PDA

View Full Version : Coloring help!

suzi_f
02-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I just ordered all the SU markers. Did I make a huge mistake??? I really wanted to be able to color on the stamps themselves to make like stems green & flowers pink. I also wanted to use them to watercolor with. This video (http://chicnscratch.typepad.com/stampinacademy/2008/02/aqua-painter-te.html) shows her coloring w/her ink pads (which I HAVE done before) and she says she almost never uses her pens anymore. I've never had much luck squeezing the pads to get the ink on the lid. And when I do, my colors don't come out very smooth. I was thinking when I had the pens, I could color on a plastic surface (MM Paint palettes for instance) pick up the color there & then color in my images. Did I waste my $$$ Should I have just kept trying the ink pad technique? Am I going to regret not using the $$$ for copics? (I HATE to color w/markers but, maybe I hate it is 'cause I don't have the "right" markers/??)

iloveflipflops
02-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Here is my take on it (for what its worth). I have the whole set of SU markers and have had them for about 2 years. I use them EVERY SINGLE DAY and they are worth every penny. I love how they match the SU cardstock and it is super easy to color part of the stamp one color and part of the stamp another color using the markers.

I still do not "get" the Copic markers and until someone can physically show me how my ink will not run - I will NOT be investing in these markers. I have used ALMOST every ink known to man and it still bleeds so i have no idea what i am doing but it has gotten me totally frustrated with Copics and I have given up....

So I say WOO HOO for the SU markers. I love mine!!! Just make sure you store them in their case with the handle up so they are on their sides (I bet you already know that!)

suzi_f
02-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you. I spent a fortune on the dang things & didn't want to regret it so soon!!

shurlyjean
02-10-2008, 07:24 PM
You can pull off the color with a wetpaint brush.

I would love to have the whole set, but am cheap.. I have 2 plus a bunch of others.... I like the SU markers the best.

Shriley

dreis1
02-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I also have the whole set of SU markers, and in my opinion they are the best on the market. I love being able to match the ink with cardstock as Sherri said. I like that the colors are true to what it shows on the cap. I bought some Marvy markers, a yellow one in fact, and went to color the sun, and the ink was lime green. That convinced me that I needed SU markers. Well worth the money. Also did you know that you can take their reinkers and refill a marker when it goes dry. Take a pair of tweezers and pull out the felt tip, place 2-3 drops of reinkers in the barrel, replace the felt tip and you are good for another round. I have found that after that second refill, the tip is about done as far as getting a fine line of color. I wish they sold tip refills. Glinda

suzi_f
02-10-2008, 08:41 PM
What a cool idea, refilling them. Now, I guess I have to buy all the refills??? LOL I hope I'm happy with them. Only once a year, at SAB time, do I spend so much at once. I don't have a stamp budget, just whatever I can convince dh I "need". I thought I wanted them after all my stampin' buddies got them. By the time SAB rolled around, I almost convinced myself that I didn't need them (have gotten along this long w/o them) but knew that I wouldn't be able to buy them until next SAB so.... I'm sure I'll love them when I get them.

Do y'all use them to color in images? I don't like how bright markers are. I prefer watercoloring & colored pencils.

dreis1
02-10-2008, 10:31 PM
It depends on the image I am using. Sometimes I want a softer look and use my pencils or chalks, other times, I like the look the marker gives me. Glinda

loobylou
02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Suzi, you can scribble the markers on a plastic CD case, then pick up the colour on a waterbrush. This works really well to achieve a watercolour look.

Dibby
02-11-2008, 01:01 AM
you can also refill your markers by just putting a drop or two of reinker in a little bottle & the standing the marker in it & it will suck up the ink.

threefriends91
02-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Thanks ladies for all the info, l just don't have the money for those other markers.. So l was going to order the Stampin Up set..Sherri so glad you shared with us..it had helped me to decide getting the Stamin Up set..Thanks everyone..

tesschap
02-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I have one set of SU markers and love them. I always wanted to invest in the remaining sets but haven't - yet anyway. I recently jumped on the Copic bandwagon and joined Gina K's Copic Marker club. I get six markers from Color Set A each month for six months. It costs me $25.00, which includes tax and shipping. At the end of six months I'll have a complete set but I won't feel like I blew a ton of money. So far I've received my January & February markers. Last night I played with my Copics a little. I do love them - the paper doesn't pill, my colors didn't bleed, etc. That being said I also love the set of SU markers that I do have but I will use them differently. You can't ink your stamps with Copics as they dry too quickly and it is awesome to have all of the color coordination that SU has to offer. You made a good decision but don't totally rule out Copics. Do give them a try if you get the opportunity :)

moon_beam23
02-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I have them all and love! Especially to use on the stamps for coloring different things different colors.

Gina K.
02-14-2008, 01:46 AM
I just ordered all the SU markers. Did I make a huge mistake??? I really wanted to be able to color on the stamps themselves to make like stems green & flowers pink. I also wanted to use them to watercolor with. This video (http://chicnscratch.typepad.com/stampinacademy/2008/02/aqua-painter-te.html) shows her coloring w/her ink pads (which I HAVE done before) and she says she almost never uses her pens anymore. I've never had much luck squeezing the pads to get the ink on the lid. And when I do, my colors don't come out very smooth. I was thinking when I had the pens, I could color on a plastic surface (MM Paint palettes for instance) pick up the color there & then color in my images. Did I waste my $$$ Should I have just kept trying the ink pad technique? Am I going to regret not using the $$$ for copics? (I HATE to color w/markers but, maybe I hate it is 'cause I don't have the "right" markers/??)

Suzi,
There are so many things you can do with your SU markers that you can't do with the ink pads. One example is coloring directly on the stamp. That is very important when you are trying to do a multi-colored image but not a line art image.

There is also thumping, where you ink up your stamp with a lighter color ink pad and then tap the marker all over it to get a multi-colored look.

SU markers or any waterbased markers are great to have and you will use them a lot. Don't regret it. OH!! AND, you can scribble your SU markers on the top of an SU stamp box and do the technique that you saw in the video by picking up the marker color instead of using ink pad. :)

You're in great shape!

Hugs,
Gina K.

balletnurse
02-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I, too, LOVE my SU marker set. I use them all of the time. I have never owned Prismacolor or Copics, so I don't have a whole lot to compare to. If I am watercoloring or want a softer look, my favorite technique is to squeeze a SU ink pad together so that there is a little bit of ink in the cap of the ink pad. Then I use a blender pen to pick up a bit of ink and color in my image. I love that look.

suzi_f
02-14-2008, 10:01 AM
You're in great shape!

Hugs,
Gina K.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll love them when I get them. Just buyers remorse. When they are here & I'm playing w/them, I'll be fine. Thanks for the "thumping" technique. Never heard of that before & I can't wait to try it!!

And, no I'm NOT in great shape & haven't been on the tredmill for WEEKS!!! Need to get working on it. Vacation is just 3.5 months away!!!