PDA

View Full Version : Blogging and submitting to mags

1of2shoes
03-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Who knows this:

If you make a card and you blog it or post in a gallery somewhere, and then you decide you're going to submit it for publication, do you have to remove it from the blog/gallery at that time or do you wait to pull it after it's been accepted/published?

Or do you not blog or put in a gallery at all knowing you are submitting for publication? Are there rules out there somewhere?

Vintagegal
03-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Typically, magazines don't want you posting it somewhere first, when there's a chance it will be published. One of the reasons is they don't want an idea or technique to be massed produced by so many crafters (who think your card is just da bomb). By the time they publish your card, then, it'll be an 'old idea' rather than something that's fresh. But, I was told by Stampington that there's a slim chance that ALL rubber stampers or cardmakers visit the same websites as you do, so they're not way too concerned about it. However, if your blog gets a lot of traffic, or your work gets a lot of attention on popular papercrafting circles, it's probably best not to post your 'potentially published' artwork until AFTER the magazines have decided what they want to do.

My cards are in the current Stampers Sampler (Point of View) and I held off for almost a year, before showing the cards on my blog. I actually forgot I submitted the cards in the first place.

IMBlessed5
03-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Some of the ones I sent in to Just Cards had been posted in galleries and/or my blog. I guess they're not that picky either. But usually, like Ethel said, most magazines want UNpublished work.

Erin K
03-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Just Cards doesn't mind, I know Papercrafts does mind. I guess Stampington is on the fence then?

I just read the submission guidelines really carefully and see what they say about it.

1of2shoes
03-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok, I understand that. Thanks.

Here's another question....

What if you take a stamped image or a digital image of a stamp and use it in a design (Erin you know what I'm talking about), is that technically "stamped" or is it a digital design? It's still using stamps, but not paper and ink, just a printer.

The reason I'm asking this, is that I have something I want to submit and it is done using digital images (PhotoShop) of the stamp art, used by permission of the owner of the images. If I have manipulated these images into a stamped design, does that count as stamping? If I had all the designs in rubber, I could definitely re-create the same piece of art.

Ok, I'll stop beating around the bush and show you what I'm talking about. Stampers Sampler has a Tempting Template that they are asking for submissions. I used their template according to their rules and created this in PS. It measures 6x6. Is it submittable or just a piece of art for personal use? Please tell me before I put it in the mail today.

Photo removed. Thank you for all your input.

hutchink
03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Send it in...it is freakin awesome! I do not think the digital part is a problem since it is all good with the stamp owner!

Good Luck!

lakeslady
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
That is a must for publication.................you go for it, but I agree with Ethel I would be careful where you post it.
In fact to play safe, I personally would not put it up on a blog or in a gallery, for that design is truly too good to miss out on being published!!!

ccstampin12
03-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Debbie,
They put those tempting templates in the magazine as a challenge for an upcoming issue. It is meant to be submitted. The magazine has the same image as the internet site, so I'm saying you're good to go! And this is awesome!
Joanie

Erin K
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Debbie, yes, I know what you mean. I'd send it and in this case I'd just say "stamped" and not really get into the particulars. ;)

teabear
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
I agree with everyone else and want to add that hybrid stuff is really hot. Anything that combines stamping with computer work is really cutting edge. If stampington doesn't pub it, I'd shop it around to some other places. Take your photo off here, too.

Vintagegal
03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
So long as there is a stamped "something" on the card or project, you are good to go. It doesn't have to be a stamped focal image. It can be part of the background or embellishment.

Deborah
03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I post just about everything I make to my blog...as long as I remember to do it (lol)

If any get published, I DO take them off major card making websites (ie twoPeas etc), but I leave them on my blog.

I look at it like this: if a mag has a circ of, say, 100,000 , i KNOW there aren't 100,000 crafters who visit my blog (lol), so I just don't worry about it. :cute:

Now if a blog gets the kind of traffic that Godelieve's does, for example (350,000 hits and counting!), THEN I think I might remove it till it was published. But mine's just an eeensie weensie thing. :rolleyes:

So unless a blog gets that kind of attention, I'd go against popular opinion and say...post away!

Oh! And I never worry about posting things here at the Shack. I don't think many mag editors would pay the membership fee to see what we're doing (lol), so this feels like a really safe place to post anything/everything we're thinking of submitting!

I missed seeing your card, rats!! Bet it was fabulous!