PDA

View Full Version : Caution about AInk Ornaments!

directmailscrapper
12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I have been picking up all of the AInk supplies (using my coupons) for my daughter's Christmas Craft party on Saturday. I found the glass ornaments 50% off at J's so I bought a bunch.

Last nite I figured I had better make one so I could show the girls what they would look like -- and give them advice. I put on the first layer of ink -- and remember what I had read on some of the other posts. I put the glittery, watery glue inside, poured out the excess (I liked the look of the white glue -- thought I might try some with white acrylic since the glue dries clear). Then I decided I needed a bit more AInk on the outside. I guess I was a LITTLE too determined -- the glass bulb shattered in my hand! I didn't get cut, but I did make a mess!

I think I'm going to have the girls work on plastic trays so that if they drop their balls -- or if they shatter -- the mess will be more contained. It was fun, and the ornament I later made was gorgeous.

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll post pix from the Craft Party.

Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

Nancy

flyingflower
12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
The ones from Big Lots I started with are so thin you could shatter them by sneezing - lol! The 80mm balls I got from AC moore and the heart ones from M's are solid.

flyingflower
12-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I put a layer of the watered down glue in & coat the whole inside, then I pour in glitter (I got a little funnel at M's because the rolled paper I used kept unrolling), and shake it to coat the whole thing. I add more glitter if needed to coat all the glue

mcourtney
12-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Do you do the glue/glitter thing before the AI or after?:err:

Erin K
12-05-2006, 04:59 PM
My glitter part was a huge mess so I scraped that part and just have non-glittered ones, that's ok right?

oh and mine had all this broken glass in the box, but none of my ornaments were broken! So be careful with them!

lost luggage
12-05-2006, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=Erin K;14118]My glitter part was a huge mess so I scraped that part and just have non-glittered ones, that's ok right?

[QUOTE]

Why not?! :) Artist discretion.

Whoopsie Daisy!
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow... glad you were okay and didn't get cut, Nancy!
I haven't come across this problem. I have to rub hard when I use rub-ons and have always been worried about the ornament shattering, but it hasn't happened yet... touch wood! My ornaments come from M's.

Last night, I was pouring Glitter ModPodge (it already comes with glitter and is thinner than reg. ModPodge) into the ornaments. I wanted more bling, so I just added Dazzling Diamonds glitter and Iridescent Ice EP into the glue first and then pouring it into the ornament. I wanted it to dry quicker, so I carefully used my heat gun and allowed the air to blow into the hole. But be warned... the ornaments get REALLY hot really fast. Don't burn your fingers!

I'm so excited to see everyone getting into alcohol inks!

:cute: Jane

Far North
12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
My glitter part was a huge mess so I scraped that part and just have non-glittered ones, that's ok right?

We individually get to define what looks good to us!
Enjoy whatever you make!
...Jan