PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Spanish Rice recipe

Christie
03-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Does any one have a recipe on how to make spanish rice. I promised someone a mexican dish and thought the rice would be a nice touch.

tesschap
03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm not a big fan of Spanish Rice but I do make it from time to time. Here's a recipe my mom uses. I prefer Ragu spagetti sauce vs. salsa when I make it. Sometimes I will also brown some hamburg and add it as well.

2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup chunky salsa

Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Mix rice into skillet, stirring often. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth and salsa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.

cindi
03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
it's called Lipton rice mix!! lol
I just add a pat of buter & 2 cups of water, I do also like to add soem fresh Cilantro If I have any.
sorry not much help
:)

logcabincreations
03-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I use the package mix like Cindi....but there are other brands too like Rice A Roni....lol

Christie
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
it's called Lipton rice mix!! lol
I just add a pat of buter & 2 cups of water, I do also like to add soem fresh Cilantro If I have any.
sorry not much help
:)

LOL! Well I don't like the liptons stuff and my mom hates it. I am cooking dinner for her one night this week so I figured I'd better make something she likes! :D

JBgreendawn
03-20-2008, 01:42 PM
okay here's mine:

in a separate pot cook some white rice the way you normally do it. ( i do it in a casserole dish with a lid in the oven for 30 minutes) (1 cup cooked rice)

brown 1 Pound ground beef in a skillet with one chopped onion. ( yellow medium is fine) while the rice is cooking. drain the grease.

after in a large skillet mixed the cooked beef and onion with the rice and add 8oz. can Old el Paso green chillies (chopped) , 1 jar of salsa ( we make ours from scratch and can it ) 1 8oz can of tomato sauce, ( and maybe a half a cup of frozen corn kernels)

now we do this two ways, sometime put this into a casserole dish and cover with shredded cheddar cheese. and or blanch some green bell peppers. (stuff the cleaned inside halves with the rice mixture) then cover with cheese into the casserole dish.

into the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and call it good.

hth,