PDA

View Full Version : Advice about Copics

Robinkay
03-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I am thinking of purchasing some copics.(thanks to the gorgeous card Ethel sent me) Should I buy a group of them(like Hanna sells) or should I get them like at HL? If I get them one by one...which ones do you think I should get! And they are the Sketch ones right? TIA

Vintagegal
03-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Robin, I'd start with Skin White (for coloring the 'flesh' on people stamps). I used this color on the image on the card I sent to you.

I color in a lot of images of people, so my focus, when I bought the markers, was to think of hair color and skin tone. If you are also planning to do this, I would also buy Brick Beige, Sienna (for dark brown hair), and Buttercup (for blonde hair). A lot of your choice of colors is going to be purely personal preference. But, definitely, get the Skin White.

As far as markers in green, I personally like Lettuce, Yellow Green and Willow. For red (like for coloring lips), I went with Lipstick Red. For cheek color, I believe I got Pale Pink. For creating a "shadow" on the ground, I will sometimes use Cool Grey.

With all of the rest, it's just whatever strikes your fancy. Ask for a piece of scrap paper to write or color on when you go to HL. That's how I make my choices. I don't go by what the color looks like on the marker itself. I test it on a piece of paper. Sometimes, I don't like the color once I see it on paper. Also, give it a few seconds to dry. Sometimes, when you first apply it on the paper it looks dark. It lightens up and gets more bold after a few seconds.

Do you have a Dick Blick's in your town? They have three-times the amount of markers as Hobby Lobby. I am a frequent-buyer member of that store, and I get my markers almost 60-cents off the listed price. But, if I can get them at 25% off, I'll buy what I don't have from Hobby Lobby.

I have the Sketch markers, yes. Dual tip. Brush on one end, chisel tip on the other end.

iloveflipflops
03-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Have you tried any yet? I have been buying a few at a time at HL with coupons to see if I like them. I have gotten the colors I like best, green and pink. I am not too crazy about them because they bleed with the ink I use and i just don't feel like finding a new ink. LOL I do love the Cool Gray C1 for outlining.

ccstampin12
03-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I've used these at LSS a few times, but have not bought any. I think they are very pricey!
Joanie

Robinkay
03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Wow Ethel...that is some great advice! I'm gonna print that out. :+)
Sherri- Nope havent tried them yet...yesterday at HL I looked and touched but didnt buy any! I don't have any markers! So I thought I might as well get these right?
Joanie-Yes they are expensive! But from what I've seen they have replacement part!
refills etc. I'm not gonna go hog wild BUT I just LOVED the card Ethel made! I have to at least try them!

directmailscrapper
03-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Robin, I agree with Ethel. I have 3 skin tones YR000 Silk, E01 Pink Flamingo and E00 Skin white. A normal person would probably only need 1 or two (I obviously am not normal). I like having 2 shades of the same color because it allows you to shade. If you were getting 2 skin tones, I would go with EITHER YR000 OR EOO and E01 Pink Flamingo.

Another color I use a Lot is E33 sand -- a medium tan.

My advice is to pick up colors a few at a time instead of buying a set. I would recommend buying the LIGHTER colors as Copics -- you can add shading and depth with Prisma pencils if you want -- but with the Copics you get a strong and vibrant base color.

Also -- if you go to the copic website -- you can request a color chart. This is pretty handy, since the colors on a monitor aren't as true. I currently own 23 Copics. I have a "wish" list with almost 30 more colors!

You should acquaint yourself with how the colors are numbered -- there is a system. For example, GO2 -- the G means Green. The O is a type of green and the 2 is the shade. So GO4 would be a darker shade of GO2.

I'm bringing my Copics to Shackapaloosa if you want to play with them first!

Vintagegal
03-21-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm bringing my Copics to Shackapaloosa if you want to play with them first!

Ooohhh.....Robin, I would play with them first before investing in them. Get a feel for them, first. They are pricey, and I'd hate for you to buy even just one and decide they're not for you.

mydogstinks2
03-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Ya'll are killing me here!! I can not buy new markers!! I have my SU ones and hardly ever use them. I "think" I will try them at Shackapaloosa and if I fall in love I'm going to buy some then sell the SU markers.

One person does not need a billion markers...stamps yes but not markers! LOL

Robinkay
03-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah Chris but they look really nice! It's kinda like Grunge board...why do you need that? Isnt it just softer chipboard?