PDA

View Full Version : AI Instructions, where to buy, what supplies do I need???

dublintoo
12-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I have been seeing these all over this site and now I am interested. I'd like to try to make a few for Christmas gifts. I've seen the glass ornaments at Michaels, but what other supplies do I need, where do I get them....M's or ACMoore?? I don't know of a Hobby Lobby around here. If I have to order them then that's fine too. Lastly, where would I be able to find the instructions??? Thanks to you all.........they are really beautiful!

Jeanne

Erin K
12-07-2006, 09:59 AM
You need
The glass balls
Alcohol inks, (I think most of us have been using Ranger Alcohol Inks, but there are other companies.) I think they have these at Michaels now. Definately online...
Either a krylon leafing pen (any metalic color) or the metalic mixatives if you want the metalic look mixed in (Which I recomend)
Something to apply the ink with. (You can use a cottonball, but it's better to invest in or make a felt applicator. You can either buy the one Ranger makes or you can just attach the hook part of hook and loop tape to one end of a piece of wood and then you just cut felt to stick on there., this uses way less ink than the cottonball so it will really save you money in the long run)

Take your favorite color of Alcohol Ink and put it on your felt applicator, if you have the krylon leafing pen dab that on there too. You can put more than one color on at a time if you'd like. Then just dab it all over the ornament. On the outside, there are techniques where you put ink on the inside, but this particular look goes on the outside.

There are endless variations. You can put white paint on the inside to make it more opaque, you can put glitter with glue on the inside, glitter on the outside... anything you can think of.

The Alcohol Inks are a little pricey, but you can use them for tons of projects, they last forever. And you'd have all the stuff for the "polished stone" technique, which is basicly the same thing on glossy cardstock.

Have fun!

mahodgman
12-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Check out this thread http://stamp-shack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1070&highlight=alcohol+ink with Jan/Far North's instructions in the first post. It is a really fun project! You will need some alcohol inks and felt. You can buy an applicator made especially for these inks like this http://www.rangerink.com/product_adirdkinkapplica.html I got mine from a secret sister and then I found them at a local craft store called Artco. I have never seen them at Joannes or Michaels. Jan does hers with watered down glue and glitter on the inside of the ornament, but I didn't do that part, so I'd say it is optional.

emmcee
12-07-2006, 11:43 AM
I just checked with A C Moore and Michael's in Winston-Salem, NC and they both have the alcohol inks for about $10 a set. So I'm going Sat am and get me a set of these that everyone is having such a blast with. :grin:

directmailscrapper
12-07-2006, 12:28 PM
The first thing you need is a coupon. Our Michaels doesn't carry the AInks, but our ACM does. The 3-pack of ink costs $10 -- so a 40% coupon is worthwhile. They have a 50% coupon for this Saturday -- do you have one? If not, I suggest you stop in the store today or tomorrow to pick up the flyer (get a couple of them) and then drag a family member along with you to use a couple of coupons!

The stamper thing costs $5. Since you are starting out, I would go ahead and buy one. Many of the ladies have posted that they made their own from wooden blocks or wooden stamp bases, but I bought mine (if you've read my recent posts, I actually bought about 8 of them since I am having a crafting party for my daughter this weekend!).

I think you need to buy the metallic ink pack (contains 2 colors of ink) because that really enhances the other colors. $10 before coupon.

I bought the fluid that thins/cleans up the AInk but I haven't used it yet.

SOOO -- with coupons -- you should be able to get a pretty good start in AInk for about $20 -- not bad!

Let me know how you make out!

Nancy

emmcee
12-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info Nancy! I'll have to scout around for a coupon now!:confused: