PDA

View Full Version : From Sydney Australia to Reno Nevada

ctinyjoy
02-25-2008, 08:13 AM
OK a little background will be needed. In my job as City Clerk I belong to the Intl. Institute of Municipal Clerks. Each year we have an annual conference and they try to move it around to the different areas. Well two years ago they awarded the 2010 conference site to Sydney Australia :D. Well as time progressed many clerks were saying they wouldn't go because of the cost of airfare. So they considered changing it to the UK. I was still hyped, not as much as Sydney, but still thought the conference would be fun. Well today an email is waiting for me that says the details couldn't be worked out with the UK and the alternate site of Reno was chosen. Don't get me wrong, Reno is a very nice city and I have never been there, but you have to agree with me that Sydney or the UK would have been really cool to visit:jiggy:

oh well....btw this year's conference is in Atlanta, Ga. At least I can visit with my sister when I go in May. She lives about 20 miles outside of the city.

tesschap
02-25-2008, 08:36 AM
What a bummer. I've never been to Reno and I'm sure it will be nice but a business trip to Australia would be unbelievable! Darn!

mahodgman
02-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I haven't been to Reno in many years, but I think I like it better than Las Vegas. Vegas is just too crazy busy for me! I remember Reno as a little more laid back. Have a good time!

stampcrazyjulie
02-25-2008, 11:08 AM
What a bummer for you! I too agree that it would have been nice to go overseas somewhere! :)

I grew up in Reno until I was almost 13. My Parents didn't think that it was a good place to raise 2 Teenage Girls, so they moved our Family to Salt Lake City. I still have a Neice who lives there, but I haven't ever been back.....I do remember driving up to Lake Tahoe, Carson City and Virginia City a lot. Maybe you will be able to sightsee some.......

Christie
02-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I do agree that visiting another country would of been cool. Too bad they coudlnt help with the airfair so that more people could of gone!

moon_beam23
02-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Syndey would have been much better than Reno!

Firecracker
02-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I totally agree! Sydney would have been much more fun. Hugs, Heather

cindi
02-25-2008, 02:21 PM
wrong with Reno, but...
but I must admit it's a bit of a let down from Sydney ot the uK!!
oh well, have fun anyways
:)

loobylou
02-25-2008, 04:46 PM
It's a shame they crossed an international destination off the list/ Maybe they will do it um the future if enough people request it.

Vintagegal
02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
There's no comparison. Sydney.....London...... either would have been an awesome city to visit. Reno? What?

That's like saying we're going to have prime rib for dinner, but then later change the menu to a McDonald's cheeseburger. No offense to those from Reno......but I can see why one would be disappointed to not be able to go to the UK or to Sydney.