PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss salad dressings ... this is always so hard

iloveflipflops
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
as alot of the ones I love are way too many points and its just not worth it so I am on a search for a great, not just ok, but a great salad dressing. Store bought is fine or home made, as long as its low in calories, low in fat and tastes great.

Right now i have been using Paul Newman's Light Balsamic Vinaigrette. Its only 1 point per 2 tablespoons so its very low in the points and it does taste great but I am getting tired of it and want something new ...

So what salad dressing do you like?

Jadyeebugsaunt
12-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Sherri,
I can't help you with the points but a while back ago , my sodium was high ( I don't eat extra added salt on foods) so my dr and I couldn't figure out why it was so high. Anyways after a bit he asked me if I eat alot of salads with dressing and asked how I apply it to the salad , I was like "I pour it how else ?" he told me that alot of dressings are high soduim and fat and if I put it in a bowl and take a fork and drizzle it over the salad as I eat it , it may help I tried that and in about 3 months my soduim was normal. I'm not sure it would work w the points but it might.

Erin K
12-05-2006, 10:42 AM
When I was in WW and going to meetings there was a recipe about making dressing with orange juice and oil and vinegar I think.. there was more to it, but anyhow it was pretty good.

I'd get any of the fruit based ones, rasberry especially.

My fav is blue cheese though so I'm in trouble! I just get a tiny bit and do that fork thing, dip the fork in the dressing then stab your salad. I like all sorts of stuff in my salad and don't really see a salad as a low point dish for me.

nickynicole4
12-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I forget who makes them I think it is Kraft but I think that I am wrong on that but anyway they are only 1 calorie per spray. That is great because you actually get a lot with one spray. I usually spray 5 times and that seems to be enough if not one or two more is all I need. If you are doing WW then that is only 1 point. Not too bad, huh?

iloveflipflops
12-05-2006, 10:52 AM
I haven't even heard of this spray - i will check it out. Sounds perfect!! Thanks Nicole!

cindi
12-05-2006, 11:25 AM
by using juice instead od oil, and also Chicken stock/broth! The broth one is yummy, just use the low sodium low fat ones. Mix the with yummy vinagers such as red wine, champagn, or balsalmic, add some herb, crushed black pepper. If you add some dijon mustard and process it in a food processer it will get nice and thick.
Also my mom makes me waldorf salad with a lowfgat yougurt dressing.
Does this help??
Now I want a salad!
:)

moosemama
12-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I have a balsamic vinegarette that I really love-but it uses olive oil. I don't know if it's low calorie or not, but I don't use much and it's very spreadable, so it doesn't goop on the salad.
ingredients
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
a pinch of sugar
lemon juice
minced garlic
minced red onion or shallot
salt
pepper
I can't imagine using a Tablespoon or two would be terrible-the olive oil is supposed to be a good fat, so your body appreciates it!:)
I copied the applbees salad with apple, lettuce, walnuts, blue cheese, etc. and topped it with this. It is wonderful!

workin4stamps
12-05-2006, 11:58 AM
My favorite kind of dressing is ranch, so I use Kraft Light Done Right dressings.....I recently bought the 3 cheese flavor....and I think it's only a couple of points on my salad. I will have to check for sure when I get home.

Traci

teabear
12-05-2006, 12:06 PM
so I just put a little on the side and dip my fork in it, then pick up the salad. I don't use much this way. Also, if I add a little bit of cottage cheese mixed in the salad I don't need salad dressing.

Christie
12-05-2006, 01:01 PM
I got this info from a tv show.They said that when you are picking salad dressing this is what it should say:

serving size: 2 tablespoons
3 grams of total fat (or less)
2 grams of saturated fat (or less)
300 mg of sodium (or less)

This is considered a "healthy dressing". I haven't actually put this to the test to see how hard it is to find one like this but thought I'd share the info with you.

workin4stamps
12-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I got this info from a tv show.They said that when you are picking salad dressing this is what it should say:

serving size: 2 tablespoons
3 grams of total fat (or less)
2 grams of saturated fat (or less)
300 mg of sodium (or less)

This is considered a "healthy dressing". I haven't actually put this to the test to see how hard it is to find one like this but thought I'd share the info with you.

good info! thanks for sharing!

Traci

My3Ds
12-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Sherri - Have you tried the spray on salad dressings. 10 squirts is considered a serving (at least that's what is says on the bottle). It really seems to help cut down on the amount you use by pouring. I have the Wish Bone italian. Give it a try.

cecescraps
12-05-2006, 05:00 PM
They are the only thing Starr Jones has admitted to using to lose her weight. If she can lose about 200 pds using them surely we can lose 20 or 30:nod:

iloveflipflops
12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I am going to get some TONITE :). They sound awesome!!

scrappersuz
12-15-2006, 07:46 PM
I agree with Erin....for me salads are not diet food. I don't like low/no cal dressing and I like the extras on mine also....gotta have the meat and chhes on it!
Suz

bubblegum girl
12-15-2006, 09:46 PM
i love the mango vinagrette from Superstore (any CDN girls would now what it is) it goes awesome with chicken and mixed greens and is only 1 pt per tbl spoon