PDA

View Full Version : Are you a keeper or do you throw it away

Erin K
12-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Me, I throw it away. I have a box for handmade cards, and a single hatbox of childhood stuff. I love tossing stuff out, It makes me feel good to get rid of junk. Brian hates to throw stuff away. Anyhow the boys have accumulated tons and tons of toys and other stuff that's not really toys but we let them play with. Anyhow this junk is taking over so today I threw out bags and bags of it. Brian is freaking out! First of all he couldn't do it himself, so I took over and he's digging stuff back out and saying, "Don't they like this tiny heart pillow, don't you still want this half used pencil, doesn't this marker still have some life in it? Can't we use this paperclip again..." I had to kick him out!

so how bout you, are you a packrat?

suzi_f
12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
PACK RAT!!! I can't throw out anything! In fact, I have 3 tamborines (sp?) from my bro's wedding this summer. We have absolutely NO use for them (don't plan on starting a gospel band anytime soon either) but, I can't toss them. What if I need them sometime?

inkypingers
12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
You sound just like my dh and I! We moved last year at this time and the whole garage was FULL of all the stuff we had in a storage unit and it was driving me crazy and then that same winter I filled up this trailer and hauled alot of it to the warehouse we have at our church cuz' they have a big rummage sale a couple times a year and my dh was like yours, "Freaking out." But now it seems I am the one freaking out when I will ask him where something is and he says, "Remember U got rid of it!!!!!!" I am constantly putting things in a resale shop by us too, get 1/2 of the sale and think it's a pretty good deal compared to what I'd have to do to get a garage sale together...I am with you Erin, when in doubt, throw it out! :nod:

stampcrazyjulie
12-04-2006, 11:46 PM
LOL! Yes, I am the Packrat! My DH has to do all of the weeding out of stuff when I am not at Home and on trash day! :) I am working on it though...Last month I gave away 4 Garbage Bags of Baby Clothes & stuff from DD #1 who is almost 7. It felt so good to purge, but at the same time I was like, NO, I can't do it! As for the Toys, that's another story. We have a huge Family Room that we don't use that is a play room. There are so many toys that I can't bear to throw away. I told my DH & Kids that we have to go through them before Christmas & take at least 3 Bags to the Shelter or Goodwill.

One of my New Year's Resolutions is that I have to start throwing some stuff away or doing something with all of the stuff that I am not using...like if I buy something, then something has to go to make room!

It is such a vicious cycle for me!
:biglaugh:

mydogstinks2
12-04-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm the PACK RAT!! I never throw anything away! I keep stuff forever, or until I get to that point where I need more room then I throw it out, but then I will buy it again so the circle just starts over!

iloveflipflops
12-05-2006, 06:11 AM
I am definitely a "throw away gal". I do not keep anything and then sometimes think "Oh why did i throw that away?" ha ha

Great question Erin!

inkinupstamps
12-05-2006, 06:19 AM
I get rid of stuff! And yes, occasionally I find I might regret having "tossed" something, but I just do it. Must have been a result of moving so many times in my life!

My DH is the opposite. He doesn't toss a thing. "You might never know when I will need this" he'd say.

Well, I have news for him...I toss his stuff too!:biglaugh:

moosemama
12-05-2006, 06:45 AM
I used to be a pack rat, but have started tossing things in the past few years, but not usually craft stuff!
moosemama

GrammaStamper
12-05-2006, 07:30 AM
I'm a tosser! Don't like to keep stuff that hasn't been used in 6 months or more. Then, like most, that's what I want so I go buy it again. It's my way of keeping the economy from the brink of disaster! LOL! Oh, never throw out craft stuff, though! That would cause me great pain.

ccstampin'
12-05-2006, 07:48 AM
to throw away stuff!DH admits he has that hording disorder, but no help for it has been sought!!!:biglaugh: He loves everything....newspapers, paper napkins, and "real" items.
I tend to keep all my magazines....
All craft related items...but I have gotten rid of quite a few things for our LSS garage sale.:wub:
Nostalgic items are an issue for me...so anything that had to do with my Mom are very difficult to part with...she died when I was in my early 20's.

