PDA

View Full Version : ATC swap please help

threefriends91
02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
l'm in the ATC swap for Birds, l made one card with a study on bird feathers, and l added a bird feather on my card..Sarah brought up a good point, she is not sure they will let the card into the USA , or Australia with a feather on it.
l have a Xyron machine and was wondering if l could use the two sided lamination on these..l'm not sure this is only my 2nd ATC swap..
Can l laminat a ATC card?.. or do l need to start over? The good news is l have only made one, The bad news is l really like this one..
Please help..What should l do..

iloveflipflops
02-14-2008, 09:07 AM
How will the post office know if it has a bird feather on it?

Vintagegal
02-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Are you placing the card INSIDE an envelope? If you're doing this, then I think you'll be OK. What kind of bird feather is it?

I don't know what the rules are for feathers "OFF" a bird, not on a "LIVE" bird, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be allowed into the US.

emmcee
02-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't worry about the feather and just keep on with your ATC's. Did you find the feather on the ground or buy a bag of feathers at the store? I didn't know there were rules about feathers. Hmmmm.

loobylou
02-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Cathy, if the USA girls think theirs would be O.k. just pull the feather off of mine.
Here's the rules from Australian Customs and quarantine
What can't be mailed to Australia?
souvenirs, artefacts and goods made of animal products such as raw hide, feathers, teeth and bones
I hope you don't think i am being picky, but I would be devastated to have the whole package confiscated and lose all my swaps. I get my mail opened and inspected regularly here.
I had to change my owl ATC's because it was agreed when i asked about putting a twig on my ATCs
Someone linked to the US customs rules. I'll add them here

Here's a LINK (http://stamp-shack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18565&highlight=twig) to the thread about quarantine restictions. Joanne posted a link to the US restrictions and it does state about half way down in the fishing and wildlife heading that a permit may be needed. Of course i am just being overcautious because I value your artwork so much and would hate to lose them.

tesschap
02-14-2008, 09:27 AM
I know there are strict rules about bringing feathers into the US as they are regulated by the 'Fish & Wildlife Department'. I have several customers that import feathers to use in tying 'fly fishing lures'. That being said - I doubt that a postal inspector is going to open your package at random just to check for feathers.

MidwestStamper
02-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Is it a real or synthetic feather? Aren't those feathers that we buy in the craft stores fake? The ones that are yellow, pink, blue etc. I may be wrong there, but I always thought they were.

threefriends91
02-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Is it a real or synthetic feather? Aren't those feathers that we buy in the craft stores fake? The ones that are yellow, pink, blue etc. I may be wrong there, but I always thought they were.
The fathers that l bought are real..l think l'll just buy a father stamp and go with that.

threefriends91
02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks Sarah, l don't want to do anything that would be wrong..Your idea of a father stamp sounds like it would be best, or maybe l'll come up with a new idea..Thanks for the link.

emmcee
02-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I knew there were some kind of regulations about different things but I just would never think of applying some of those regulations to our stamped products. I need to read up on some of these animal/wildlife/plant regulations.

ellie
02-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I have no clue but at our po they ask, "Is there anything hazardous, liquid, perishable?" They never open the envelope.