PDA

View Full Version : Some COPIC Information

Sherry
02-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Ahh, those lovely Copic markers. As beautiful as they are, are they really worth the price?

I have been doing some research on Copic markers as I have, admittedly, been teetering on the fence. Do I purchase them or do I not purchase them? As most of you know, they are very highly praised among the stamping community and are now considered a "must have". But then again, so were the Prismacolor Pencils and the Prismacolor Markers. I've decided to be smart about this purchase as it is a HUGE investment so I have scouring the internet for some honest Copic Marker reviews. I have found a couple of reviews that are making me think that Copics are (from my point of view and not necessarily yours) probably not the way to go.

One review I would like to share with you (which you can read here (http://debneerman.blogspot.com/2008/01/copic-marker-prismacolor-pencil.html)) is from Paper, Ink, Scissors & Stamps. This artist took two identical images (stamped in the same ink on the same paper) and colored one with Copic Markers and colored the other with Prismacolor Pencils and Gamsol. And you know what? There is virtually no difference.

Here is the image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/debkneer/Public%20Blog%20Photos/CanYouTell2.png

So, for me, I probably won't purchase the Copics (although their selection of pastel colors is making me drool). But, for those of you who are considering purchasing the Copics, I have some exciting news for you!

I have made contact with our dear friend, Rusty, from Oozak - he's the super friendly gentleman who sells Dahle trimmers and gives us Shackies a discounted price. Anyhoo, he now sells Copic Markers (sets and individuals). I inquired about his individual markers (as they were out of stock) and this is what his email said:

Sherry,

Sorry for the delay! Nice to hear from you ;)

We are working on our orders now to stock all of the Copic individually. I would say it will be about a Month or so. We will have lots of cool options when it comes to building your own sets and as soon as I set those ideas in stone I will give the lowdown.

I have to say, we have been just hammered by stampers the last few months for Ciao markers – IT’S CRAZY! Naturally, when there is a craze like this, I have no stock ;)

We had another stamp forum call us as well, I think it was called Split Coast Stamp something another. I guess we are popping up on their site as well. You’re still my favorite ;)

For now, all I can say is ‘They’re coming’ and of course we will make some special deals for your members.

I will keep you posted.

Rusty

Did you get that? Rusty is going to give us a special deal on Copics too! How cool is this guy? I'll definitely keep you all posted.

In case you want those Copics now, Rusty has the Ciao 36 Sets - A, B, C & D (http://oozak.com/products.php?cat=34)in stock for just $106.65 - FREE SHIPPING TOO! His individual markers (which are currently on order) will be sold for just $2.96 each! If you do buy, tell him 'The Shack' sent you!

kimmyqtgirl
02-01-2008, 09:31 AM
WOW Sherry - Thanks,
And I can't believe the discount he is going to offer! That is so exciting. I keep teetering too, but I don't know if I am as strong as you - he he he. Thanks again

threefriends91
02-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Wow Sherry, That is a great deal..l've been thinking about these for sometime now, but it cost so much..l'll now have to take a closer look at these great prices.. Thanks

GrammaStamper
02-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I just got my Set A from Rusty, and need Set B. I think I'll wait until after my surgery now. His customer service is super fantastic, and he has a 100% rating on eBay. Great guy and eBay store.

His FREE SHIPPING is just for US orders, I believe. Me, I just have them sent to the border store and go pick them up, so it's good for me, a Canadian.

mydogstinks2
02-01-2008, 09:51 AM
That is great! I'm still not sure on them either. I do want a few colors like the grey that you can outline images with, I love that.

mahodgman
02-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Wow, Sherry, thanks so much for all your research! I too am on the fence about these expensive markers, but at $2.96 I might be tempted. My local craft stores sells them for $5.99 each...yikes! I haven't even bought one to try at that price. How cool that Rusty says you are his favorite too, that is quite a compliment considering how vast SCS is.

bazkets
02-01-2008, 09:57 AM
That $2.96 price tempts me too...maybe just a few greys and some flesh colors....

