PDA

View Full Version : I enjoyed the last of my Dad's bread this morning

MidwestStamper
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
During my whole life, my Dad would bake bread from scratch during the winter months. He had some special recipes (that no one ever wrote down!). He made little individual breads in white (with anise seeds on the top), wheat/cornmeal with goatcheese crumbles on the top; and this fold-over bread that had goatscheese in the inside (called empanadas in Spanish).

I have enjoyed these every year and never gave thought that some day there would be no more. Since my Dad died in January, this bread I ate this morning was the last one made by his hands. I ate it slowly and savored it (and I smelled it too!). It was kind of an emotional experience. I felt like I was saying good-bye to another part of him.

So, moral of the story is: enjoy the people in your life and what they bring to you. Don't take them for granted (even if they can be annoying sometimes!)

I posted the above over at Paper Crafts this morning, since they'd had an annimated conversation about 'smells' yesterday that started with talking about how strong crafting glue can smell. Anyway, I wanted to share my thoughts here too.

HeatherJ
03-28-2008, 03:37 PM
How special! I saved the last of my dad's last batch of soup he made the weekend he passed away. It is in a Tupperware dish in my freezer, labelled, so as not to be eaten accidently, it is now 16 years old!

MidwestStamper
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I thought of freezing and saving the bread too--but I know it gets 'freezer burn' and I wanted to enjoy it one more time (but thinking about it, I should have taken a picture of it so I could remember it, more than just in my mind!)

fallingstar
03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
How very special. Thank you for sharing this with us. My heart goes out to you.
Doreen

Vintagegal
03-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Lidia, That is very touching. You could look at it, too, as making your father's creation (the loaf of bread) as part of your body. Like you and he have joined again, rather than saying goodbye.

threefriends91
03-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh Linda my heart is crying for you, l don't even know what to say but l'm sure your dad would have wanted you to eat and enjoy this last peace of bread..
Thank you for reminding me once again to enjoy each day we have with our loved ones. l am so sorry l can't be their to give you a hug but l am sending up
prayers for you and here is a big HUG from me..

Christie
03-28-2008, 04:36 PM
You made me cry. What a special moment for you. I"m sure it was hard and I'm sure it was good too. He was probably up in heavn smiling down on you as you ate your last piece of bread.

lakeslady
03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I am lost for words Lidia.............

kimmyqtgirl
03-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Awe that is a wonderful memory! I know there are many of my grandmothers recipes we never wrote down too. I have been making my mom write down any of my favorites even though alot of her recipes are from memory.

I hope you enjoyed your bread this morning with thoughts of your dad.
HUGS

scrapsoon
03-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Oh dear Lidia...
So pure and simple this bread is but so huge and strong the feelings and emotions are around the bread.
Normally you never have think of bread like that,but know it's heartwarming to hear you speak about your father.

loobylou
03-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks fpr sharing your heartwarming story. I'm all teary now. What a special moment
(((Hugs))) to you