PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Ex Help

patg
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Does anybody know what else to do with pearl ex? I need something quick and easy and not too messy for next stamp class.

I showed them how use it with versamark and then rub on the powder. I would like to show them more techniques with pearl ex, but I know the majority of the group cannot handle difficult tasks.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Pat

Erin K
12-06-2006, 05:21 PM
You an mix it with embossing powder to make cool effects.

That's all I've got I actually hated mine and got rid of it.. Sorry!

michelle328
01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
You can mix it with a bit of gum arabic and use it to paint on your image. Once it's dried, it doesn't have to be sealed. I've also used it on images like butterflies where you want some irridescense...I spread it on with a cotton swab. This does have to be sealed, tho, or it will rub off. You can also mix it in with some watercolor or acrylic paint...gives a nice shiney sparkle to it.

HTH
Michelle

KylaMaestas
01-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Pearl Ex is one of my favorite products, love the shimmer. You can mix it with elmer's glue and heat it up with a heating tool. It will bubble and create an amazing texture for backgrounds, you can also use it to fill in an image with texture and color.

It can also be used with a Versmark pad like you would use chalks... just stamp image in versmark and then stipple pearl ex over the top.

I like to use the Lumiere with saran wrap for a fun background, simply put a puddle on a paper plate or piece of aluminum foil.... scrunch up some plastic wrap and sponge from Lumiere puddle to cardstock. You can use this over the top of stamped image or patterned paper for nice effects.

Hope these ideas help!:cool:

tesschap
01-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I mix Pearl Ex with a travel size bottle of hair spray and create neat back ground paper.

Teresa

patg
01-09-2007, 01:04 AM
You can mix it with a bit of gum arabic and use it to paint on your image. Once it's dried, it doesn't have to be sealed. I've also used it on images like butterflies where you want some irridescense...I spread it on with a cotton swab. This does have to be sealed, tho, or it will rub off. You can also mix it in with some watercolor or acrylic paint...gives a nice shiney sparkle to it.

HTH
Michelle

What's gum arabic?
Pat

tesschap
01-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I think it's the same as rubber cement.

Teresa

hutchink
01-09-2007, 09:47 AM
You put future floor wax in a paint brush (you know those one's that you can fill) an use it to color your images. It seals it down it is awesome.

~K

kerry
01-09-2007, 05:41 PM
You can also stamp black fimo clay with an image and then rub the pearl ex on that. Then bake the fimo clay in the oven (or toaster oven) for about 10-15 minutes. I've made lots of pins and neclaces with this technique and it is very simple!!! Here's a link to a necklace I made using this technique:

http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/pg.asp?cmd=display&layout_id=477782

PS...You can also make handmade charms and buttons this way too.

Kerry

michelle328
01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Gum arabic is a liquid you can get at an art supply store. It's fairly clear and quite thick. It's a fixative; quite easy to use...I just put a couple drops in a little thingie (hehe, technical term: I use an old bottle cap or such) and dip your brush into it and then the Pearl Ex. If you're going to be doing a large area, you can actually mix them up in the cup first and then paint with them.

As "K" (I'm sorry, I don't know your name!) said, you can also use Future. I've done this but not with a water brush; just dipped in the wax and then in the PE. It tends to add a bit of "stiffness", too.

HTH
Michelle

limeyscrapper
01-15-2007, 08:57 AM
I love Pearl-Ex. One of my favourite techniques is to run a piece of transparency through the Xyron, peel it off, and brush Pearl-Ex on the sticky side. Just swirl on a few different colours. Flip it over and stamp on the other side with staz-On. No need to seal it of course, because the Pearl-Ex is on the other side of the tranparency, so it's protected from fingers!

brunosmom
01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I made a card at stamp club where we stamped a butterfly on a transparancy sheet (with staz-on) and on the reverse side we used that blue 2 way glue pen to color in portions of the wings. Then we dusted with pearl-ex. Then you attach the sheet to the card, right side up and it was a very pretty, subtle effect. hth

moosemama
01-18-2007, 01:06 PM
I LOVE pearl ex!! I use my versa mark pad and stamp a background, then I used a cotton ball to lightly brush on the pearl ex. I set it with cheap hairspray. I have heard of using it with gum arabic, which can be powder or liquid, depending on how you want to buy/mix it. I haven't done that yet. I have also taken some paper clay(I forget the exact name, it comes in a black bag, a very lightweight clay, it air dries) and added some of the pearl ex or even embossing powder, mixed it up real good(the darker colors of EP like copper ect work real well) and then rolled the clay flat, stamped an image in black ink and then used them for an embellishment on a card. I even used them for my kids rooms for a little saying that hung from a nail. I just punch a hole in the top with a straw and then let it air dry. Clear as mud? They are pretty light using that clay paper stuff. Maybe it's called perfect paper clay??? I got it at M's.
Everyone has such great tips to share!!