PDA

View Full Version : Question about Alcohol Inks

tojoco
12-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I finally found some alcohol inks at my Hobby Lobby yesterday and plan on making a few of the Christmas ornaments (if it's not too hard and they come out decent). Can alcohol ink be used on the lunch tins? Has anyone tried this? I think if they did it would make a nice presentation gift. :nod: :nod: :nod:

mahodgman
12-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I saw a lunch tin with alcohol inks. I'm not sure where, maybe 2peas? Give it a try! If it doesn't work out, you can always cover over with paper.

Far North
12-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Joanne so glad to hear you are going to join the fun of alcohol inks! Just take a little time to tap, tap, tap with several dots of ink and you will be fine.

Yes, I have done lunchboxes with alcohol ink and they are fast. I first do the tiny edging and next to all the metal work with q-tip and brush so I can blend any lines once I start tapping. It does NOT very much ink for covering a box. I used mod podge to add the flowers on this example I posted on 2 peas.
http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/pg.asp?cmd=display&layout_id=927536

Speak up if you have any specific questions--it is tons of fun. Be sure to post your results!...Jan

tojoco
12-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Jan, your lunch tin is absolutely gorgeous but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I've got to try the ornaments first. I guess I asked because I have a bare lunch tin sitting in front of me asking to be dressed. I may attempt it after the holidays or when things settle down a bit. Thanks for your input.

Far North
12-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Joanne-perhaps you will want to start with the inks on a flat surface such as white glossy cs or the bottom of the lunchpail working on glass can be hard to see what your doing...I often end up with a blank spot or two on the glass. Once I pour in the watered down glue and glitter-solid white spots show up. Now don't get me wrong some white spots are nice...but if it is a gapping hole...you can add the next layer over it. Don't be afraid to add some layers. Once your fingers are all inked up it is a great time to move onto that stark white lunchpail:nod: .
Happy stampin'...Jan

tojoco
12-03-2006, 03:30 PM
That's a good suggestion. I will practice on glossy cs first to get the "feel" of it. Should I have gotten the Tim Holtz "blender" also. I only bought 6 bottles of ink, the felt applicator and a package of replacement felt. Is the blender a big help?

inkinupstamps
12-03-2006, 03:40 PM
That's a good suggestion. I will practice on glossy cs first to get the "feel" of it. Should I have gotten the Tim Holtz "blender" also. I only bought 6 bottles of ink, the felt applicator and a package of replacement felt. Is the blender a big help?

Good question, Joanne. I want to know too! I've heard some people use the blender and some people don't. I don't have any blender so I'm eager to know too!:nod:

lost luggage
12-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Here (http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1069&limit=recent) are the ornaments I just whipped up! No blender, I liked the darker concentrate of each color. :)

Erin K
12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I use alcohol instead of the blender and it works. I know people like the blender though. The point is start playing even without having it. If you want more movement in your color then get it.

lost luggage
12-03-2006, 08:04 PM
I find that the blender (I tried the alcohol too) not only helps with movement, but it lightens the colors too. Thanks everyone for your nice comments on my balls!

mahodgman
12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm going to try the ornaments again myself. I bought some more clear balls and 3 new ink colors today! Everyone elses look so nice. I really don't like the way mine turned out at all! I am determined to master this product once and for all! I can't believe all the trouble I've had with it so far!

tojoco
12-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Oh Mary if you're having trouble making these ornaments what's going to happen to me? I'm going to try to attempt mine tomorrow and if they come out decent, I'll post them. Please post your second attempt.

mahodgman
12-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I think I'm going to give it another try tonight. I've got too much going on for the next 2 days, so if I don't do it now I won't get to it until at least Wed. I'll keep you posted!

mahodgman
12-04-2006, 09:05 AM
I finally had some sucess....yay! Here are the balls I did last night http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1089&limit=recent They really didn't take very long either. The trick is to tap, tap, tap. I think I was rubbing before and trying to catch the drips. This time I just kept tapping. Also I didnt' use any blending solution this time and used a lot more ink on the felt. I got much better colors this time.

emmcee
12-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Does A C Moore have these alcohol inks? Are they in bottles? I'm kind of slow but all your things that you ladies are creating are so gorgeous and I would like to try my hand at this. Thanks for the help. :cool: :confused:

keltie
12-04-2006, 02:17 PM
TOo nice not to give it a try. Do you put something inside the glass ball before you start/ heather