IMBlessed5
02-01-2008, 10:07 AM
$2.96 for singles is a great deal! I have no intentions of getting them but that is really nice of him to do that! (I like where he said the Shack is his favorite ;) heehee)

Mydog - I use Tombow markers. They carry several different shades of gray that can be used for outlining.

Vintagegal
02-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Sherry, for sharing the comparisons. Is the $2.96/marker for the Ciao fine tip markers or the Sketch markers (dual tip)?

There is no doubt that Prismacolor pencils are awesome, as are SU markers, Tombow, etc. etc. But I do think that each has their pluses and minuses.

For example, I love that you can make Prisma pencils subtle or vibrant, depending on your preference. I am not very good at blending prismas with my gamsol, hard as I try. With SU markers and Tombows, I'm not very good at watercoloring, so it's difficult for me to color with them. I try, but it has been more frustrating than productive, for me. I know practice makes perfect, but still....I struggle with them. I was hesitant, at first, with purchasing COPICs, but to be honest, after playing with the brush markers at the store, it was definitely 'love at first sight.' I didn't have to struggle with these as much as I do with my SU markers (especially with the 'lines' you get when you color a larger space). If I had discovered COPICs before SU markers or Tombows or even Prismacolor pencils, I would never have bought any of the latter three. Fortunately, I have only a handful of Tombows and only the 24-pencil set of the Prismacolor pencils (I didn't really 'dump' a ton of money into those). I do have a complete set of the SU markers from last year, and since I've made a huge investment into that, I will continue to attempt to use my SU markers. Fortunately, COPIC's can be purchased in my city with coupons. I am a member of Dick Blick art supply store, so I get a discount that way also. Otherwise, without the discounts, forget it. There's no way I can afford the COPIC at almost $6 per sketch marker.

Jovi
02-01-2008, 10:42 AM
UGH... Oh no, I'm really tempted! :swoon:

I may wait a little big longer since I just spent huge bucks for new HD saddlebags!

Jovi
02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Mydog - I use Tombow markers. They carry several different shades of gray that can be used for outlining.

Okay you know I must be totally dumb, because I NEVER thought to use my Tombow gray's for shading... I'm really embarrassed to admit that! :goofy:

moon_beam23
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Okay now I'm not sure what I want!!!!

IMBlessed5
02-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Okay you know I must be totally dumb, because I NEVER thought to use my Tombow gray's for shading... I'm really embarrassed to admit that!

:biglaugh: You're a hoot!

I use the Gray Tombow that's sold separately on page 120 of the TAC catty. I use it for both outlining (http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12923&ppuser=1798) and shading/ground (http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11178&ppuser=1798).

GrammaStamper
02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
[quote=Vintagegal;160917]Thanks, Sherry, for sharing the comparisons. Is the $2.96/marker for the Ciao fine tip markers or the Sketch markers (dual tip)?quote]

Ethel, the Ciao markers are dual tipped, also. And, refillable, too.

Vintagegal
02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Ethel, the Ciao markers are dual tipped, also. And, refillable, too.

Thanks, Barb. I'm going to research the difference between the two. The Sketch markers have a chisel tip on one end, and a brush tip on the other. I understand the Ciao markers have a fine tip on one end, but what kind of tip is on the other end? I'll google it in a second.

directmailscrapper
02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I just made up my Copic wish list -- and I only came up with 27 colors. Tee Hee! So let's see, at $3 a piece, that's $81. If I have to pay $4.75 each (which I've seen for the Sketch markers online), that's $128.25. Oh, well! I wonder how DH would feel about sending me Copics instead of flowers for Valentines Day!

Erin K
02-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Rusty ROCKS. I can't speak highly enough about him.

Seriously if anyone is considering getting anything from Oozark ever do it.

I love how he says "Split Coast Stamp something another". I mean I love SCS as much as the next girl but that really tickled me.

That's a great price on the markers.

mydogstinks2
02-01-2008, 07:02 PM

LMAO.... I have a grey Tombow!! I just never use them not sure why. I guess I need to get them out!! Thanks for the tip.

Paula Carden
02-01-2008, 07:37 PM
I think I will make a list too. Great price Sherry-thanks a bunch!