PDA

View Full Version : I have Shingles!

MidwestStamper
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Anyone else had experience with this? It kind of runs on my Mom's side of the family, but this is the first time for me.

I had a very red eye starting on Monday, but it wasn't like pink eye (gooey etc--sorry). It didn't go away and then yesterday, I started getting kind of a rash around the eye area and into my scalp line. It sort of itches/stings, and my face felt swollen on that side.

Anyway, I did go to my Dr. today and that's what I have! She also had me go to the eye doctor there to be sure it wasn't in my eye also(occular shingles). But so far I'm OK.

So that was my day -- oh, yeah: I had a mamogram this morning too!

workin4stamps
02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Oh my goodness Lidia! That's awful. I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you start feeling better. Is there any chance it will spread to other areas of your body? I have never had this, but I've heard it can be painful. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

:-)
Traci

Swanie78
02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Yuck!
No personal experience with it, but when I was a teen my Aunt's aunt (follow that?) had them. She mostly had them around her torso, specifically on her rib cage. She was REALLY painful and spent most of the day sitting on the couch naked with a robe draped over her shoulders...lol (just the visual is funny, she was like 70 years old)
I hope yours stop there and that they heal up quick!

Patty
02-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Holy Cow!! It's a good thing you went to the doctor. The sooner you get the Rx the better. I had them once--It's connected to Chicken Pox--can be triggered by stress. They say the virus is always alive in your body in the nerves(the cp virus) and when something triggers it, you get shingles. I seem to remember reading that shingles never cross from left to right accross your body. In other words, you get them only on one side or the other. I hope your Rx gives you relief--keep us posted.

loobylou
02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Lidia, that sounds awful. My eyes are watering thinking about it.
Did they give you medication? I know there is one they can give if you catch it within 72 hours of your first symptoms.

My son has had shingles 3 times. He was exposed to the virus while growing inside me (I had chicken pox @18 weeks pregnant). His cases are mild, and itchy but not painful.

Praying for you to be healed soon.

MnMommy2
02-07-2008, 05:42 PM
oh no! I hope it passes quickly and you get to feeling better. I haven't had Shingles and I have never had the Chicken Pox either. I did get vaccinated for it after I had Morgan 3 years ago.

Nancy
02-07-2008, 06:06 PM
OH please don't scratch them either. They can be very painful and I do hope the doctor has helped you with some kind of medication. I had them around my waist long time ago. Just take care and do everything the drs. tell you. Nancy

teabear
02-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Make sure they give you a medication for it, some derivative of acyclovir. It really helps. So sorry you got them, they can be very painful.

1of2shoes
02-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I had shingles years ago. I had it on my right arm. It itched like the dickens! I think I was on some prednisone or something for it along with some creams. Good thing it's not in your eyes. OUCH!

directmailscrapper
02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Oh my heavens. Shingles! You've had enough on your plate! I've never had shingles, but I have heard that the earlier you get treated, the better you are. Hopefully you caught it soon enough that they will be short-lived. Feel better quick!

iloveflipflops
02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Oh no. Poor Lidia!! My DH just got a shingles vaccine yesterday. Can you take anything for the pain?

tojoco
02-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Lidia, I hope the medication works quickly for you. This is not a good thing to have.

Kreative Dryve
02-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Thats no fun at all.
Took care of several people with it.

I hope you get meds for the pain.

~Marie

cindi
02-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear this.
I hope the dr gave you meds so you will feel better soon.
hugs
:wubclub:

stampinmom3
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. I had a small patch of shingles on my rib cage a few years ago. They are painful, you poor thing. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Paula Carden
02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
You need antiviral drugs soon. I had shingles in Sept (not in my eye) - IT was one of the most painful things ever- I had antiviral drugs which shortened the misery along with sleeping meds and pain meds. Missed work off and on for 2 or 3 weeks. Yes it is related to Chicken Pox, if you never had Chicken Pox-can't get Shingles.
It can be contagious to people that have not had Chicken Pox or vaccine such as pregnant women.

There is also a vaccine for Shingles now- my husband ran to the doc to get his when I had Shingles-best 200 dollars he ever spent.
Pure misery-than you have the post shingles neuralgia it can go for awhile- get the antiviral drugs!!!
Lidia I hope you feel better soon!

GrammaStamper
02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Lidia, I hope you feel better soon. Shingles is very painful from what I've heard. I'm so sorry you have this. Is there medication for it?

mydogstinks2
02-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I think my Grandma used to get them. I remember she said that it hurt.

