PDA

View Full Version : Brian's off the grid!

Erin K
12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
So we try to pull our credit reports. I'm glad we did, all my stuff is in good standing, but a few cards I thought were closed show as open but in good standing. So I need to contact those companies and close the accounts..

Brian however can't pull credit, There is no info for him. He's never had a credit card or a loan or anything so he decided to get the Toys R Us card (we shop there a lot) and keep it all paid off, and start building a bit of credit that way. Well they can't give him a card because there is no info about him. Brian just doesn't exist I guess!

So he's working on getting that fixed up. See he works at CitiBank and we want to get a Citicard because as an employee we'd get special deals, rates and extra point thingies. We don't have ANY credit cards right now. Which is nice in some ways, no bills, but we really should have at least one for emergencies and stuff.

Ok, there's too much of my personal info! hehe, but really does anyone know what we should do about Brian's not existing?

toao
12-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Perhaps he has been the victim of identity theft! This happens all the time.

I can't believe he doesn't have a credit card...especially since he works in banking. That's one of the first things I was told when I started....build your credit. That baffles me.

Tori loved your Get Well card BTW. She said, "Man Erin's just sending me all kinds of stuff". Hehehehee

Mary

mydogstinks2
12-05-2006, 10:49 AM
That is too funny!! I have a card for emergencies only too! Thankfully ther has not been any scrapbooking related ones lately!

My Grandma had a problem like that too. She had to move to a new apartment, she had not lived on her own for years and years, well when she tried to get a phone it was almost impossiable! They keep saying she didn't have enough credit to get the phone hooked up! Finally after a month we got that all takin care of.

workin4stamps
12-05-2006, 01:10 PM
keep trying. that's all you can do. Some department stores are better about giving someone a "first" credit card than others. I seem to recall that my first ever card was with JcPenney.

It's not unusual for someone with no credit to have no information out there. Until they actually start using credit, there is nothing to score. We see it at the bank all the time.

I don't think he's a victim of identity theft just because he has no record. Usually when someone steals your identity they apply for lots of accounts in your name, and then the opposite happens. Things pop up on your credit report that you're not familiar with. It's good to check your credit at least once a year to make sure everything looks as it should. All 3 of the major credit bureaus are required to give you one free report per year.

Since you do have some established credit Erin, why don't you guys apply for a few joint cards? Those will score on his credit report as well.

HTH
Traci

Erin K
12-05-2006, 01:15 PM
that's probably what we will end up doing. Getting a joint card or two. Poor guy says to me, "Do I need credit?". Silly Brian...He thinks because we own our house and cars we will never need credit... He also seemed to think that because we own the house that should automaticly give him good credit.. I"m like, "owning a house does not reflect on how well you would handle credit, it's like the opposite of credit"

lost luggage
12-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I don't carry a credit card either. I have credit... we have money in the bank. I guess we don't need it. ?? Doesn't he have a debit card? Congratulations on owning everything! That's how we are too. :)

Here (http://creditcards.com/How-Many-Credit-Cards-Do-You-Need.php) is an interesting article.

treeclimber
12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Hey Erin,

If Brian doesn't exist, then who was that cool guy with you at Chili's in Greensboro?

I agree with Joanne, department stores are a good place to start. I think my first was JC Penny too! Or maybe a gas card?

Good luck,

Deb :cute:

lost luggage
12-05-2006, 07:39 PM
It's been so long for me....but why won't your bank give him a credit card? Why not start there?

mahodgman
12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I think you should start by applying for a joint credit card or something. When I met DH, he didn't have any credit either.....it is almost as bad as having bad credit. So, we ended up doing most everything with me as the primary. Now, his score is a couple of points higher than mine. That really burns me up too!