PDA

View Full Version : Why is this sentiment funny???

loobylou
02-22-2008, 08:13 AM
I got a RAK of some really funny sentiments today from ErinK, but there is one i don't get...can someone please explain to a clueless Aussie

"You know you're old when...
your birthday cake looks like baked alaska"

What am i missing people???

Christie
02-22-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm clueless to this one too. Hope someone can help us two clueless gals out!

mahodgman
02-22-2008, 08:26 AM
I think it means there are so many candles on it (the number of candles corresponds to your years) it has burned the cake. I'm guessing here becuase I really don't know what baked alaska looks like....lol

emmcee
02-22-2008, 08:30 AM
I think it means because so many candles on the cake, and baked alaska is a dessert that is lit with fire, like cherries jubilee. But I have never eaten baked alaska so I don't know what it looks like only that it needs to have some fire to make everyone go "ooh" and "aah" when the chef lights it. Well, I guess that's more than what you asked!!

graciez
02-22-2008, 08:32 AM
I think it means that the baked meringue on the top kind of flows down like wrinkles. You know how it looks layered? Am I making any sense at all? lol...g

ccstampin12
02-22-2008, 08:35 AM
I would have said what Mary said...too many candles so they melted down into the frosting!
LOL
Guess you have to be "Older" to understand this....and I've never had baked Alaska either!
Joanie

loobylou
02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Where is GinaK when we need her?
Gina, please enlighten us on this sentiment of yours. I think I must be missing something- maybe it's cultural?

mahodgman
02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I think we need a "who has had baked alaska" poll. LOL

My3Ds
02-22-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm thinking reference to the number of candles. Baked Alaska is set aflame before serving. If your bithday candles are lit and it pretty much looks like the baked Alaska when it's on fire it means that there are a lot of candles on the cake. Alot of candles = OLD. HTH

iloveflipflops
02-22-2008, 08:46 AM
I have had baked alaska on a cruise once. Its delish!!! LOL

tesschap
02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
I never have had Baked Alaska but I was thinking it's the 'so many candles' idea. I have the stamp set though!

Here's some info on Baked Alaska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baked_Alaska) and a recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_16151,00.html)

loobylou
02-22-2008, 08:51 AM
O.K., so the icecream under the meringue melts from the candles- like a cake with soooo many candles would melt...am i getting there?

directmailscrapper
02-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Yep, Baked Alaska is a flaming dessert (alcohol set on fire). So I guess this means that the candles make the entire cake look like it's on fire!

loobylou
02-22-2008, 08:53 AM
so, if you got a card with this sentiment would you laugh? - or say "what the?"
I'm thinking it is hard work!

threefriends91
02-22-2008, 09:08 AM
l don't think l would use this sentiment..it might work if the sentiment was on the front of the card and a cut out or a picture pop-up of a baked Alaska cake on the inside..LOL

ccstampin12
02-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I'd laugh!
LOL
Joanie

graciez
02-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I've had baked Alaska and there are no candles on it.

Alcohol is poured on the meringue that is on the ice cream that may or may not be on cake. The alcohol is lit with a flame and the whole dessert top goes up in flames.

But, I think the "wrinkles" that I am thinking of comes from the meringue that is folded down the dessert. It was like a mound....they shut off the lights and brought the Alaskan in and it was spectacular...it was a wedding.

Christie
02-22-2008, 09:12 AM
I've had baked Alaska and there are no candles on it.

Alcohol is poured on the meringue that is on the ice cream that may or may not be on cake. The alcohol is lit with a flame and the whole dessert top goes up in flames.

But, I think the "wrinkles" that I am thinking of comes from the meringue that is folded down the dessert. It was like a mound....they shut off the lights and brought the Alaskan in and it was spectacular...it was a wedding.

Well then I guess the sentiment would mean that there are so many candles on the cake that it would go up in flames like a baked alaska.

