PDA

View Full Version : Best color pencils

hutchink
02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Ok I have to say I am in love with this new color pencils I got... I think they are way better than Prismacolor pencils...yes I am saying that out loud!

The problem I have had with prismacolor pencils is that they break and break every time I sharpen them...making me mad with how much they cost!

So I read on a blog that these pencils were awesome...so I thought I will try them out..what the heck... they are KOH-I-NOOR (http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=3439&store=001)they are woodless...they blend awesome with OMS! They are a very creamy pencil!

Jovi
02-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Kim sorry to hear that you were having problems with your Prismas breaking.
That is wonderful that you found a pencil that works for you.
I can't believe how much inexpensive they are compared to Prismacolors. :cute:

1of2shoes
02-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Kim, that is blasphemy! However am I going to talk to you again? You dissed my Prismas?! I have to go sit down now. I am too broken up to carry on now.

haha! just kiddin'!! I'm glad you found something that works for you. I look forward to seeing what you create with these pencils.

MnMommy2
02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I have these and I do like them better than Prismacolors too! They are so smooth and they blend nicely too.

hutchink
02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
So sorry Debbie-

I am using them on my Fri-cake project!

Erin K
02-07-2008, 01:31 AM
I have those, and wrote about them on my blog! Was it MY blog you read??

I love them.

One thing is if you drop one it WILL break in half. I think with no wood they can just break more easily. I have a broken green, still works though. I need one of those pencil holder thingies for when one gets too short.

How many in your pack. I think I just have 24, but it's working so I'm not getting any more.

scrapsoon
02-07-2008, 05:51 AM
wauw they are verry cheap indeed comparing the other pencils.
But i'll stick to the derwentpencils i have.
When they are up i''ll look up to something new maybe.
Can't wait to see what you make with them,i do hope i remember this all.
Please let a note behind when you use your pencils:)i'm getting a bit older so i forgetting

threefriends91
02-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the link.. l can't believe the cost, and l need to buy some pencils now. Thanks.

moon_beam23
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
That is so cool! So if you don't need OMS how do you blend them?

logcabincreations
02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm behind on getting decent supplies....I'm still using Crayola. :swoon:

hutchink
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
They Blend awesome with OMS! The one thing is that they only come in 24 colors-

Light Yellow, Orange, White, Sap Green, Hookers Green, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Dark Violet, Light Vermilion, Carmine, Brown, Black, Dark Yellow, Pink, Scarlet Lake, Light Violet, Sky Blue, Paris Blue, Light Green, Dark Green, Light Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Natural Sepia, Light Gray.

Crafty Chelle
02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Hmmm...thanks for posting an alternative!

Erin K
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
That is so cool! So if you don't need OMS how do you blend them?

I don't have OMS anymore. I have the prismacolor blending pencil. It will blurr the edges between two colors but mostly I use it to help me with dreaded pencil line marks. It will smooth those out. It won't do the magic color pencil look though. I'm ok with that.

Because these pencils are creamier than the prismacolor they blend better for me. I mean just on their own. Like green into light green or whatever.

I'm not a fancy colored pencil artist though. :)

Canadian, eh
02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
I hear you re them breaking. Some are much smaller now that I had to resharpen over and over--before they were even used.

momto3plus1
02-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I am so sorry to hear you have problems with your prismacolors breaking..that stinks. I have only had one of mine break and that was further down the pencil when I was sharpening it, the outside cracked. Had some gorilla tape on hand, so taped it up and the pencil works great..LOL. I have looked at those colored pencils, in fact they were in my hands a Michael's Friday, but I wish they came in more colors. I am kinda hooked on my prisma colors for doing two shades of a color and blending them together. Thanks for the tip on them, maybe I will pick up a set next time I get to M's.

momto3plus1
02-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't have OMS anymore. I have the prismacolor blending pencil.

Have you ever tried the Lyra Rembrandt Splender blender? I like this one even better then the prismacolor blender, it is a smoother blender and not so much hard pressing to get it blend the colors.

Crafty Chelle
02-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Where do you get the Lyra Rembrandt Splender blender, please? TIA!

Mere Deaux
02-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Wow! the price is certainly right! I would have ordered them right now, but it appears someone has been telling everyone how nice they are.... So, now they are out of stock!! lol Thanks for the info. They will email when the pencils are back in stock.

patg
02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=hutchink;162788]Ok I have to say I am in love with this new color pencils I got... I think they are way better than Prismacolor pencils...yes I am saying that out loud!

The problem I have had with prismacolor pencils is that they break and break every time I sharpen them...making me mad with how much they cost!

Kim, I thought I was the only one having problems with my pencils breaking too everytime I sharpen them. I wonder if we both got a bad batch - hence I haven't used mine in a long time but would love to pick them up again.

good luck with these new pencils. Pat

lakeslady
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I just adore my Derwent pencils just like Scrap soon. But then I have to admit to an interest.:D You see they are made here in the Lake District UK and I have a wooden box complete with 72 pencils.........and I use them all. No I am not rich, I did not buy them.
I was very fortunate that the company made me a gift of them when I was teaching classes.:wideeyed: Of course it was a promotional thing, but who was I to compain at freebies. They really are excellent colouring mediums, and I have tried many.

tesschap
02-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I just adore my Derwent pencils just like Scrap soon. But then I have to admit to an interest.:D You see they are made here in the Lake District UK and I have a wooden box complete with 72 pencils.........and I use them all. No I am not rich, I did not buy them.
I was very fortunate that the company made me a gift of them when I was teaching classes.:wideeyed: Of course it was a promotional thing, but who was I to compain at freebies. They really are excellent colouring mediums, and I have tried many.

