PDA

View Full Version : This may be a dumb question...

cindi
10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm looking for different ways to ink the edges of a project. I've used sponges before & crumpled up plastc wrap. Of course I've used the ink pad itself. Any other ideas???

lbakerc42
10-17-2006, 01:14 PM
I chalk a lot of my edges when I use things on a scrapbook page.

inkinupstamps
10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
You can emboss the edges. Just "ink" the edges with either versamark or with embossing ink and then sprinkle with embossing powder of your choice, tap off excess and heat. This takes a bit of time (and occasionally burned fingers) but it is really pretty.

Also, there are some wonderful metalic pens that edge beautifully. My favourite one to use also has a knife tip so that I can edge my paper in gold (or whatever colour you have) as well as trim. This pen is made called "Color Cutter" and it cuts as you draw.

Just a couple additional thoughts besides the ones mentioned above.

:)

tojoco
10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I have seen the color cutter at a demo and the demonstrator had a very hard time with it so I never bought it. Do you like using it and has it cut nicely for you?

inkinupstamps
10-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I have never had a problem with mine and, in fact, like it very much. I've heard a lot of people complain about them but I don't know why. Mine works very well, inks very well and as long as you are using a metal straight edge to guide you then it cuts very well too.

nsbirdy
10-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Always remember ... there are no dumb questions. If we don't ask, we don't learn. :)

lost luggage
10-17-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't like using my chalk. We have not "bonded". (I used to dread embossing, but now I love it)

You can emboss your edges if you use a ruler to line them with a versamark pen.. I like doing that this week...lol

Do you guys always use a sealant with your chalk? I find it gets all over my hands when I handle the paper...

stampcrazyjulie
10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Such great ideas! I had never thought to emboss the edges....I had better try that!

Kreative Dryve
10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
or a dumb idea.
The other day I used an old toothbrush to put ink on the edges of a card. It turned out to create a very soft look to the edges.:)

lost luggage
10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
That is a good idea......hhhmmmmm...... I love this thread!

lost luggage
10-17-2006, 04:27 PM
You can emboss the edges. Just "ink" the edges with either versamark or with embossing ink and then sprinkle with embossing powder of your choice, tap off excess and heat. This takes a bit of time (and occasionally burned fingers) but it is really pretty.

:)

SORRY! Sorry to step on you there...I flaked out and didn't see that you mentioned my idea already.. pardon me! :o How embarassing..

Erin K
10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I will sometimes take my versamark inkpad and use it to ink up the edges, just like with a colored one, then I take chalk and lightly dust over where I versamarked, it makes a very soft edging in any color I have chalk of. No fixative needed because the versamark acts as one.

I never use fixative anyhow, I just don't.

E

cindi
10-17-2006, 05:02 PM
these are all great ideas!! I'm happy I asked!

Alli
10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm another chalk hater. I use finger daubers or cut up car washing sponge when I want an aura effect. I also use Krylon pens for a gold, silver or copper edge.
I also like to doodle on the edges, or faux stitch, anything really to break up what seems acres of white (I tend to boringly stamp on white card). Or I like to use scallop punches and then stamp on the shape.
Sorry, I went a bit off topic, but once I start with ideas, I can't stop! :D

nsbirdy
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Hmmmm ... a toothbrush, eh? I am heading for my craft room to try that!

cecescraps
10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
little cat eye ink pads to do my edging. They are easier to handle than the big pads and I don't get ink where I don't want it. Never thought about the embossing- another new thing to try.

Cathi

teabear
10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
A friend just gave me a little brush that looks like a small shaving brush...it says Judikens color duster on it. I love that little guy. I tamp it on an inkpad and then on the edges of the card or image. It makes a nice soft effect. I've also used those cheapo foam brushes in the same way. I do all of this on an old phone book to catch all the mess. Then just tear off the page and have a new clean page for the next project.

cindi
10-17-2006, 07:03 PM
about the phone book!!!

lost luggage
10-17-2006, 07:41 PM
The phone book!!!! WOW! Much better than the paper from the printer. Mama mia that's a good idea!

inkinupstamps
10-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Tami that IS a fabulous idea about the telephone book! You are so imaginative and creative. I think I learn a new trick from you everyday!:)

bubblegum girl
10-17-2006, 09:21 PM
julie, to seal chalk spray it with hairspay once your project is done being chalked.

for my edging i do the foam and ink method, and direct to paper. i cant think of any others i've used but will post if i do.

Erin K
10-18-2006, 12:06 AM
ya know a phone book is a bit squishy too, it could be a great surface to stamp on... AND I have a friend who doesn't use a matt for setting eyelets, she just uses a phone book, I would think that might tear the paper, but she swears it works.

I have like 5 phone books each year.