package of hamberger.....it looks alot different if you look at it that way!