WOW - what a gift. That's terrific.

maxiesmom
02-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I had heard previously on another board once that these are very good quality pencils. Thanks for another review on them, I may need to go to Michael's this weekend.

lakeslady
02-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Just in case it helps, I know Dick Blicks in the USA carried Derwent pencils.

allinkdup
02-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I took class (non stamp related, gasp!) a few years ago and we were using prismacolor pencils.

The artist was telling us that if we have issues with the pencils to do the following:

When you are baking something in the oven...

Put your pencils on a cookie sheet, place it ON TOP of the stove so the heat from the cooking will soften the wax lead insdie the pencil.

Once the wax has softened, the lead/wax will "repair" itself.

Let the pencils sit for a day or so or you can put them in the freezer for a couple hours.

She assured us they would be like brand new. She said one of the reasons that the pencils keep breaking is that most likely they were dropped causing the lead/wax to fracture all the way inside the pencil.

I have tried this on a few colors and it reall works.

Just remember...DON'T put the pencils in the oven...this is coming from experience...LOL!

Crafty Chelle
02-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Great tip! Thanks :)

paulssandy
03-18-2008, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=hutchink;162788]Ok I have to say I am in love with this new color pencils I got... I think they are way better than Prismacolor pencils...yes I am saying that out loud!

Kim, I thought I was the only one having problems with my pencils breaking too everytime I sharpen them. I wonder if we both got a bad batch - hence I haven't used mine in a long time but would love to pick them up again.

good luck with these new pencils. Pat

I just ordered the 120ct set from TAC as a 1/2 price item. I have heard of the breakage problem on SCS, so did a search and found this on the Prismacolor site. HTH someone.

When I sharpen my colored pencils, the leads keep breaking. How can I prevent this?

When first getting your colored pencil set, it is best to sharpen all of your pencils and from then on, keep them sharpened. Since the "leads" are colored pigment in a wax base, care should be taken and one should not use excessive pressure or "force" when sharpening. Some members of the Colored Pencil Society of America (CPSA) suggest keeping your pencils extremely sharp. Using an electric sharpener quite frequently shaves off only a bit of wood each time (as compared to letting the pencil get extremely dull and then grinding it down about a half an inch).

Another suggestion is to use an electric sharpener initially and then afterwards, sharpen your pencil manually with a handheld sharpener. We offer a manual Prismacolor sharpener (item no.24188) for this purpose. Cosmetic sharpeners (the kind used for pencil eyeliner, for example) can also be effective. If you decide to use a hand sharpener, it is less stressful on the pencil to hold it vertically in the hand sharpener. Please note that the more common method of holding it horizontally with a natural wrist action causes stress on the colored core and thinner wood near the top.

If your pencil splinters when sharpening, evaluate the force you are using, how you are holding the pencil when sharpening and check that you are using a sharp sharpener. If a particular pencil is breaking, you may want to try a larger opening sharpener, which can be a little gentler.

paulssandy
03-18-2008, 07:18 AM
I took class (non stamp related, gasp!) a few years ago and we were using prismacolor pencils.

The artist was telling us that if we have issues with the pencils to do the following:

When you are baking something in the oven...

Put your pencils on a cookie sheet, place it ON TOP of the stove so the heat from the cooking will soften the wax lead insdie the pencil.

Once the wax has softened, the lead/wax will "repair" itself.

Let the pencils sit for a day or so or you can put them in the freezer for a couple hours.

She assured us they would be like brand new. She said one of the reasons that the pencils keep breaking is that most likely they were dropped causing the lead/wax to fracture all the way inside the pencil.

I have tried this on a few colors and it reall works.

Just remember...DON'T put the pencils in the oven...this is coming from experience...LOL!

This is a great tip. I wonder if doing this when you first get them (just in case) will prevent loosing any lead later on. Sounds like you tried this, did it work?
Sandy O

Nancy
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I have had my Prisma pencils for at least 5 years, I sharpen them in the pencil sharpner (electric) and have never had one break. I never stand them on end but they lay in a basket. They are only shorter because of using them. I never toss them like you do a regular pencil. So it surprises me when people say this. A friend of mine has them about an inch long now and says his have never broken. So I wonder if they are being made different someplace along the line. - Now watch I'll have one or two break!!!- Nancy

Gina K.
05-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Ok I have to say I am in love with this new color pencils I got... I think they are way better than Prismacolor pencils...yes I am saying that out loud!

So I read on a blog that these pencils were awesome...so I thought I will try them out..what the heck... they are KOH-I-NOOR (http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=3439&store=001)they are woodless...they blend awesome with OMS! They are a very creamy pencil!
I love these too! :)

MyRnAbS
05-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Subscribing! I'm getting me some!! ;) TFS!

Fief14
05-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I've heard that you can put the prisma pencils in the microwave for about 10 seconds or so to do the same thing as the oven when you have probs with them continually breaking. (Learned this at Shackapoloosa!)