Best of luck

Vintagegal
02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh my word! I hope you get to feeling better, soon, Lidia. That doesn't sound good at all!

ccstampin12
02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Poor Lidia!
So sorry to hear this.
Hope you get cleared up very quickly!
HUGS
Joanie

MerryMimi
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Oh Lidia, just found this thread....so sorry to hear about your shingles! I've had them twice the last time in Oct07. It started on my cheek and they thought it was impentigo, poison ivy then shingles. Turns out I did have poison ivy at the same time, just came out in other places. I was off work for a week and just miserable. But if you can handle the pain, it sometimes takes weeks to go away. my eye swelled up like I'd been beaten and was quite the talk at work for weeks too. Praying you'll have a speedy recovery-Merry

MidwestStamper
02-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Oh boy, Merry! You sound like you were MUCH more miserable than I've been.

I must've started my medicine early enough so that I haven't had much pain--just an occasional 'zig' in the scalp. I've had more itchy/crawley feeling and my left eye is red and swollen.

ccstampin12
02-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey, LIDIA!!!
Glad you're not too bad at this point.
Hoping you continue to improve!
HUGS...from afar!
Joanie

My3Ds
02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Ouchie. My dm had them once and said they hurt, hurt, hurt. I hope you are not in too much pain and that they stay out of your eye. Take care.

spredbirds
02-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Lidia-

I am so sorry to hear about this .... remember they thought I had them at MOA ... it turned out not to be them or so they think ... still never knew what it was .... I sure hope yours gets better real soon!

logcabincreations
02-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Sending up prayers for a quick recovery.

patg
02-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh yikes Lidia! How awful. Does it hurt much? I heard that shingles are like a version of chicken pox. Sending warm wishes your way. Pat

threefriends91
02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
OMG, You have gone through so much,and now this.. You need a Hug and l'll pray for you too..

tesschap
02-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Oh no - how terrible. My mom had shingles on her back a few years ago. She's not one to complain very often but she was in such pain. I hope you are getting better.

Hugs,

iloveflipflops
02-13-2008, 04:00 PM
How are your shingles doing Lidia? Are they going away yet? How long does it last? Are you able to work?

Tantalize
02-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Yes, give us an update Lidia! Sorry I missed the original post.

directmailscrapper
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Lidia, how are you doing? I hope your twinges are few and far between!

stampcrazyjulie
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Ouch! I didn't know that you could get shingles on or near your eye area! I hope that it clears up soon for you....

I got shingles on the right side of my rib cage about 7 years ago. I was water skiing & crashed pretty hard into the water & ended up going to the ER thinking that I had broken a rib.....turns out it was shingles! The Dr. said it can harbor in your body and when you are stressed or hurt an area of your body it surfaces.....boy was it painful! I had thought at the time that only "old" people got shingles....LOL!

Glad to hear that you survived your mammogram too! :)

Julie

mjbonoan
11-09-2008, 01:30 AM
I just came across this post.... I don't remember having shingles, but I did have Chicken Pox as a child. Now a days (for the last four months) i suffer from Postherpetic Neuralgia (http://www.aftershingles.com/phn.html). Finally, the local nurse practitioner prescribed Neurontin and it has been a life saver. I can now function!!! BTW... I don't qualify for the vaccine, I'm not old enough. My mom on the other hand has suffered the same pain for about 10 years and our dr. will not prescribe anything. The vaccine for her is not covered by the insurance.

Paula Carden
11-09-2008, 07:52 AM
I had shingles a couple of years ago- You must get the antivirals-if started within the first 36 hours or so of symptoms-the meds drastically cut the course down.
Also for others in your household there is a Shingles vaccine- it is pricey about 200.00 but money well spent.
I took Vivrax and got it within the first 2-3 days of symptoms- my doc knew as soon as I got in what it was-the rash had not appeared yet but the symptoms were unbelivably painful.
My heart goes with you- don't be afraid to ask for pain meds- that is all that got me through the first couple of days. Thank God I didn't develop the long term nerve pain or the chronic shingles.

ccstampin12
11-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Good grief!
I'm so sorry to hear this!
Hope it clears up right away...and it's not IN your eye!
HUGS if it helps!
Joanie

My3Ds
11-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I hope this passes quickly for you. My dm had them years ago around her waist and she said they really hurt.

smileycollector
11-09-2008, 12:12 PM
So sorry to hear this Lidia. Yes, I had shingles about three years ago when I was in a very stressful job. {I still blame it on that $%#@! job too!} Anyway, mine was around my ribcage on the right side...itchy to start with and then very painful. Once I got meds, it cleared up quickly. Sorry, I don't remember what meds, but do go to the DR asap. You don't want to mess with it by your eyes! Take care now...

MidwestStamper
11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Well, I originally made this post in January, so I've been fine for awhile now. I had a pretty mild case and took some meds right away. Don't remember what they were, but they worked quickly.

Kreative Dryve
11-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I have taken care of many patients over the years with shingles, and they are painful.
Never seen them on a patients face though, mostly around the ribs.

Just an FYI ladies, there is a shingles vaccine you can get.
It doesn't take away the whole thing to come back, but lessens the symptoms
you do get. Might be worth it in the long run. JMO