Nancy
02-22-2008, 09:23 AM
f these are the old people cards, I really find them insulting. I TOO
made cracks and things about old people when I was young now that I am old, I dont do that anymore and as I said some other old people I know don't like them either. - Nancy

Gina K.
02-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Baked Alaska is a dessert that is set on fire and the entire top of the cake is burning when it is brought to the table. I mean FIRE! Then, of course, the fire goes out before you eat it.

When we were on a Stampin' Up cruise, we were served baked Alaska one night and my then 7 year old daughter whispered to me, "That cake looks like Pop-pop's birthday cake." I about fell on the floor.

My Dad, who is 88 years old and spent his life working as a stand up comedian helped me design this stamp set. He is a firm believer that the best thing in life is a sense of humor. I couldn't agree more. BTW, I am a 38 long. LOL!

Hugs,
Gina K.

Christie
02-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Baked Alaska is a dessert that is set on fire and the entire top of the cake is burning when it is brought to the table. I mean FIRE! Then, of course, the fire goes out before you eat it.

When we were on a Stampin' Up cruise, we were served baked Alaska one night and my then 7 year old daughter whispered to me, "That cake looks like Pop-pop's birthday cake." I about fell on the floor.

My Dad, who is 88 years old and spent his life working as a stand up comedian helped me design this stamp set. He is a firm believer that the best thing in life is a sense of humor. I couldn't agree more. BTW, I am a 38 long. LOL!

Hugs,
Gina K.

Well this explains it all!!!!!! Thanks for the story behind the stamp!

loobylou
02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
thanks so much for coming to my rescue Gina- glad you took the time to come and answer

keltie
02-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I had it on a cruise as well. It's has ice cream with a merange on top. it is put in the oven for a short time to brown the topping. I wonder if they put it in the oven and said they were "aging' it . I have a friend who makes it once in awhile. The neat part is the ice cream doesn't melt and still tastes cold. Heather

Gina K.
02-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I had it on a cruise as well. It's has ice cream with a merange on top. it is put in the oven for a short time to brown the topping. I wonder if they put it in the oven and said they were "aging' it . I have a friend who makes it once in awhile. The neat part is the ice cream doesn't melt and still tastes cold. Heather

I hadn't thought of that! LOL! I was only thinking about those flames. Every year on my Mom or Dad's birthday, one of them says something funny about getting the fire department on the phone, just in case. LOL!

I love the fact that my Mom and Dad laugh about the perils of aging. I believe that I will have the choice in life- to laugh off what I can't change, or be angry about.:skeptical: I'd rather laugh. Smiles lines are prettier than frown lines. :spinny:

Glad my stamps gave some of you a chuckle. It's the number one selling stamp set in our inventory! Looks like a lot of you like a good laugh now and then.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Kreative Dryve
02-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I love that sentiment, it's funny!
~Marie

Erin K
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
has anyone had baked alaska NOT on a cruise. I've had it on cruises too, but never in "real life"

ellie
02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Baked Alaska comes to the table in flames...I guess that's why!

MidwestStamper
02-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I remember making Baked Alaska in Home Ec class in High School as a dessert for a whole meal that we made. It was neat because of the cold ice cream inside (which I think is usually Neopolitan ice cream?) covered by the light crispy (from the flames) merengue(sp?) over the top of it. The flames are dramatic. It is a little work to prepare and serve it, so it's usually for special occasions.

This type of saying/card is something my best friend and I would exchange with each other. We're only 6 months apart in age, and both of us are hitting the Big 5-0 so we feel comfortable teasing each other about aging. I guess I wouldn't send this to just anyone--I'd have to feel pretty comfortable with the person to know that they wouldn't feel offended! LOL!

maxiesmom
02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
:sad: Not on our cruise nor aywhere else! I wanna try some Baked Alaska!!

cute story behind the sentiment!

cindi
02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
and i got itright away...but you know I have a warped sense of humer! it's one of the things I like most about me!
:)

Gina K.
02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
f these are the old people cards, I really find them insulting. I TOO
made cracks and things about old people when I was young now that I am old, I dont do that anymore and as I said some other old people I know don't like them either. - Nancy

That's okay Nancy, they're not for everyone. :)