Spartymom
12-05-2006, 08:25 AM
I will pick up any loose papers laying around and pitch those. When I clean the girls room, I will neatly organize their stuff and it looks much cleaner. The girls have had egg containers that they keep treasures in. Well, they have gotten pitched and did anyone notice? Also, all the little toys (from restaurants, etc) get pitched after awhile. Kim

emmcee
12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Packrat here! My DH is just as bad, my DD on the other hand throws stuff away :confused: She must have a gene disorder :biglaugh: But sometimes when my moon isn't completely lined up with my stars, I do some major throwing away. :mask:

Spartymom
12-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I was emptying out the trash in the office when DD came in and saw her egg carton! She pulled it out and said I couldn't throw that away. she then left, and I put it in the trash bag! Yikes. Kids are smart. Kim

laos348
12-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I am totally a keeper! Usually once it starts taking over the house, I give in and get rid of some stuff but I do so under protest!

Laura

workin4stamps
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
oh wow! I am definitely a tosser!!! I am not a packrat at all!!! My husband is the same as me, thank goodness! we go through our closets like twice a year and get rid of anything that we haven't worn in a while. Now I am kicking myself, because a lot of my clothes are getting too big, and I didn't save hardly any of my skinnier clothes!! Oh well! New clothes for me I guess.

I keep photo boxes that I keep swap cards and stuff like that in. Every once in a while I go through my crafting supplies and give stuff to a friend who has a brownie troop OR to another friend whose daughter likes to stamp. My stamp room is only 7x10, so not a lot of room there to grow!! If I get something new, I have to make room for it!

My household stuff.....I go through rooms every now and then and pack up knick knacks or what nots that I'm sick of looking at and take them to goodwill!!!

:-)
Traci

mcourtney
12-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Serious Pack Rat here. Why just last year I finally threw away the cancelled checks from my first checking account I opened when I was 18 (I'm 53 now). Is that sad or what? Good thing my DH is a pack rat too! We're always finding fun treasures when we're rooting through boxes because we just know we have whatever it is we need somewhere. :eek:

Christie
12-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I think I'm somewhere in between. I like to keep stuff but if I haven't used it in a certain period of time then I throw it out. Now my dbf is a pack rat. He keeps all of the magazines he gets in the mail. He has about 10 boxes of magazines, that we had to move TWICE, when we moved. I wish I could throw those things out!

shuggy
12-05-2006, 01:48 PM
i'm a packrat...just look in my craft room!!

Jadyeebugsaunt
12-05-2006, 01:58 PM
I do both , I'm mostly a pack rat but when i clean out a throw away everything! Im getting into the tossing mood right now.

directmailscrapper
12-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Or was it 1986?

We have TOO MUCH STUFF! In my house, STUFF is becoming a 4-letter word. We try -- but we aren't good at getting rid of stuff!

Nancy

treeclimber
12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I am a packrat. But I have occasional moments where I toss everything in sight...well, OK, not everything. But the "junk" I save with hopes of reusing/altering... if I haven't done it in 6 months, it's outta here! OK, OK, a year! Is there a 12-step program for this? Not that I would go... what if I need something I haven't looked at since the 3rd grade? :eek:

I am always looking for better ways to store my excess stuff though... so I guess it's not all bad. I mean as long as I know where it is, I can keep it right? :cute:

Deb :D

holly
12-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Pack rat here! I try to get rid of stuff, but it's very difficult. What if I need it and to prove that point the times I did get rid of things I needed them just a few months later.

On Saturday I was cleaning out the hall closet and I came across a stroller in the corner. I took it out, stared at it and dh passed by and said, omg we still have that? Get rid of it. I said, what if we need it? He said they're 5&7!? I said I know, but...but...grasping at straws...what if one breaks a leg or something and we need to push him around in something?? He just rolled his eyes and walked away. I thought a few more minutes that he was right...and then I put it back in the back the closet. lol

smkymtsu
12-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I throw it out......my husband pulls it out of the garbage. My kids always say that if it weren't for me their father would be buried in junk. I just have to find a way to keep him out of the garbage!
Susan

tojoco
12-05-2006, 09:24 PM
I am not a keeper. I ditto everything Traci has said. I go through closets and drawers and start chucking things. I hate clutter. People have me if I save sentimental items and I say no way. Whatever is sentimental to me is a memory that I will always remember. I don't need material things to help me remember.